Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Science __ ] Astronomy Question

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
Since astronomy is a part of science I figured that this question qualified here. Anyway, atheists believe that the world along with the whole entire universe was created with the big bang, Christians believe that it was created by God. Me personally, as I have stated before, I believe that both are compatible with each other and that God caused the big bang. Anyway, back to my question. I just love to look at the stars. I like to think of them as God's night lights lighting up the sky. But what is their real purpose other than the sun that brings light and life to the earth. What exactly is the moon anyway and does it have any real purpose besides letting us know when it's nighttime and daytime? I think I remember learning in school that it helps with the gravitational pull or something,.. but if I'm really being honest here not only do I not remember half the things I learned in school but I didn't feel back then that I needed to pay attention and remember it because I didn't feel like it was important. And what about the other planets? And do other galaxies exist as well? Like I said in a previous post I believe that is very possible that God could have created life elsewhere besides just on earth so that would be very interesting to find that there were. Whether there was life there or not actually.

Stars are basically large nuclear furnaces of energy and because of their immense power, other elements are "created" (not the best word since it's more about complex chemistry and fisson of currently existing elements). So stars basic make the stuff the universe uses to build stuff like planets and everything on them. The celestial bodies (moons, stars, planets, wt) all have gravitational pulls that work off and on each other and that is what basic balances out everything. That is my basic understanding, I'm more a biology dude than any thing else. :tongue

Stars are basically large nuclear furnaces of energy and because of their immense power, other elements are "created" (not the best word since it's more about complex chemistry and fisson of currently existing elements). So stars basic make the stuff the universe uses to build stuff like planets and everything on them. The celestial bodies (moons, stars, planets, wt) all have gravitational pulls that work off and on each other and that is what basic balances out everything. That is my basic understanding, I'm more a biology dude than any thing else.

I like what you said at the end but are you saying that the stars created the planets because I am a believer so that doesn't quite make sense to me.

The elements that make up the planets were generated in the stars based on current understanding of the universe. Like I said it's not my field so I'm not too kien on specifics.
If it's not in your beliefs, that's ok. It's not really important to salvation and all that.

The elements that make up the planets were generated in the stars based on current understanding of the universe. Like I said it's not my field so I'm not too kien on specifics.
If it's not in your beliefs, that's ok. It's not really important to salvation and all that.

True :)

atheists believe that the world along with the whole entire universe was created with the big bang, Christians believe that it was created by God.
It is not "atheists" who believe in the "big bang", it is astrophysicists and astronomers and theoretical physicists and similar scientists. Believing in the "big bang" as the currently best SCIENTIFIC explanation does not make one an atheist. (I emphasized "scientific" to say that the "big bang" is not a theological idea. Scientists don't investigate God simply because God cannot be observed or measured or analyzed in a laboratory.That doesn't mean that they don't believe in God. It only means that "science" is useless in trying to understand God.)
Believing Jews, Muslims, and Christians believe that the universe was created by God. That is a religious belief, not a scientific belief.
I believe that both are compatible with each other and that God caused the big bang.
That would be a Christian opinion about a scientific theory.
It is a reasonable one.
I just love to look at the stars. I like to think of them as God's night lights lighting up the sky. But what is their real purpose other than the sun that brings light and life to the earth. What exactly is the moon anyway and does it have any real purpose besides letting us know when it's nighttime and daytime?
Maybe we don't need to know. Maybe they're just there to remind us that we are very, very, very, small but the one who created them all loves us very much.
f I'm really being honest here not only do I not remember half the things I learned in school
AH! Then you are recovering. That's good!
And do other galaxies exist as well?
Yes. There are billions and billions of them.
There are about 10,000 in this snapshot taken by the Hubble telescope.
o-HUBBLE-UV-900.jpg

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back