Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christianity and the Bible: A derivative of astrotheology

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Bump...

The movie shows us how the Jesus story is not origional, so how can Jesus be more real than the sun god Horus (who shares many similarities with Jesus - a story which came 3000 years before him)?

I haven't watched the video, but I've read plenty on this theory. And it is nothing but empty tripe. Perhaps if Gnosticism was the original Christianity (which it most certainly isn't) it might hold some weight. But Christianity has no such beliefs of recycled mysticism of gods dying and being reborn for capricious antimosities and bids for power.

Jesus was a humble messiah who gave of himself, not seeking so much as to even openly proclaim himself as God, and gave of himself. And his disciples did not after he ascended then make up all kinds of stories to explain the disappearance of their Savior. They instead acted in the utmost confidence that Jesus had come in the flesh and subjected himself to suffering, ridicule, and death bearing our sins in his body. If Jesus was truely sent by God and righteous, then his righteousness was suficient for sin, and thus God had justification to raise Jesus from the dead and exalt him. No such story will be found in your pagan imitations.

The Bible speaks for itself of the reason for Jesus' ressurection, take heed of it: "He was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification. " (Romans 4:25).

It is this truth, and no pagan myths, that explains and gives significance to Jesus' ressurection.

~Josh

I just watched it, boy did you pick a sly one.

Be careful to always check your sources. Searching for some of those references myself the google search turns up only 3 pages for some of them and most were circular references (meaning they came from one another).

Now two clear misconceptions: A) Jesus was not born on December 25, and B) The Bible nowhere ever says there were three wise men. That kills all the "astrological" tripe dead in the water immediately, since it leaned so heavily on it.

As for the others, playing off questionable etymologies of which I suspected even as I heard them, I here refer you to two other forums that I found which have already discussed this video, and along the way discredit other elements of the film:

Right off the starting line, I don't buy it.

For one thing, I can't find a single authentic story of Horus being crucified. I find quite a few references which lead to other sources which lead to still more claims which eventually lead back to the original reference, but I'm not finding anything about it at all in Egyptian mythology. Could be I'm overlooking it, so if anybody can point it out to me, that'd be good.

Then there are the somewhat silly statements about "horizon" having origin in the phrase "Horus is risen", "sunset" being a reference to the battle between the sun and Set, and "hours" being a derivation from "Horus". Sorry, but that's nonsense. "Horizon" (besides referencing where the sun sets as well as rises and indeed, all points of the skyline) is derived from Greek (orizon), "to limit", and "sunset" has its origin in Old English "sunne" and "settan", and it means to put the sun down. It has nothing to do with Set, the Egyptian god. "Hours" is the plural of "hour", which came from Greek "hora". "Hours" is an anagram of "Horus", but so what? Just because a word in another language sounds/looks like a word in English doesn't mean they have origins in common.

I haven't checked out the rest of it, but that was enough to put me off. There's enough well-researched information about derivative mythologies without making stuff up.

http://freethinkerspub.yuku.com/topic/4451

And also:

Most of it is bald assertion. To be fair, it's hard to footnote a video, but I looked up the most easily checked claims

'horizon' is from Horus.

Wrong. According to Wicktionary: 'Derived from Greek (orizon), to limit.'

'hours' is from Horus

Wrong. Again: Via Middle English, from Old French heure, from Latin hÃ…Âra "hour", from Ancient Greek (hora) "any time or period, whether of the year, month, or day".

I've read some things about Horus, and never come across any of the things he says. Horus is the son of Isis and Osiris.

I HAVE studied Krishna, and he was not crucified, or born of a virgin. Or any of the other rubbish

In the big list at the end, he mentions Buddha and Mohammed, who again I know this doesn't work for.

He then says Jesus was the most recent, though Mohammed was later. Hmmm..

So in conclusion, my objection is that as far as I can make out, it's entirely made up. The entire video can be divided into

1) no evidence for, I know it's wrong
2) no evidence for, I can assume it's wrong

http://www.fiveeightforums.com/the-...t-debate-continues-t31248/index.html?p=604392

I too believe it is largely made up (and I caught its error on saying Muhammad was included among those "born of a virgin" also - that one was incredibly obvious). Unless you can provide me with a shred of evidence to corroborate that enourmous and stretched thesis, it falls absolutely flat, regardless of the "smooth words" and "tantalizing music" and appeal to the "seduction of 'secret knowledge'".

~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back