Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Rev 4:3 contradicts gen 1:1 with proof in images

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There are no verses in the Bible that contradict one another.

Are you a Christian?
0959.jpg

26063.jpg

I go with John 1:18.
The only time man has seen God was when Jesus was incarnated.

Jacob wrestled with a man.
Or was it an angel.
We also wrestle with God on occasion.
It's a figure of speech.
The OT should not really be taken literally.
At least, some parts of it.

God is spirit.
Spirit is not visible to us.

Or was it an angel.
I believe Jacob was thinking Angel after the touch from the "man" disjointed Jacob's hip . What a pain that must have been :shock !
And Jacob did ask for a blessing .

24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

I believe Jacob was thinking Angel after the touch from the "man" disjointed Jacob's hip . What a pain that must have been :shock !
And Jacob did ask for a blessing .

24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
LOL
Hi Hawk
Yes, I thought it was an angel too, but I have too much going on right now to have checked.
Do you know that in Italy it was forbidden to read the OT until recently?
I found out when I moved here 23 years ago. I had never known this.
But I'm understanding why. Unless a person really reads the OT and studies it to some degree, it really is difficult to grasp. So easy to misunderstand....
Thanks for the reply.

I go with John 1:18.
The only time man has seen God was when Jesus was incarnated.

Or was it an angel.
We also wrestle with God on occasion.
It's a figure of speech.
The OT should not really be taken literally.
At least, some parts of it.

God is spirit.
Spirit is not visible to us.
But Moses saw God's backside, did he not? How could he if God is an invisible spirit?

Is the Bible lying that no one has seen God at anytime?

No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him. John 1:18

Contextually we see that God here refers to God the Father.

In the Old Testament God, (The Son) appeared to several people such as Abraham, Moses and others.

Example:

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.”
So when the LORD saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!”
And he said, “Here I am.”
Then He said, “Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.” Moreover He said, “I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:1-6

Key Verses:

• And the Angel of the LORD appeared to him
  • And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God.

JLB

But Moses saw God's backside, did he not? How could he if God is an invisible spirit?
You didn't give a verse but I think you're speaking of the v erse that states that God allowed Moses to see his back but not His face because Moses would have died.
So great is the glory of God.

When God is seen in the OT it's really Jesus that is being manifested as the 2nd Person of the Trinity.
God is spirit and cannot be seen.

I THINK that in the verse you're referring to it's God's glory that is being manifested, not actually God.

I think we need to remember that the OT was written about 4,000 years ago. We lose sight of this at times.
People h ad a different way of understanding God, of writing about Him, and even of understanding Him.

God has seen and understood that we needed a clear understanding of Himself....
thus we get to Jesus.

I would suggest that the OT is not to be taken as literally as some fundamentalists do. I think they fear that if just one sentence of the bible is not literal, then the entire revelation of God falls apart.

This is not true and cannot be true because the universe is still here, and there's no other explanation for it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back