Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Brain vs Mind ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
1eff571c31fd93cf1b9be2999d8bd2b7.jpg

How does the material brain communicate with the immaterial mind and vice versa ? - twinc
How do you know the mind is "immaterial". I suspect that you are implicitly accepting the "dualist" position - that the human's physical body is indwelt by a non-physical mind. This could be the case, but it need not be the case.

How do you know the mind is "immaterial". I suspect that you are implicitly accepting the "dualist" position - that the human's physical body is indwelt by a non-physical mind. This could be the case, but it need not be the case.

good honest simple try and answer - if it is not the case, so what might the simple correct case just be and is - twinc

good luck with trying to understand the soul. im neither a gnostic in views but take a biblical/jewish view of that the flesh with the immaterial part of the person is fully the soul. the flesh is the clothing by which the nephesh Chaya. the yechida and ruach,nephshima all are able to perceive the material world. the flesh is the clothing for the soul as the rabbis say.

I watched a Through the Wormhole episode where it was said that, while doctors have a decent idea on how the brain works, synapses firing and all that, that they can not yet account for where consciousness arises from. It eludes them. I don't know, but suspect that it may be of the spirit somehow, but directed and functions through the brain. If that makes sense.

I watched a Through the Wormhole episode where it was said that, while doctors have a decent idea on how the brain works, synapses firing and all that, that they can not yet account for where consciousness arises from. It eludes them. I don't know, but suspect that it may be of the spirit somehow, but directed and functions through the brain. If that makes sense.

somehow no doubt but how - only fools it seems have claimed to know for thus far the best brains stand dumbfounded and bewildered - twinc

somehow no doubt but how - only fools it seems have claimed to know for thus far the best brains stand dumbfounded and bewildered - twinc

That sounds pretty accurate there brother. I think there must be a clue for us in that...before the fall, men did not use their brain, right? We were operating as spiritual beings. So if spiritual beings can think and make decisions and so forth, and the obviously can...then how do they think, or perhaps more accurately is, from where do they think? I can't help but think that there is our clue to this. So it's in the spirit somewhere, I don't think it would be entirely out of line to say that they think from the heart.

Of course that is my own speculation. What do you think? Do you think that's plausible?

That sounds pretty accurate there brother. I think there must be a clue for us in that...before the fall, men did not use their brain, right? We were operating as spiritual beings. So if spiritual beings can think and make decisions and so forth, and the obviously can...then how do they think, or perhaps more accurately is, from where do they think? I can't help but think that there is our clue to this. So it's in the spirit somewhere, I don't think it would be entirely out of line to say that they think from the heart.

Of course that is my own speculation. What do you think? Do you think that's plausible?

you are o so close to the answer - which you will certainly accept as irrefutable - twinc

If they discover where it arises from, will you still use this argument? Arguments from gaps in knowledge likely lead to shrinking faith and a shrinking God.

Your consciousness obviously is greatly affected by the physical brain. Take for instance if you were to get in an accident and receive severe head trauma, this could do a few things, 1. Kill you of course, 2. Cause you to go into a Coma/total loss of Consciousness for a prolonged period, 3. Intermittent Seizures, 4. Nerve Damage, i.e. loss of vision, 5. Cognitive problems, such as memory or learning impairment, 6. Communication problems, such as difficulty writing or speaking. 7. Emotional problems, such as depression, etc.

Basically, your physical brain being severely damaged in certain areas can lead to an altered state of consciousness. Sentience is also an attribute of other animals, who are also able to perceive and feel things, but just not as vividly as humans do. This is likely due to our far more developed frontal lobe.

Neuroscience is a very new science, and there is so much about consciousness that we don't understand, but all the early indications seem to be that it arises from the physical brain, not some metaphysical ghost like being that interfaces with a physical shell.

you are o so close to the answer - which you will certainly accept as irrefutable - twinc

Oh, that's not true at all. I don't think I know it all and I'm very teachable. I just don't change my mind real fast is all. It takes a bit of time to research, pray, and assimilate new knowledge into ones being. Many people do not understand the value of "sleep on it". Something very curious happens when we sleep. There's information, and knowledge. Reading a book provides you with information. You input the information, sleep on it, your brain and perhaps your spirit process it, and then it assimilates into knowledge.

I believe that's why scripture talks about teaching us at night while we sleep. Also why meditating and pondering things is important. I do my structured bible reading in the morning, ponder it through the day and sleep on it that night. i think it kinda works like food does. The food we eat today is where our energy for tomorrow comes from. I'm running on yesterdays food today.

You say that, I am o so close to the answer, like you know something. What is it? :)

so lets try the irrefutable according to your very own responses - we so far know where the brain resides and that doctors and others have seen it and verified it reality and location - now let us try and verify the location of mind for nobody seems to know where mind begins or ends and is it not foolish to affirm that when one nods their head they nod their mind contained within the bony rind of the skull - more later - twinc

just simply answer the simple question simply - twinc

It's not a simple question, nor is the answer simple. If you want to understand at all, you'll have to put in a little work. There's no royal road to consciousness, either.

so lets try the irrefutable according to your very own responses - we so far know where the brain resides and that doctors and others have seen it and verified it reality and location - now let us try and verify the location of mind for nobody seems to know where mind begins or ends and is it not foolish to affirm that when one nods their head they nod their mind contained within the bony rind of the skull - more later - twinc

Uh, ok. The brain is inside the skull, that's a fact and irrefutable. The location of mind and/or consciousness is what is not known. By the doctors & scientists, or by me. I speculate that it is in the spirit, but I don't know that for a fact. So, I'm kinda at a loss to realize the question you have or point you're making...

It's not a simple question, nor is the answer simple. If you want to understand at all, you'll have to put in a little work. There's no royal road to consciousness, either.

actually it is but not for those already complicated and confused, especially yesterday's children - twinc

actually it is but not for those already complicated and confused, especially yesterday's children - twinc

That's the genius of the Lord right there. He makes it simple so that a child can get it, but complicated for those with eyes but will not see. We may not get all of the answers spelled out in black and white, but enough to lead us down the path. We don't need all of the answers anyway, some things we take on faith and will find out soon enough.

We don't need to be able to understand the Lord to be able to have faith in Him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back