Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Gen 1:2--What in the World!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Barbarian observes:
Non-biologists often conflate the two.

Did you miss the part where I said he had a PhD in biophysics? He can hardly be called a "non-biologist".

Few biophysicists know anything at all about taxonomy or paleontology. And what they know about evolution is molecules. So it's not surprising that they might not know what the theory is about. I do notice that this is never conflated in the biophysics literature. Probably because such a paper would be caught by an editor. Of course, if you can show me something in the literature to that effect, it would at least suggest that biophysicists have a theory of common descent.

Barbarian observes:
As you see, common descent isn't even a theory.
You referred to it as a theory in another thread. You said it was a different theory than evolution.

Don't think so. If so, that was an error. As you have seen, it's not part of Darwinian theory or modern evolutionary theory.

But this doesn't surprise me. You've already admitted that, to support evolution, you have to have to be able to change the definition of the most basic terms used in the theory.

Show us that. Seriously. You'll need to substantiate that accusation.

It doesn't surprise me that you claim that things are theories or not theories depending on what suits you.

We'll know that when we see you show where I said one has to change the definition of the most basic terms of the theory, in order to support evolution. I'm sure we're all eager to see that.

I had a conversation with a coworker the other day about evolution. We were sitting at a round table in the break room and next to us was a rectangular table. I suggested a theory and asked him what he thought of it.

TOG: What would you say if I proposed the theory that all tables are circular?
Coworker: I would point to that table and say you're wrong.
TOG: Some circles have straighter edges than other circles.

The very fact that evolutionists have to resort to this type of tactic and change the meaning of "species" whenever it suits them

We discussed why it's such a problem for creationists in another thread:
Barbarian wrote:
In The Origin of Species, Darwin wrote:
Finally, varieties cannot be distinguished from species-except, by the discovery of intermediate linking forms; and secondly , by a certain indefinite amount of indifference between them; for two forms, if differing very little, are generally ranked as varieties, notwithstanding that they cannot be closely connected; but the amount of indifference considered necessary to give any two forms the rank of species cannot be defined.

Darwin did not consider species to be a real entity as creationists imagine; he saw species as a mental construct with no absolutes. His prediction has been repeatedly verified. There are all sorts of intermediate grades between species which are often very difficult or impossible to classify precisely. This contrasts with the doctrine of special creationism, which claims that God created each kind separately ex nihilo, and denies the possibility of such intermediate forms.

Some scientists, like Mayr, suggested that species do have an objective existence, but the accumulating evidence indicates otherwise. They shift and change over time, and their borders are impossible to discern in many cases.

How do creationists deal with this problem? The first and most common among the rank and file is merely denial, insisting that if someone would properly define the term, the problem would go away. Unfortunately, there seems no way to do that. Darwin's statement remains as valid today as it was when he wrote it.

Other creationists are willing to allow some speciation. It has the collateral benefit of explaining how all those animals were able to fit into the Ark; a few basic "kinds" were collected, and all the species we see today evolved from those by some sort of hyperfast evolution in a few thousand years, after which it stopped.

This is an attractive idea for many, but no one seems to be able to show anyone noticing that new species were appearing on a monthly basis. And while species-to-species transitionals are not common in the fossil record, they are, as Stephen Gould wrote, abundant at higher taxa. So the denial of evolution beyond the level of family is precisely where creationism is most at odds with the evidence.

It looks like an impossible dilemma. How do creationists reconcile these facts with their religion?

No creationist had a solution for this dilemma. Can you figure out a way to reconcile this with creationism?

and change which things are theories and which aren't,

Well, let's see if you can show us that. There's two statements you attributed to me, which we'll need to see, if you want it believed.

tells me there's something seriously wrong with the theory.

As you just learned, common descent is not part of Darwinian theory. It's a consequence of the theory, but as you see, if God made a few dozen basic "kinds" evolutionary theory would still account for the variety of life today, as the "baraminologist creationists" admit.

Edit: Checked your claims about what I wrote here. There are 8 pages of posts in which I discussed common descent. And only one post in which I referred to it as a "theory", and that was referring to E. Koonin's mention of a hypothesis of common descent, which he said as you might remember, was well-supported by evidence. I noted that a theory is a hypothesis which is well-supported by evidence, so if Koonin made such a hypothesis, then it would be a theory.

It remains true that common descent is a verification of evolutionary theory, not a theory for the rest of us as far as I can tell from a literature search. Koonin is entitled to make such a theory if he chooses, of course.

Your other claim seems to be false, but I'll wait to see what you have for evidence.

Last edited:
Few biophysicists know anything at all about taxonomy or paleontology. And what they know about evolution is molecules. So it's not surprising that they might not know what the theory is about.

[edited]Believe me, you are totally wrong about my brother. And in case you didn't realize it, you have to learn biology before you can learn biophysics. No biophysicist can be called a "non-biologist". In the case of my brother, he has BSc and MSc degrees in biology and a PhD in biophysics. But since he doesn't agree with you, that must mean he has no idea of what he's talking about. [edited]

The TOG​

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Barbarian saying something about evolution and origin of species not being the same thing. I could be wrong and this is not verbatim what he said but it had me confused as to what the theistic evolutionist believe. I thought they believe evolution does explain our origin.

[edited]
Believe me, you are totally wrong about my brother. And in case you didn't realize it, you have to learn biology before you can learn biophysics. No biophysicist can be called a "non-biologist". In the case of my brother, he has BSc and MSc degrees in biology and a PhD in biophysics. But since he doesn't agree with you, that must mean he has no idea of what he's talking about.

Again, just noting the obvious. That's O.K. I'm not so good in structural biology, either. Can we now conclude that my request for evidence is not going to be answered?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've edited a couple comments and their replies as off topic and personal.
I am inclined to leave this thread closed but will let other Moderators consider what (if any) consequence need be applied.

Back