Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Children and school uniforms

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

Good idea or not? Here in my county, it's up to the individual school whether or not they want to adopt a uniform policy. I wish ALL schools would go to uniforms, but some people are so dead against it.

I think it would cut down on a lot of the teasing and I KNOW it would cut down on the cost.

I am mixed on the issue. I like the idea that we encourage children to be creative and make choices about clothes.

The down side is that clothes can be distracting in school and be a source for teasing. However, if you make people wear uniforms, does the teasing go away? I doubt it. It just changes to other things like oily hair, pimples, body weight, buckteeth, etc.

So I guess I am more in favor of a dress code as opposed to a uniform.

Quath

Quath said:
I am mixed on the issue. I like the idea that we encourage children to be creative and make choices about clothes.

The down side is that clothes can be distracting in school and be a source for teasing. However, if you make people wear uniforms, does the teasing go away? I doubt it. It just changes to other things like oily hair, pimples, body weight, buckteeth, etc.

So I guess I am more in favor of a dress code as opposed to a uniform.

Quath

But they can still be creative OUT of school. And the schools that HAVE adopted the uniform policy, behavior in the children has improved, grades have improved and there is a lot less bullying. I know there will ALWAYS be teasing, but I don't see the harm in trying something that may cut down on it. Plus, too many teens are preteens are dressing TRASHY. They have plenty of time to dress that way if they choose to as an adult (not that I think it is ok, but at least they're adults) but teens have no business wearing some of the things they wear.

As Nikki alluded to, I think uniforms are a great way to affect modest dress in children. We don't need anymore elementary kids running around school dressed for a night out on the town. (I had to help out with an elementary school project for part of a club I was in, and I was shocked that some of the kids I worked with dressed in clothes several sizes too small and showing WAY more than any child in elementary school ought to even think of showing).

Dress codes, in my experience, have never been enforced evenly nor smoothly. Uniforms would definitely cut back on a lot of hassle, etc.

School uniforms do cut out a lot of expense... and they teach children values other than clothes.

I have YET to see a child adversely affected in their upbringing because they had to wear a school uniform. But the opposite is not true.

:)

Nikki said:
Good idea or not? Here in my county, it's up to the individual school whether or not they want to adopt a uniform policy. I wish ALL schools would go to uniforms, but some people are so dead against it.

I think it would cut down on a lot of the teasing and I KNOW it would cut down on the cost.
My daughter attended a uniform only school before we moved but now attends on that has uniforms but they are not mandatory. I opted out in this one, not because I am against them but that it was like pulling teeth to find something for a girl that is cute in the colors of navy blue, forest green, and white that did not break the bank.

Lyric's Dad said:
Nikki said:

My daughter attended a uniform only school before we moved but now attends on that has uniforms but they are not mandatory. I opted out in this one, not because I am against them but that it was like pulling teeth to find something for a girl that is cute in the colors of navy blue, forest green, and white that did not break the bank.
And you have more options than I do! She has to wear navy blue bottoms, and either red or white collared shirt. That's it.

In my opinion it's not any cheaper. She still has to have regular clothes, so the uniform expense is an additional expense for me. (And they are not cheap, either...every once and a while Wal Mart will have some, but that's only once in a great while.)

In my opionion, the problem of modesty (or shall I say lack thereof??) still exists. I mean, have you guys SEEN how short some of those uniform skirts are? :o for elementary girls? :o So, it's not really a solution at all. Parents who would normally dress their little girls in immodest clothes, will still do so just in different colors. :roll:

Overall I think it's worth it though.

Most schools can get a deal with some uniform companies to put school logo's etc. on clothing--which, since coming from the store can cut out expense and would prevent parents from buying "uniforms" that are too short/etc.

and as for having to buy other clothes... there are stores that sell kids clothes for cheap. they don't need the latest fashions from the mall... Wal-Mart has clothes too!

It starts with us, as parents, and our attitude w.r.t. clothes and worldly possessions and how we see what is important.... what treasures we store up.

Values and relationships and how we perceive God and our Lord Jesus Christ and how we treat our "neighbors" is surely more important than clothes and things which pass away.

We often quote John 3:16 ....... ever had a serious look at 1 John 3:16-17?

John said:
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?

:-?

I like uniforms because I think it prepares kids for life and it teaches them to have a nice, neat, clean cut appearance. The down side of uniforms though is they can be costly especially if you can only buy the uniforms from a certain place so a monopoly is formed and any price can be set for the uniform. I live in Asia and the uniforms here are so costly that each child only has one uniform which means they have to wear the same clothes every day. Since most people don't have dryers and we have a rainy season and cold winters, people generally only wash the uniforms once a week. If kids could wear regular clothes, they could wear fresh clothes every day, and could buy regular clothes much cheaper than uniforms. Moreover, if one thinks uniforms insure modesty, that is not necessarily true. Girls often hem up their skirts to make them super short; so they are wearing the uniform but at an immodest length. They can also button down their shirts to show cleavage if they so choose. In addition, if people think uniforms will stop teasing, they are wrong. As someone else mentioned, kids will always find something to tease about. Uniforms will not stop bullying and teasing, but they will teach kids how to have a professional, polished looked.

CatholicXian said:
Most schools can get a deal with some uniform companies to put school logo's etc. on clothing--which, since coming from the store can cut out expense and would prevent parents from buying "uniforms" that are too short/etc.

and as for having to buy other clothes... there are stores that sell kids clothes for cheap. they don't need the latest fashions from the mall... Wal-Mart has clothes too!

Honestly, I can only think of a few times I've paid full price for something. I have "clearance radar"! Seriously, that's all I look for and I but OUT OF SEASON. I buy winter clothes in the Spring when they're marked down and Summer clothes when the stores get in all their fall/winter stuff. I'm all about a good deal!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back