Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can Roman Catholics Know For Sure That They Are Heaven Bound

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

Solo

Hoping But Not Knowing
by James G. McCarthy

While filming Catholicism: Crisis of Faith, a documentary examining the teachings of Roman Catholicism, we set up our camera outside Saint Patrick's Cathedral in New York City. There we interviewed Catholics leaving Mass. We asked them how they hoped to get to heaven and whether they thought that they were going to make it.

• "I sure hope so," Jack, a Catholic from North Dakota answered. Catherine, Jack's wife, agreed, "I hope so too. But there will be someone else judging that."

"Everybody hopes," a woman from France told us. "Every Catholic hopes." "You don't know what is going to happen when you get there," Norman, a resident of New York City, explained. "You might find a surprise waiting for you."

Joe from Baltimore was also visiting the cathedral that day. When we asked him if he expected to go to heaven, he answered, "I hope to. Yes, I expect to. And I hope to. My wife is I hope up there. She died about two years ago."

When we asked Joe if he knew he was going to heaven, he made an important distinction. "No," he answered. "I don't know. But I hope to. I don't think you know what is going on in the future."

Unlike every other religion I am aware of, true Christianity teaches that sinners can be accepted by before God through the righteous work of another (Romans 3:21-26; 2 Corinthians 5:21). It tells of a Savior who bore our burden for us (Mark 10:45; 1 Peter 2:24). The gospel of Jesus Christ is that eternal life is a free gift from God, available to anyone who repents and trusts Jesus to save him (John 3:16; Ephesians 2:8-9).

True Christianity also teaches that those who accept God's offer of salvation can know that they are going to heaven (1 John 5:13). Because their acceptance before God is in Christ, not themselves, they can have the assurance that their place in heaven is secure. Jesus, the good shepherd who laid down his life for his sheep, promises to keep them: "I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out f My hand" (John 10:28). God the Father is also active in the safekeeping of Christ's sheep. Jesus said, "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand" (John 10:29). The Holy Spirit also participates in guaranteeing the future of the redeemed. At the moment of salvation the Spirit comes to dwell in each believer "as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory" (Ephesians 1:14).

The person who is wholly trusting Jesus for salvation knows he will go to heaven. Believing Christ's work on the cross to be perfect and sufficient, he ceases trying to achieve his own salvation through good works. He rests in Christ (Hebrews 4:10).

Rash presumption is what the Rome calls this, and right it would be if salvation were dependent, even in part, upon our own righteous deeds. But believing the promises of God is not presumption, but faith. Jesus solemnly promised,

<Jesus says> "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."John 5:24

Solo on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:03 pm
<Jesus says> "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."John 5:24

What does his word say? If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive. If we walk in the light as he is in the light, the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin. If we forgive others, God will forgive us. If we suffer with him, we shall also reign with him. If we keep his commandments, we know him and have assurance that we know him. These are ‘if’ statements. These promises are conditional.

The blood was not. He freely gave his blood and you are not paying for your sins by obedience, since obedience is not going to ‘right’ your wrongs. Only the blood (or your own eternal death) can permanently remove the offence of your sins. Praise God he has provided this perfect sacrifice. This is the good news!

Why do people on here seem to resent it? Sometimes I feel like I’m telling children there is no Santa Claus. I feel more like the bearer of the ‘bad news’ instead of the ‘good news.’ Why is that?

Well, think of the starving orphans in Uganda or some other poor country. If a rich philanthropist offered to give each of them two cups of uncooked rice every day for the rest of their lives, just for showing up at his door, they would rejoice and celebrate the good news. No more certain starvation! As long as could trust this man to keep his word, they would rejoice in this good news.

Now imagine that this same offer is made to American school children. Everyday for the rest of their lives they will be given just two cups of uncooked rice as their food for the day. Will they rejoice? Hardly. They will bemoan their fate as if you had just pronounced a death sentence.

We’ve been spoiled by the empty promises of the wicked one.

Colossians 2:4-8

4And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.
5For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ.
6As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk you in him:
7Rooted and built up in him, and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Administrator's note: we ask that no other topics discussing RCC beliefs be started. The topic will be subject to locking or deletion and you will be pointed to one of the predefined topics, providing your subject matter matches one of the established topics... Thanks

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back