Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you think god is a bully?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Do you think god is a bully?

No. He's God; the Boss; the Creator and Sustainer of Everything; the Ground of All Reality. This might make Him seem like a "bully" to folks who want to be their own boss, their own god, and to do as they like. Such people find it...awkward to think that all they do they will one day answer for to the One who is truly God and Ruler Over All. It even feels to them like God is insisting on His will and way - bullying them - though they are in His universe that He created and that keeps going only because He wills that it should.

First, why would you think God is a bully?

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

The word translated "evil" is from a Hebrew word kelalah that means adversary, affliction, calamity, distress and misery. This is what God has created and puts on those who He has cursed for their rebellion against God so they know "I AM" in all sovereignty. Deuteronomy 27:11-26.

God is righteous and all His judgements are righteous.

2Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Timothy 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2Timothy 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

No. But to the egotistical who want there way, not God's way, his inflexibility about sin causes the egotistical to assume because God doesn't agree with them, he must be a bully.
I usually just reply to the OP, but your point brings to mind the "Burglar logical fallacy". The Burglar knocks and nobody answers so they assume nobody is home. Likewise an atheist prays, does not get the answer they want so therefore "God does not exist". But what the burglar assumed was no answer = not home. In fact, the guy was sitting on the toilet, did not want to answer the door, and was polishing his magnum 357 revolver because he loves his guns and has that constitutional right. Next thing we know, the burglar breaks in... need I say more?

Satan is the bully.
Revelation chapter 12 . Satan is the accusser. He accuses Christian people daily before throne of God.
When Christian repents sins to God. Satan try's to throw those repented sins back in face of the Christian.

Job chapter 1 . Satan put Job through hell. Job lost every thing and preserved. Job never accused God of his suffering.
Satan was the one who tortured job.

Whos the bully ????

Do you think god is a bully? :) :chin

[Do you think God is a bully?]

Short A = No.

Being in his image, if he were a bully that would make bullying part of ideal nature for us. In which case if we aren’t bullies, we jolly well ought to be.

C S Lewis (A Grief Observed) toyed for a while with the idea of God being Cosmic Sadist (sadism: a form of bullying), as if God had inflated his balloon of happiness (Joy lived) only to burst it (Joy died). Later Lewis saw that that balloon had been—like a house of cards—of his own making. Tolkien had a similar idea: what the Valar built for good, Morgoth destroyed for ill, but a residue was formed and Ilúvatar was pleased (good overall out of chaos).

The biblical doctrine of creaturely freewill is contrary to the idea of a bully forcing their way on any victim (dominance: a form of bullying). Our No can defeat God (C S Lewis: Problem of Pain).

There are biblical texts which show the mindset of ultimacy, eg goodwill & illwill flow ultimately from deity as creator—though not as controller: Stalin existed because God created. Determinism & non-Determinism operate within creation (C S Lewis: Miracles). NB: God can give pleasure and pain, weal and woe, but always from good motivation. Joseph’s brothers unknowingly worked with God; their evil motivation worked with his good motivation (Gen.50:21). Similarly with the cross.

If bullying is contrary to love, and God is love, God cannot bully (Law of Noncontradiction). Which is not to say that he cannot forcibly get our attention and demand a choice (eg Saul of Tarsus).

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back