Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

christian marriage & drug addiction

• Thread starter bornagainbeliever
  • Start date

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
B

bornagainbeliever

I have been married less than 3 years, I have 2 children from my first marriage. (he passed away 5 years ago). When I married my current husband he told me that he had a drug problem but that he was done with it. He did say however that from time to time he smoked pot. well once we were married and moved into an apt together i found him wanting to smoke every day. In the first year of our marriage he did speed twice. I forgave that and have just lived with his pot addiction. Now this past saturday he snorted $20.00 worth of cocaine, he told me it was his first time in a very long time. I told him he either needed to get drug counseling or move out. When he started packing his stuff to move out I freaked out and he said that I have a lot of my own issues and he promised that this is the first time and that he won't do it again. I don't know what to do. HE wont abide by any boundaries i set up...HE wont' stop smoking pot...Now I dont know what to do...My kids adore him and don't want to be fatherless again...HELP>>>>>

If you do not give him boundaries and enforce them, he will continue as he is. If his desire is to stay with you he will obey the boundaries, if he does not, and you don't budge, he will probably leave. If you set the limits, the boundaries, you will know his heart by his actions. If he leaves, he was never worth the price. Also, you need to first and foremost get him some serious rehab and counseling. Until then, if he continues the drug abuse, you will be only talking to the drugs.

My kids adore him and don't want to be fatherless again...

Is a bad father better than no father?

Darck Marck said:
Is a bad father better than no father?

Good quote. :wink:

They will always have a father.....just not living with them. I would NEVER expose my children to a lifestyle of drugs. If I became a drug addict, I would hope my hubby would take them somewhere else. I know I sure would.

It's funny before I was married and had kids I said I would never do a lot of things and then when it was right there in front of me I was frozen by fear. I pray no one pass judgement on me, I have issues that you may not have, I am not making excuses just saying that many people end up places that they said they never would. SO I am always careful to not use the word never because that rarely is the case.

I'm not passing judgement on you. I'm just trying to CONVINCE you to get out of the situation. I'm not saying to divorce him tomorrow. I believe there is hope for EVERYONE. I have a 14 year old cousin that is a crack addict. They go tomorrow to hopefully get him in an inpatient treatment center. My uncle (not my cousins dad...another uncle) was a crack addict most of his life. It took him moving from Florida to here to clean him up. He's now doing GREAT. I thought there would NEVER be hope for him, but there was.

I just hope you can gain the courage to leave for the time being. Get your kids out of that environment or they will end up like your hubby. I've seen it too many times. My cousins dad used drugs when he was a toddler and small child. Thankfully he was able to stop before it took over his life. But, my cousin was exposed to his dads behavior for that short amount of time and now look what's happened.

I will pray for God to give you the strength you need to go somewhere safe for the time being. Maybe all it will take is you leaving for him to seek help. That to me would be the best gift a wife could give her husband....his life back.

Thanks for that ....I also appreciate the prayers...I have been praying for strength & courage. There is a part of me that has been held by fear for so long that it has made me a prisoner. I ask that you pray for me to have the faith and courage to follow through whatever God asks of me to help not only my children but my husband. I know the truth deep down is that he loves me but he doesn't love himself. So I ask that you pray for him to. Thanks

bornagainbeliever,

Blessings to you. You have my sincerest prayers in this situation.

I would like to offer something a bit different. I would like to encourage you to really pray for your husband daily, and build him up. The book, "Power of a Praying Wife" is very good to help with this. It is inexpensive, and helps you pray, when you don't know what to pray...or, when you are so distraught that you can't pray. I know it is hard to have respect for someone when their choices seem foolish...and indeed will have consequences, but you must. He is building a pile of regrets, but God can turn it into wonderful blessings.

I am afraid that making demands, setting boundaries, and possibly harping or fussing could place him a position where he does not feel like the head of your home, and is not getting respected. He does not have to obey you. He deserves honor and respect because of his position, not because he is a perfect person or somehow earns it. That is his God given role in your home, and God commands you to treat him accordingly. This is not conditional in scripture. As believers we must do things differently from this world.

I am not saying that you must agree, or condone what he is doing. And, I am not saying that he shouldn't endure the consequences of his actions. I am saying that your ministry of wife, and mother, includes dealing with the snares that may entrap those around you that you love. Satan is a deceiver, and will attack this weakness for as long as your husband lives. It's a battle that Christ has one the victory over for him, and yet he must trust God by believing this. When he falls into this snare he must trust God to lead him. Troubles and trials are never a reason for a woman to take the lead. As wives, we must be submissive, and win our husbands over with our conduct. He is your flesh, and he above all others, should receive your mercy and forgiveness. Being a woman of grace, and trusting God in all situations, is a blessing for God, your family, and you. If he is placing you, or his children, in a dangerous situation...then, certainly you must remove yourself, and them, from it. However, trying to manipulate him with your emotions, or control him with your speech, and actions, is only going to succeed in belittling him, and making him feel less of a man...he will only aspire to worthlessness if that is what he feels.

May I encourage you to be prayerful, not to talk against him to others, encourage the children to honor him, honor him yourself, and let him know that you understand that he has a struggle, and that God can help him with it if the two of you trust Him together. What can you do to help, and let him know that you are one flesh with him, and will love and serve him through it? Could you ask him to protect you, and the children, by setting boundaries for himself? Could he outline a plan, and create the terms that will protect you, and even let you know at what point you would have permission to ask him to leave? Does he know that you are afraid of losing him, and that you need his protection and reassurance? Or can he only hear demands and conditions that you have set into place? Is he being respected when you speak of this matter? Allow him to protect his family, even from himself if he has to, by giving him that opportunity.

I think the children could learn a lot from seeing their mother honor God, and their father, in this situation. It is a trial, but God can make it a blessing. It can draw your husband's heart towards Him, and you.

You mentioned that you lost your first husband. I am so sorry for you and your children that you had to go through that. Your current husband is a blessing. Remember to treat him that way. Your heart, and the heart's of his children, belong to him. Do not let a trial turn them away...that is exactly what satan desires...that is his whole plan...to destroy your husband's family through this sin. Trust God, by trusting your husband, even though he is sinful. Show them both that you love them through your obedience. If you usurp your husbands authority, you disobey God and come out from under His protection.

http://www.aboverubies.org This site is very encouraging to wives. Click and then go to articles and stories section, then look under marriage. They will bless you. They also have a magazine, and it's free.

I hope and pray that you all come through this, and ultimately that God is glorified in it all...and that you, and your beautiful, family are delivered and blessed immensely. He has a way of using these things to make our lives more joyful than we ever thought.

Blessings.

Oh, I also wanted to mention that our church has a program called reformers unanimous...many churches do this program.

http://www.reformu.com You may find a location in a Bible believing church in your area. Maybe your husband will want to go one day.

Your words brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for your wonderful thoughtful words. Today in my bible reading I was reading in first Peter about Wives being able to win their unbelieving husbands not by words but by their actions by being an example for them. So I understand fully what you are saying. It amazes me that even Gods people instead of seeing drugs, alcohol, sex and every other form of satan is sin. While I may not have those issues I have others and I have to daily surrender them to God. I have been reading the power of a praying wife but must admit as of late I have put it down. since I first wrote in here I made a decision that I felt at peace with. 1. I would no longer seek advice from anyone regarding my marriage until I first and foremost talked to God and sought his advice and 2. I would only leave if he endangered my children. I thank you and Thank God for you, that you would take the time to write to me....I am a pastors daughter and for me divorce is not the option even if I were to ever seperate I wouldn't divorce and remarry I would stay his wife and pray for him. But for now he is in my home and I will pray for him as I would for any other sinner but even more because he is one with me through marriage.
Again thank you for taking your time.

bornagainbeliever,

I see that the Holy Spirit is working on your heart, and is preparing you for the work that God has ahead of you. I praise Him that He has given you a wise heart that finds His word to be a priceless treasure. You will be fine, because of the One you serve. You are the daughter of the most High King to be sure. It was a joy to read your reply, and to see how God moves the members of His church to support one another in love and truth, and to provide confirmation of the teachings He is giving to us through His Spirit. I was quite encouraged, and blessed by you this morning. I hope that my heart can be as humble and teachable before the Lord as yours has been. It's a beautiful example, and I give Him the glory for it. I will keep you in my prayers.

Blessings

I am amazed when I read your words, I have read the replies of others and have not sensed or felt what I do when I read yours. I don't read your replies I feel your replies, It's as if God is speaking to me. Maybe you don't sense it or maybe you are just writing what God wants you to, however I feel Gods Love through your words. Thank you for being open to Him and for allowing Him who gave his life for us to speak through you. Thank you for being a vessel of God's love to me. You have absolutely no idea what your words have meant to me. Thank YOu...Stephanie

Stephanie,

Thank you for your kind words to me...isn't God just so wonderful to use us, and encourage us, as He does? You have been a vessel of love as well. Blessings.

BORNAGAINBELIEVER...

Yes, my heart goes out to you. I live with an alcoholic, and have for 36 years and my childhood was the same. I pray for you, and continue to do so. It is true it does affect the children. I'm not passing judgement on you, as I have no right to do that. We all make mistakes in life, and have to answer to them. My girls grew up to be wonderful citizens of this world (praise God), and they are believers in the Lord and go to church. They do however, have problems with relationships as I believe it is because they haven't seen a relationship that is stable due to our envirement. I am thankful each day that these adults in their 30's (my children), are always sensitive to other people and have no problem with helping others and being there for their friends, and they have a true belief in the Lord. I don't have fancy scripture words, as God knows I seldom read the bible and have alot to read. But in my heart, I believe in Him. Only Him. And I will pray for you and that you will find strength to do what you feel you need to do.

Lovin :smt049

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back