Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Peter not the rock nor the first Pope

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is a common logical fallacy called false dilemma, and this is one of the biggest challenges in biblical study. Many statements may seem to be contradictory on face value unless you understand the proper context and references.

What is temporary to Lord Jesus is like 2000 years plus to us - “one day with the Lord is like a thousand years and a thousand years one day.” Yes, of course He will come back to us, and I believe it’s near, as near as the 2030s, but that hasn’t happened, we’re not there yet. We’re not left orphans as we’ve received the Holy Spirit.
Maybe you could explain the "proper context and references" that puts the three Greek verbs in 2 Corinthians 13:5 (which are all present tense, active voice, and indicative mood verbs) into the future.

Doyounotknowyourselves,thatJesusChristis
►12ἢ10οὐκ11ἐπιγινώσκετε12ἑαυτοὺς13ὅτι14Ἰησοῦς15Χριστὸς16ἐστίν19
οὐἐπιγινώσκωἑαυτοῦὅτιἸησοῦςΧριστόςεἰμί
ηουγινωσκωαυτοςοτιΙησουςΧριστοςειμι
CLDBN TNVPAI2PRF2APMCSCNNSMNNSMVPAI3S
inyou?unlessindeedyouaredisqualified.
ἐν17ὑμῖν18εἰ20 μή21τι22ἐστε24ἀδόκιμοί23
ἐνσύεἰ μήτὶςεἰμίἀδόκιμος
ενσυει μητιςειμιδοκιμαζω
PRP2DPCAC TRX-NSNVPAI2PJNPM
The New King James Version (2 Co 13:5). (1982). Thomas Nelson.

If a person does not know (at this very moment in time) that Christ is (at this very moment in time) in them, it may be an indication that he is (at this very moment in time) not really a child of God.

Catholic Church doesn’t own Jesus, Christianity is not their intellectual property. Jesus’s physical presence extends to all nations on earth, not just Western Europe. The bottom line is, if you believe that the church is the body of Christ and the presence of his kingdom, then that’s his physical presence.
If not Catholic, what denomination teaches that Jesus does not live in the hearts of believers but that the church itself is His physical presence?

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

It wasn't Peter that the Church was built on, but Christ is the rock as being the foundation or cornerstone that the Church (the body of Christ) is built on and no where in scripture does it name the Catholic Church as the one true Church or Protestant Church as the one true Church, but says in Acts 11:26 that the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch as Christ is the foundation of the true Church not made by hands. Acts 1:1-8; 2:1-4 the apostles were instructed to stay in Jerusalem until they received power from God and then they were filled with the Holy Spirit before they could start their journey of being witnesses of Christ to teach others about the kingdom of God through Christ.

There was no apostle greater than another as they all had the same anointing and taught others from their own individual witness of Christ and His teachings as being faithful servants, even as Christ was while here on Earth.
Luke 22:
24 And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.
25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.
26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.
27 For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.

Matthew 8:14 shows that Peter was married and according to the Catholic belief a Pope can not be married so Peter could have never been the first Pope or ever had a procession of Popes after him. Peter never went to Rome to establish the Catholic Church, but wrote his letters to those who were scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 1Peter 1:1.
Peter wrote his letters from Babylon (Babylon as being referenced in Rev 17 as the Great Harlot) as Peter spent the last years of his life in Rome as Rome at that time was described as a center of adultery. Peter wrote his letters to the Church (body of Christ and not a building made by hands) possibly around 64AD right before the full outbreak of Christian persecution by the hand of Rome's Nero. Paul's letters were also addressed to all who are beloved of God in Rome. Not the Roman Catholic Church, but those who were beloved of God established by that rock which is Christ Jesus and not Peter. The last chapter of the book of Romans Paul sends greetings to 27 members of the church (the body of Christ), but never mentions Peter. According to the tradition of the Catholic Church of Rome, Peter was there from 42 to 67 AD. Paul wrote the book of Romans around 58 AD. Now if Peter was in Rome from 42 to 67 AD that means by 58 AD that Peter should have been there for about 16 years. Not only that but the Catholic Church tradition tells us that he was the first Pope. Why didn't Paul acknowledge Peter in His writings as being the head of the Catholic Church (Pope) since he was addressing those who were beloved of God that lived there. The reason Paul didn't mention Peter is because Peter wasn't there. Peter was crucified by Nero prior to Nero's death in 68 AD. Why would Catholic Rome crucify their own Pope.

Galatians 2:
7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me (Paul), as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.
11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Good morning Deb, how are you all? and thank you.

Love always, Walter

Matt. 26:64 It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.
Jn. 7:33 I shall be with you a little while longer, and then I go to Him who sent Me.
Jn. 14:1 "I go to prepare a place for you."
Jn. 16:5-7 “But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you
Jn. 16:16 A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me, because I go to the Father.”
Acts 1:9 Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.
Acts 7:56 “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!
Rev. 12:5 She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne.
You initially said that Jesus "is in heaven, not on earth," but when presented with verses that clearly state he will live in us, as he said himself, you merely post verses that show he ascended. But that doesn't actually address the issue and seems to be a case of begging the question. You need to show how all the verses make sense as a whole.

This is particularly important because of this:

Eph 2:6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, (ESV)

Does this mean we are physically in heaven? Of course not. Are we there in some sense spiritually in Christ? That would seem to be the case. Given that then, how can you argue that Christ cannot be in us spiritually, as he said he would be, and only in heaven physically?

Most importantly, Jesus Christ comes in the FLESH, not just in ethereal, abstract spirit, this is the only litmus test that tells the Holy Spirit from all false spirits. Your understanding seems to have failed this test.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. (1 Jn. 4:1-3)
John isn't saying Jesus comes in the flesh, but that he came in the flesh. The verb for "having come" is in the perfect participle active form, meaning that it was an action completed in the past with results that are relevant to the present. John's point is that Jesus was truly human over against those who would deny his humanity, such as Docetists and Gnostics.

You should be a little more careful in saying someone's "understanding seems to have failed this test."

Now I realize I am a redneck.
Nerve networks are in us (Imagery).

To transport a message from a hurt toe to the brain takes crossing nothing at times.

Jesus (The Word / The Law made flesh)
Jesus became a Life Giving Spirit
That quickening Spirit knocks at our door and enters if we open the door and sup with Him.

Jesus is both in us and we are in Him at the same time.

Messangers carry the messages (Angels).

The way we are made in his image tells us.

The mind of Christ allows us to understand.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back