Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question about my Bible reading plan

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The Bible I purchased included a 40 day reading plan for beginners. Each day gives you a little bit to read. I am more than halfway through. Would it be ok if I read multiple days within one day? Doing so would mean that I would complete the reading plan before 40 days.

Greetings QuestionGuy,
The Bible I purchased included a 40 day reading plan for beginners. Each day gives you a little bit to read. I am more than halfway through. Would it be ok if I read multiple days within one day? Doing so would mean that I would complete the reading plan before 40 days.
You should read whatever you feel comfortable with, and when you "graduate" from your plan you can move on to a larger plan. The following allows you to read THE OT once per year, and the NT twice each year. Although popular within my fellowship, I found this too much each day, and I decided to read only the first OT portion starting at Genesis last year, the second OT portion starting with the Psalms this year and the NT portions next year.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings Tenchi,
I would strongly urge you to check out the following:
www.ttb.org
Looks like a thorough going site with a good range of interest. I decided to try to see what matter is available on the Psalms as I am carefully considering some of these, but the Hyperlinks do not work properly. If you press the Psalms you get the Song of Solomon, and other links are faulty. Maybe I will learn to work around this, and find the Psalms.

One danger for QuestionGuy could be that if he gets too involved with your site, he may be subject to your and the site's theology. I consider we need to individually go to the Word first and meditate upon this, and then be open to other people's opinions about what we have read.

Kind regards
Trevor

Students of the bible should have king James companion bible. The original version of 1611 king James bible. Is modified.
It has both Greek and Hebrew. Cross reference, ect.
Students and teachers have to go back to the original Hebrew language and Greek.

Don't let anybody dictate how much you read everyday.
Your love for the word should be your guide.

Get a pocket bible for when you are standing in line at the grocery, restaurant, DMV, etc..

Greetings Anaphora,
Students of the bible should have king James companion bible.
I am not sure if you are speaking about Ethelbert W Bullinger's "The Companion Bible". If so, yes it is a scholarly work, but one of many useful reference books that could be used to gain an insight to a particular chapter, verse or word. I suggest the first step is to read a chapter and try to make sense of what it actually says. Only then turn to the many available resources to gain a greater insight. I like the Companion Bible in general, but disagree with some of his theology, a real trap for some beginners. Some of his "Appendix" section is good, but some is misleading and erroneous.

I like a very brief commentary on The Psalms, as it gives a breakup of The Psalm and then briefly gives an overall summary, and then a few comments on some aspects of each verse, including any difficult word or portion.
The original version of 1611 king James bible. Is modified.
I am not sure of what you are saying here.
It has both Greek and Hebrew. Cross reference, ect.
Students and teachers have to go back to the original Hebrew language and Greek.
If you are still talking about The Companion Bible, well yes, it can be useful, but for the meaning of a particular word, I would start with Strong's first, then Vine's OT and NT Dictionary, and then TWOT and TDNT before looking at The Companion Bible. But all of these reference books are well down the track for someone who has only just purchased a Bible with a 40-day suggested reading chart.

Kind regards
Trevor

I want to remind everyone that this is the Questions and Answers (Q&A) forum and this forum has specific rules about posting. Please refrain from engaging others' except the OP. This forum is set up for answering the OP's questions only. You can find these rules posted in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Greetings again Trenchi and Anaphora,
But isn't your suggestion here urging @QuestionGuy to conform to your approach to Bible study? Why should he follow your direction but not mine? What makes your recommendation better than what I offered to him? Nothing that I can see...

Oops. Made the post above and then saw WIP's request. Apologies.
I will respond, while trying to conform with WIP's request by rounding off my involvement in this thread with a few comments directly to QuestionGuy and his original question.

Yes, there are many scholars from whom we can gain benefit from, and we usually need to be careful of all their teachings and their position and status, and I consider that 1 Corinthians chapters 1-3 contain this lesson. I fell into this trap over a number of years in my youth.
The king James companion bible 0f 1611 is translated from original Hebrew and Greek to English. This is the only valid bible. I don't believe thier are any discrepancies in king James companion bible.
There is another thread on this subject, and perhaps you could give your reasons there. Actually it is a thread started by QuestionGuy and this shows that he is open to suggestions so that he can choose wisely.
Although you did not answer directly, it appears that you are not talking about Ethelbert W. Bullinger's "The Companion Bible", but some other obscure translation. E.W. Bullinger only has the KJV text.

I like the OT portion of my Interlinear Bible that has the RV and KJV in parallel only where they differ, and the RV gives a better translation, or choice of words in many instances. I do not like the NT portion of this Bible as much. I could quote Dr Ginsburg who was deeply involved in the OT portion of the RV on this matter. But there are many other translations that are useful.

So I suggest that QuestionGuy can relax and enjoy his 40 days recommended reading, and then his path is open to venture with God's helping hand to gradually learn more of God's glorious revelation centred in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Kind regards
Trevor

Back