Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Mystery of godly repentance

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

RBDERRICK

Supporter
The commandment of God's repentance is no mystery:

Ezek
{18:30} Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn [yourselves] from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.
{18:31} Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? {18:32} For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn [yourselves,] and live ye.

Godly repentance is wholehearted from all our sins and trespasses, not just the ones we choose, while keeping hold on the others.

{3:9} And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks. {3:10} And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.

Godly repentance is, of course, of our ways and not just our thoughts:
Job
{21:27} Behold, I know your thoughts, and the devices [which] ye wrongfully imagine against me.

Isaiah
{55:7} Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

God's commanded repentance is no mystery to believers in His own words. The mystery, like faith and works, is when God grants repentance unto His faith and salvation.

Matthew
{14:36} And besought him that they might only touch the hem of his garment: and as many as touched were made perfectly whole.

James
{2:20} But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? {2:21} Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? {2:22} Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

When we believe God's word and promise, then it is counted to us for His righteousness. In like manner, when we repent in thoughts against disobeying Him, it is counted as repentance unto salvation.

However, like touching the hem of His garment, our faith and repentance is not made perfectly whole, without doing the good work of God, and changing the ways against God.

With God's mercy, we are counted with faith and repentance immdiately with a new heart and life by the Spirit; however, without doing the work and changing the way, then our faith is become dead, and our repentance become unrepentance.

2 Corinthians
{7:10} For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

No person is counted as repenting for Jesus' sake, nor having faith toward God, when still doing the same old sin and way of trespass.

Hebrews {5:13} For every one that useth milk [is] unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. {5:14} But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

{6:1} Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Yes, by the Spirit we are newborn babes in Christ Jesus through repenting and believing Him; however, if the babe does not grow to eschew evil and do the good, then we bastardize our own repentance and faith, and become stillborn once again with wrath of the children of disobedience.

Hebrews
{6:7} For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: {6:8} But that which beareth thorns and briers [is] rejected, and [is] nigh unto cursing; whose end [is] to be burned.

God's repentance is of all our sins and trespasses, and from our thoughts and ways against Him.

Isaiah
{55:8} For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

The Lord's thoughts and ways are higher than double hearted people, because His thoughts and ways are always the same together. Just is His faith and works are never separated from one another, and especially not contrary to one another.

So long as our ways are not God's ways, then our thoughts are not His thoughts, but only vain imagination.

No man is saved by his own faith alone, and no man repents by his own thoughts alone. Mind repentance alone, is only a mind game played with ourselves and God, which God knows is foolishness that ends in the grave.

In the end, we will all be judged by our works, not by our thoughts and intents that don't do the will of God.

When we believe God's word and promise, then it is counted to us for His righteousness.
Clarify/ Qualify Please.
Even the demons believe, but it is not ever counted to them as righteousness nor for forgiveness nor for eternal life - they shudder in terror since they know their judgment is certain.

Clarify/ Qualify Please.
Even the demons believe, but it is not ever counted to them as righteousness nor for forgiveness nor for eternal life - they shudder in terror since they know their judgment is certain.
Forgive me. I did not understand your request to qualify my teaching in light of your good objection.

I can only say it's rare that people actually take time to understand an opposing teaching, so as to make a good challenge to it.

Most people gloss over anything they don't agree with, and just over-write it with their own rehearsed teaching.

Thank you for the challenge.
Even the demons believe,
but it is not ever counted to them as righteousness nor for forgiveness nor for eternal life -
That's because James is not preaching the gospel of repentance to devils, but only how faith without works applies to angels that sin and sinful hearers alike.

The faith of rebellious angels can never be counted to them for righteousness, because they cannot repent unto salvation.

The faith of men and women by hearing the word of truth, can be counted as righteousness with God.

James
{1:22} But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. {1:23} For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: {1:24} For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. {1:25} But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein,] he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

But without repentance and works of faith, their faith is judged the same as devils who cannot repent and have no hope of being blessed with justification with God by works.

The dead and unsaving faith of unrepented devils and hearers alike, is what is being compared, not how the gospel of repentance and faith applies to devils as well as men.

And some hearers that repent not, nor fear the judgment of the Lord, are worse than devils who know their judgment is coming unto destruction.

Last edited:
Another mystery of repentance unto salvation, is that any man has power of will to repent of anything in life, but only repentance for Jesus' sake is unto the saving of the soul by God.

1 Cor
{9:24} Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. {9:25} And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

Only repentance for Jesus' sake is repentance granted by God unto His salvation.

Acts
{11:17} Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as [he did] unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God? {11:18} When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts
{11:17} Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as [he did] unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God? {11:18} When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

What was the gift given to the Gentiles that repent for Jesus' sake? The faith and Spirit of Christ that saves the soul.

And so, the mystery of godly repentance is the same as that of God's faith: man's own repentance and faith is not the repentance and faith of Jesus, that is only granted by God unto salvation of the soul.

Man's own faith alone without repentance of all sins and trespasses for Jesus' sake, is not the saving faith of God granted only to them that do wholly repent God's way.

James
{1:21} Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

We see how the word of faith is only recieved by them that obey the gospel to repent. And the engrafted word by is only able to save them that repent.

Mark
{1:14} Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, {1:15} And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

The gospel of faith in Jesus Christ, is the gospel of repentance to receive His saving faith. Man's own faith without repentance, is not the saving faith of Jesus only given by repentance for His sake.

Faith without repentance is as faith without works. It's the dead faith of sinful man that repents not.

The faith of Jesus that saves and justifies a man, is never given without godly repentance, and is never without doing the blessed works pleasing to God.

James
{1:22} But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. {1:25} But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein,] he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

John {8:28} Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am [he,] and [that] I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. {8:29} And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

And so are all His brethren sons of God, that repent for His sake, and by His own faith keep His commandments blameless as He.

1 Thess
{5:22} Abstain from all appearance of evil. {5:23} And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. {5:24} Faithful [is] he that calleth you, who also will do [it.

Back