Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Science __ ] Check This Out!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There's a similar "Mystery Spot" near the Bay Area as well (Santa Cruz). Same basic illusions.

Cool! My brother figured everything out in this video except for the swinging pendulum. I forgot a lot of the explanation, but I think that it has something to do with the foundation being slanted. :chin

Last edited:
Yep, it's mostly optical illusions due to the slanted backround objects. The pendulum is just the same thing. It only seems heavier in one direction because you're pushing it higher up without realizing you are.

Yep, it's mostly optical illusions due to the slanted backround objects. The pendulum is just the same thing. It only seems heavier in one direction because you're pushing it higher up without realizing you are.

That's right, I edited my post because I forgot it was a pendulum. So you're saying that although it appears like you're pushing it backwards, in reality you're actually pushing it forwards right? And wait a minute, if the objects in the background are slanted, then why does the inside of the cabin appear that way? :confused

No, you are genuinely pushing it backwards, just not as far as you think you are. Notice that on the backwards push, you can only go so far because the pendulum is cleverly hung near the back wall. In the forward direction, you can push it until it is horizontal if you want, but due to the confusing backround, it looks like about the same angle. The closer the object gets to horizontal, the more of its inherent "dead weight" you are supporting, and the heavier it seems.

Not sure what you mean by the inside of the cabin?

No, you are genuinely pushing it backwards, just not as far as you think you are. Notice that on the backwards push, you can only go so far because the pendulum is cleverly hung near the back wall. In the forward direction, you can push it until it is horizontal if you want, but due to the confusing backround, it looks like about the same angle. The closer the object gets to horizontal, the more of its inherent "dead weight" you are supporting, and the heavier it seems.

Not sure what you mean by the inside of the cabin?

So it really isn't heavier it just appears that way? Is that what you mean? And I meant that the inside of the cabin that appears to be slanted when you stand and walk in it and when the girl threw the tennis ball and it wound up going sideways instead of going straight a crossed the room.

Well, it is actually heavier because you're pushing it up higher, but it doesn't appear like you're pushing it up higher. Guess it's hard to explain.

Well, it is actually heavier because you're pushing it up higher, but it doesn't appear like you're pushing it up higher. Guess it's hard to explain.

I am so lost and confused right now. :drool How can an optical illusion make objects appear heavier?

Ha ha. Don't take it all so seriously. You won't be tested later any way.

In answer to your question, the optical illusion isn't making objects appear heavier; the optical illusion makes it appear like you're pushing the pendulum the same distance in the backward or forward direction, when if fact when you're pushing it forward (towards the center of the room) you are pushing it quite a bit more. The further you push it, the heavier (for real) it gets because the angle gets more severe.

You can actually see the difference in the pushes. Watch the girl pushing the weight backwards, and how far she pushes it (not very far). Then watch her push it forwards; you can see how much further the object is pushed, in fact she actually takes an extra step toward the center of the room. The further you push it, the heavier it gets (due to the angle).

Ha ha. Don't take it all so seriously. You won't be tested later any way.

In answer to your question, the optical illusion isn't making objects appear heavier; the optical illusion makes it appear like you're pushing the pendulum the same distance in the backward or forward direction, when if fact when you're pushing it forward (towards the center of the room) you are pushing it quite a bit more. The further you push if, the heavier (for real) it gets because the angle gets more severe.

You can actually see the difference in the pushes. Watch the girl pushing the weight backwards, and how far she pushes it (not very much). Then watch her push it forwards; you can see how much further the object is pushed, in fact she actually takes an extra step toward the center of the room. The further you push it, the heavier it gets (due to the angle).

Oh okay,.. I think I sort of get it now. :coffee

Here's the California version that I've been to. Same basic deal.

I totally forgot you posted this. Bad mistake to watch it before bed though, now I have more things to think about. :lol Lol, that thing about the different heights at the end was cool though. So many demonstrations but not enough explanations! :thinking

There's no explanations because it's all "tricks". Just illusions like a magician would use, and how many magicians explain their tricks. Penn and Teller are two of the few that do (sometimes), in fact they should let them roll through one of these places and debunk everything. But they'd be crazy to allow that as long as there's mystified paying customers.

There's no explanations because it's all "tricks". Just illusions like a magician would use, and how many magicians explain their tricks. Penn and Teller are two of the few that do (sometimes), in fact they should let them roll through one of these places and debunk everything. But they'd be crazy to allow that as long as there's mystified paying customers.

Actually, magic was the first thing I thought of and I honestly can't think of any other explanation other than that lol! :lol I love watching Penn and Teller even though they're atheists. :) I don't think that I have to agree with their beliefs in order to enjoy their tricks. All I can do now for them is keep praying that they find Jesus. :pray

I'm a big P&T fan also, even though I know they're avowed athiests. They actually have a large contingent of Christian fans who are constantly trying to "enlighten" them.

I'm a big P&T fan also, even though I know they're avowed athiests. They actually have a large contingent of Christian fans who are constantly trying to "enlighten" them.

Oh boy, I bet that doesn't annoy them. :rolleyes The way I see it is since I don't like it when atheists are constantly trying to shove their beliefs at me, if somebody alerts me that they are one first I express my concerns and then I shut up about it and pray for them and let them sort it out for themselves.

They're very vocal about their "non"-beliefs, but I wouldn't say they're militant about it. If they were, I'd probably stop watching them. They have a right to their beliefs. But I would evangelize to them if the opportunity arose.

They're very vocal about their "non"-beliefs, but I wouldn't say they're militant about it. If they were, I'd probably stop watching them. They have a right to their beliefs. But I would evangelize to them if the opportunity arose.

Although I'm not really an Evangelist per say, I agree with you. And then there's the good old saying; "to each their own." :shrug

It's why many of the people who are peddling this kind of thing as real, forbid professional magicians from the premises. Magicians are masters of illusion and so are always looking for the trick.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back