Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Birth of Jesus

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hello, I'm new here as of 12.27.23
My question or thoughts are directed at the timing of Marys impregnation. Why did God choose to have Jesus concieved before Mary and Joseph were married? I'm wondering if there are more implications beyond the obvious, getting to Mary before Joseph?

My question or thoughts are directed at the timing of Marys impregnation. Why did God choose to have Jesus concieved before Mary and Joseph were married? I'm wondering if there are more implications beyond the obvious, getting to Mary before Joseph?
Hey All,
Welcome to the forums Raspberry Steel.
I would think most people would assume Mary was impregnated by Joseph. They would not have been the first couple that could not "wait." Matthew tells us why in Matthew 1:22-23.

If you have any insight into other reasons, ask your question in the Question and Answer forum.
Start a discussion. Anyway, nice to meet you, Jump in and have some fun.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hi Raspberry Steel and welcome to CF :wave2

Simple answer is that prophecy given was that Jesus would be born of a virgin as His birth had to be pure and also from the lineage of David.

Matthew 1:22 was prophecy fulfilled that was prophesied in Isaiah 7:14. It would be better to discuss this in the Q&A forum as this forum is for welcoming new members.

Hello Raspberry Steel.
God chose Mary and Joself tio watch over His Son because of their sincere faith in Him, by their character.

We can be sure our Heavenly Father could find no two people who planned to marry more humble because of their faith in Him than those two.

Only one needed to be of Davids lineage, but one of Josephs' ancestors along with any of his offspring was forbidden by God from ever ruling Israel.

So short answer...Their hearts were blameless before God. As humble as they were, I don't think they had a clue that Jesus would ever be hanged on a Roman cross.

Marys' heart had to be torn out when our Lord told John to take care of her.

Luke 1:26-38 Gabriel announces to Mary that of Christ's birth through her as she found favor in God. This all came about before her and Joseph were married so Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus.

Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Notice in this verse that only Mary is mentioned as normally people would say the son of Joseph and Mary. Jesus had four half brothers, James, Joses, Juda and Simon and some sisters, but it's not known how many sisters he had or what their names were. The reason they were all half brothers an sisters is because Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus.

Mary's descent comes through David's son Nathan, Luke 3:31. To fulfill God's promise to establish David's throne forever, God honored Nathan by making him the ancestor of the promised King (Messiah) who would sit on David's throne throughout eternity, Luke 1:31-33. Mary having no brothers to inherit the throne the inheritance would come to her first son being Jesus.

This is why God found favor only in Mary as still being a virgin before she married. Joseph descent from David was broken in being heir to the throne of David as one of his ancestors named Jeconiah (Coniah) was so evil God cursed him and his descendants from ever sitting on the throne of David, Matthew 1:11, 12; Jeremiah 22:24-30; 1 Chronicles 3:17. This doesn't mean that Joseph was evil, but means none of his children could ever sit on the throne of David.

Back