Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Apostolic Teachings....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
G

For the readers of this Forum, there has been heated debates lately about some Roman Catholic teachings. While I am sure, they have felt on the hot-seat in defense of their beliefs, I believe it is important to continually discuss and at times debate Scripture - so to make sure that the saints are not following false teachings - so as to not be led astray.

Much has been said on both sides of the issue of Sola Scriptura, the "sinlessness" of Mary and her perpetual virginity - to name a few of the recent debates/discussions.

While I have provided my explaination of 2 Thes 2:!5 - I have one question for our Roman Catholic friends. Since you believe in the 'sinlessness' of Mary and her perpetual viriginity - beliefs that have been confessed to as not finding support in the Bible - but rather in Apostolic teaching:

Exactly which Apostle found in the Bible taught those two beliefs?

As 2 Thess 2:15 teachings, we are to hold fast to the teachings of the Apsotles - both oral and written - therefore, to make sure that the teachings of the Roman Catholic teachings are "apostolic" - which Apostles taught them?

Alone
These thoughts were mine exactly and considered an OP similar to this, but then decided not to, but I can see the Lord Jesus Christ had other ideas....I look forward to contributing in this thread...

aLoneVoice said:
For the readers of this Forum, there has been heated debates lately about some Roman Catholic teachings. While I am sure, they have felt on the hot-seat in defense of their beliefs, I believe it is important to continually discuss and at times debate Scripture - so to make sure that the saints are not following false teachings - so as to not be led astray.

Much has been said on both sides of the issue of Sola Scriptura, the "sinlessness" of Mary and her perpetual virginity - to name a few of the recent debates/discussions.

While I have provided my explaination of 2 Thes 2:!5 - I have one question for our Roman Catholic friends. Since you believe in the 'sinlessness' of Mary and her perpetual viriginity - beliefs that have been confessed to as not finding support in the Bible - but rather in Apostolic teaching:

Exactly which Apostle found in the Bible taught those two beliefs?

As 2 Thess 2:15 teachings, we are to hold fast to the teachings of the Apsotles - both oral and written - therefore, to make sure that the teachings of the Roman Catholic teachings are "apostolic" - which Apostles taught them?

A fair question. I will attempt to address it.

We believe that Christ gave His community of believers a body of men with authority to bind and loosen. No one dared to join this body of men unless they were specially called by God. From the very beginning, the Church has had a heirarchy of men who were in charge. These men KNEW they were given a charge by whom THEY believed was God Himself - to go out and teach and preach EVERYTHING taught by Jesus Christ to the entire world. Baptize them. Heal them. Bring along their conversion. And finally, ensure that the doctrine given remained uncorrupted.

It cannot be denied. Christ did NOT leave writings. He did not EVER teach that individuals were meant to pick up Scriptures (presumably OT Scriptures) and read them outside of the understanding of the community. Even in Jesus' time, the Pharisees were to be OBEYED (Mt 23:3). This did not change with the New Covenant. Throughout, we see exhortations to obey those whom God has put above us. Whether secular leaders, or the leaders of the Church.

Now. We have established that Christ left a duly-apppointed body of men to watch over the community. To act as shepherds. To feed the sheep. Christ's sheep. And He promised that He would send His Spirit to guide these men. Thus, the Church is the pillar and foundation of the truth - not the Bible. It is THESE MEN whom God is guiding. He even guided them to WRITE letters to other communities - and these communities were able to identify that THOSE writings were inspired by God. Why? Because the people KNEW what they had been taught. ORALLY. From the beginning, Christianity grew as a result of oral teachings.

Now. You want me to tell you which specific apostle taught the "virginity of Mary". That question is not answerable because THAT apostle didn't tell anyone he was the first to relate that teaching. What we DO know is that ALL teachings, both oral and written, were taught to the first Christians. Part of that teaching was that God had given particular men the charism of interpreting and meditating on the meaning of the doctrines given by Christ.

When we consider the role Christ gave to His leaders within the Church and the power to bind and loosen, when we consider the writings that followed the very first generation of Christians, we come to the conclusion that we have some Church teachings as a mustard seed. Thus, some teachings would not become fully developed until later musing upon the Tradition (oral and written) would unlock them.

Thus, Justin the Martyr and Ireneaus and Tertullian were writing that Mary was the New Eve, just as Jesus was the New Adam. These men of the Church had been given the Tradition, the teachings of the Apostles and further analyzed them. What did God reveal to us through these teachings? Anyone who has studied the Sacred Writ will agree with me that we are always unlocking new things about God's written Word. Is it amazing to understand that the second generation would explore and find the kernel of a particular concept within the Apostolic Tradition?

So in closing, what we do is look at what the first Christians believed and did. What did they teach? We presume that God was guiding them to correctly interpret and pass down what THEY had been given. From this body of teachings passed down, they were able to define particular questions that eventually came up...

What WAS the relationship between God and Jesus Christ? This is not clear from Scriptures without any interpretation. Who is the Holy Spirit - if this IS a person? Again, when we take the entire Body of teachings given, the "doctrine" to be preserved, we understand that Christ INTENDED that man continue to discover and learn about Himself. Does anyone think that Paul completely and fully taught the entire doctrine of the Trinity as expounded by Chalcedon some 400 years later? NO! Paul taught a body of teachings. The following leaders of the Church, tasked with continuing to bind and loosen, with feeding the sheep, continued to explore what Paul and others taught, fleshing out what exactly that kernel meant. Thus, the men of Chalcedon, guided by the Spirit, was able to define more precisely what the relationship that Jesus had with His Father.

The same is true of many other teachings that the Church presents to us. They call them Apostolic when they originate from that kernel, that deposit of faith first given to the Apostles. Is it in continuity with the very beginning of our faith? Is it something that the earliest Church appeared to have believed in, even if not completely understanding its full theological implications? If so, then we consider it an Apostolic teaching. Thus, we call the Trinity an Apostolic teaching because the kernel of that doctrine emitted from the oral and written Word given by those apostles. The Scriptures, read through a particular understanding, gave way to properly defining more precisely what we believed all along. Thus, we can say that the Church "always" believed in the Trinity, without fully knowing the theological implications of that belief. Thus, the people could answer "Yes, that is what I believe", not "OK, let's believe that now."

The Church defines for us what we already believe. As such, the Church has stated that it has believed that Mary was sinless when it looks at the Sacred Scriptures in its own particular way, guided by the Spirit and taught by the Apostles.

Regards

Forgive me, perhaps it is late - perhaps I am tired from having to work today - while I appreciated that answer - you really did not answer my question.

If the teachings about Mary are Apostolic - then one of the original Apostles would have taught it, correct?

Such doctrinal issues of Salvation through the Blood of Christ, the Trinity, the redemptive work of Christ on the Cross - all those can be traced to the teachings of the Apostles in their written letters - which are contained in the God-Inspiried, Holy Spirit guided Holy Bible.

Perhaps I should ask the question this way: How do you know the teachings are right or correct? You have admitted there is no biblical basis for the teachings - so what is the benchmark? What is the standard to know if they are true or not?

aLoneVoice said:
Such doctrinal issues of Salvation through the Blood of Christ, the Trinity, the redemptive work of Christ on the Cross - all those can be traced to the teachings of the Apostles in their written letters - which are contained in the God-Inspiried, Holy Spirit guided Holy Bible.

Perhaps I should ask the question this way: How do you know the teachings are right or correct? You have admitted there is no biblical basis for the teachings - so what is the benchmark? What is the standard to know if they are true or not?

I have explained this on several occasions already. We trust the leaders of the Church because we believe that God will continue to protect it when it defines doctrine for the sake of the community, expressing what we already believe in more precise terms.

If we don't believe that God continues to protect them, expecting them to feed His sheep and so forth, then God's "promises" in the Gospel have been found wanting - and then, who could believe in the Resurrection?

If it was not for the witness of the Catholic Church, I would not believe in the Gospel - St. Augustine.

He realized that the Church's leaders and the Scriptures are supportive of each other. You cannot remove one without losing the other's meaning. Remove God's guided leaders (who have been given the power to bind and loosen), we lose sight of what the Apostles MEANT by ambiguous teachings. Remove the Scriptures and you have potential despots in charge of the Church.

Thus, we have TWO sources of teachings - the Scriptures and the Apostolic Tradition. The later interpret the former and both have their source in God. We believe in their interpretations because we believe that Christ left an authoritative body that He would guide. Thus, we have the faith of a child, we are sheep who follow their guides. We place our trust that God will continue to guide the visible shepherds to all truth. We see the truth of this in the wonderful continuity of the beliefs of the first Christians and the teachings of the Catholic Church of today. Looking back, it LOOKS like a mustard tree from the seed all the way to the nearly full grown tree.

Regards

So - you are assuming that the leaders in the Roman Catholic church are teaching sound doctine?

Do you ever question it? What if they are wrong?

Oh yes, people question teachings all the time. I have too, however it is not in an accusatory way, at least for me. I question to find out the reason why the Church teaches thus and such and so far She has not let me down.
Others accuse while questoning. People have both come to and left Mother Church, but without getting into the reasons I would like to say:

Through all the Questioning of the ages the Catholic Church is the only church to trace Her history back over 2000 years!

She must be doing something right.

aLoneVoice said:
So - you are assuming that the leaders in the Roman Catholic church are teaching sound doctine?

Do you ever question it? What if they are wrong?

And if Christ be not raised, your faith [is] vain; Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. 1 Cor 15:14-19

Either we believe in the witness of the Gospel, the Resurrection, or we are most miserable of men. Either we believe in their testimony or we don't. And since their testimony INCLUDES but is NOT LIMITED to the Bible, we believe that their witness continues through His Body, the Church - the pillar and foundation of the truth.

Either we believe that Christ established a Church to continue His work, or our faith is in vain.

Are there times I question teachings? Sure. But that doesn't make them any less true. Truth is not subject to my acceptance. It is I who must conform to this "pillar and foundation of truth", not the other way around. Truth is not a democracy.

If they are wrong on the teachings of Christ, the entire New Testament is a lie.

Regards

Ok Fran,

Now, WHEN did the Catholic Church START teaching that Mary was sinless and the 'perpetual virgin'?

MEC

Francis said:
We trust the leaders of the Church because we believe that God will continue to protect it when it defines doctrine for the sake of the community, expressing what we already believe in more precise terms.

While I personally like the idea of God preserving his word over time it simply is not a given, because as you can see even for the Bible some of the texts were corrupted over time and that is why there are so many different Bible versions (though luckily through careful study and fair scholarship such majority texts like the Nestle-Aland & UBS were made). KJV-onlyists promote the "God preserving his word infallibly" arguement to support KJV-dedication-only, saying (in yet another extra(un)biblical idea that God caused the KJV translators to interpret & translate the Greek & Hebrew perfectly into english as led by the Holy Spirit himself.

P.S. Francis, have you read my post in that other thread to you yet? The name of it escapes me at the moment but I posted a fairly long response to you and I find it pertinant to this current discussion as well.

God Bless,

~Josh

Imagican said:
Ok Fran,

Now, WHEN did the Catholic Church START teaching that Mary was sinless and the 'perpetual virgin'?

MEC

It is implicitly taught in the Bible, as noted by men of the second century, when the Bible compares Mary to the purified Church. An example of that is in Rev 12.

Regards

cybershark5886 said:
While I personally like the idea of God preserving his word over time it simply is not a given, because as you can see even for the Bible some of the texts were corrupted over time and that is why there are so many different Bible versions (though luckily through careful study and fair scholarship such majority texts like the Nestle-Aland & UBS were made). KJV-onlyists promote the "God preserving his word infallibly" arguement to support KJV-dedication-only, saying (in yet another extra(un)biblical idea that God caused the KJV translators to interpret & translate the Greek & Hebrew perfectly into english as led by the Holy Spirit himself.

Josh,

Yes, and that is why I believe it is important that we recognize that God guides His Church by the Power of the Holy Spirit through His chosen clay vessels, those whom He gave power to bind and loosen. Regarding the various Bible translations, I think we must keep in mind that many Bibles are interpretations of translations. Thus, many bibles do not accurately give the Word of God, but an opinion on what the Word of God intended to say.

As to the other post of yours, I am not sure which one you refer to. I am practically alone here defending the Catholic faith, so I am doing the best I can to answer all people who have legitimate (and sometimes not legitimate) questions on the reason for our hope. Perhaps you can point me to it if I haven't answered it yet,

Regards

francisdesales said:
As to the other post of yours, I am not sure which one you refer to. I am practically alone here defending the Catholic faith, so I am doing the best I can to answer all people who have legitimate (and sometimes not legitimate) questions on the reason for our hope. Perhaps you can point me to it if I haven't answered it yet,

I found the link to it here in the Apocrypha and Scripture thread (that's a direct link to my post). We were having a very enjoyable and sincere discussion in there and I would love to continue it. And I think you'll find my proposal a little relieving on the frustration of all this "hubub" that's been going around.

God Bless,

~Josh

See, now THAT'S why I asked. You stated that this was being taught in ABOUT the 'second century' AFTER Christ's death. And I have NOT found biblical evidence that Mary was a 'perpetual virgin'. Quite the contrary. The Bible states that Joseph NEVER slept with Mary until AFTER the birth of Christ. A PURE indication that he DID; AFTER. And we KNOW that the Christ is the ONLY human that has lived a 'sinless life'.

So, by your own admission, the CC may or may NOT have been given this 'revelation' concerning Mary by the apostles themselves. For by the second century AD, ALL the apostles were DEAD.

I know, I know, you STILL BELIEVE that there are apostles today. I don't and have NO Biblical reference that they have existed since the apostolic era. There was NO NEED for apostles AFTER the TRUE Church had been established. And this would have been accomplished by the FIRST century AD.

And this leads to the problem with Catholic understanding that THEY are the FIRST established 'church'. Perhaps they WERE the first INSTITUTIONALIZED church. But this by NO MEANS offers ANY evidence that they were the TRUE CHURCH.

Beliefs that they 'created' such as what we discuss right now indicate that they were 'anything BUT' the ONE TRUE CHURCH. For there is NO NEED to create that which has NOT been established BY GOD through His Son FOR the ONE TRUE CHURCH.

And the ONLY reason that I can comprehend that one would create this 'Mary, the perpetual virgin' or 'sinless Mary' or 'Mary; Queen of Heaven' would BE so that they could TEACH their congregation to worship a FALSE GODESS. And, as history teaches, there have been pagan religions since the dawn of civilization, (or even before), that worshiped Female figures due to fertillity issues.

It appears that this veneration of Mary MUST stem from pagan roots and therefore of NO earthly value to those that ARE members of the ONE TRUE CHURCH.

And ANOTHER example of the CC simply inplanting Christ INTO their previous pagan traditions and beliefs. UNABLE to 'let go' of their philosophical and tradtional beliefs and simply START OVER with Christ; they simply inserted Christ INTO their previous pagan religions and then FORCED the acceptance of such by pain or death to those that were unwilling to accept them.

MEC

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back