Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Genesis 2:7 - What am I Missing?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
When Solomon wrote of "the silver cord be loosed," he was, in context, writing very figuratively of the degeneration of the physical body over time and its termination.

Ecclesiastes 12:1-8
1 Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near when you will say, "I have no delight in them";

Here, Solomon contrasts "the days of your youth" with the "evil days" when his reader no longer delights in them as he did in his youth. Why doesn't the reader delight any longer in the passing days? Because the days of youth are well in the past, before the afflictions of old age, which Solomon goes on to describe in a very figurative and amusing way.

2 before the sun and the light, the moon and the stars are darkened, and clouds return after the rain;

This is a reference to the eyes that "darken" in their capacity to see, growing cloudy and dim, as aging eyes often do.

3 in the day that the watchmen of the house tremble, and mighty men stoop, the grinding ones stand idle because they are few, and those who look through windows grow dim;

Here, Solomon describes the legs as "the watchmen of the house" that tremble, the "mighty men that stoop" represent the shoulders, a perennial symbol of manly strength, and "the grinding ones that are idle because they are few" picture the decayed and absent teeth of an elderly person.

4 and the doors on the street are shut as the sound of the grinding mill is low, and one will arise at the sound of the bird, and all the daughters of song will sing softly.

Since the teeth are few, and eating is not as enjoyable, "the doors on the street are shut," which are the lips. Seniors often grow jumpy, too, as Solomon points out here, starting at the sudden trill of a bird, and so those caring for them "sing softly" around them.

5 Furthermore, men are afraid of a high place and of terrors on the road; the almond tree blossoms, the grasshopper drags himself along, and the caperberry is ineffective. For man goes to his eternal home while mourners go about in the street.

The elderly cease to find excitement in risk and so avoid "high places" from which they might fall and "terrors on the road," which are occasions of confrontation and aggression. Their hair "blossoms as an almond tree" turning white with age, and they go about like an injured or dying grasshopper, stiff and heavy, dragging itself along. As well, upon the elderly, the caperberry, an ancient eating stimulant, no longer works to produce hungriness.

6 Remember Him before the silver cord is broken and the golden bowl is crushed, the pitcher by the well is shattered and the wheel at the cistern is crushed;

In keeping with his figurative description of the aged person, Solomon continues to render their condition in an artful way, the "silver cord," "golden bowl," the shattered "pitcher," etc., all referring to the termination of life, the physical body no longer fit for purpose, returning to the dust of the earth.

7 then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.
8 "Vanity of vanities," says the Preacher, "all is vanity!"

Does Solomon mean to indicate that there is a literal "silver cord" within a person that at death actually breaks? No, in context, he is just offering a figurative description of aging and death, nothing more.
That's nothing but a SECULARIST interpretation.

The Ecclesiastes 12:7 passage is about a separation of TWO OBJECTS...

Eccl 12:5-7
5 Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail:
because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:

Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it.
KJV

Only the "silver cord" (or silver thread per the Hebrew) represents the separation of the flesh ("dust") and the "spirit".

The idea of the golden bowl, or pitcher, or wheel being broken symbolizes only the 'concept' of the death of our flesh body, and does not point to our spirit part.

That's nothing but a SECULARIST interpretation.

LOL! No, it's actually the common reading of most Bible scholars and Bible commentaries.

Only the "silver cord" (or silver thread per the Hebrew) represents the separation of the flesh ("dust") and the "spirit".

There's just no textual reason to assert this. I've already explained why. Accept it, or don't. What you choose to do in this regard has no effect on what the passage actually says and means.

LOL! No, it's actually the common reading of most Bible scholars and Bible commentaries.
Yeah, and there's a lot of scholars that think with their 'flesh' instead of understanding certain spiritual matters in God's Word. Our spiritual makeup that God created us with many of those commentators are divided on. So just claiming things like, "well, I read it in a Bible commentary," isn't always proof.

There's just no textual reason to assert this. I've already explained why. Accept it, or don't. What you choose to do in this regard has no effect on what the passage actually says and means.

There certainly is reason, and it's in the very words there of those Eccl.12:5-7 descriptions. Like I had said...

Eccl.12:6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it.
KJV

Which descriptor points to the TWO objects "dust" and "spirit" at the same time?

1. "golden bowl be broken" --- points only to ONE object, the death of flesh.
2. "the pitcher be broken" --- points only to ONE object, death of the flesh.
3. "the wheel broken at the cistern" --- points only to ONE object, death of the flesh.
4. "ever the silver cord be loosed" --- points to TWO objects, separation of the flesh at death from one's spirit.

I can't make it any more simple for you than that.

Affirmed in Christ Jesus and Scripture.
"Out of the mouth of babes You have perfected praise means the praise of little children is perfect praise. It is perfect because children can comprehend the realities of God's kingdom that even the most learned fail to grasp (Matthew 19:14; Mark 10:13-15; Luke 18:16-17).

Psalm 8:2"

King James Version

2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.

Yeah, and there's a lot of scholars that think with their 'flesh' instead of understanding certain spiritual matters in God's Word.

Well, this is an interesting opinion, but this is, at bottom, all it is. I highly doubt you know any of the foremost Bible scholars presently living (or deceased, for that matter), and have no good basis, then, for saying they "think with their flesh."

Our spiritual makeup that God created us with many of those commentators are divided on.
Oh? Do tell. Which Bible scholars and commentaries, exactly, are in disagreement about a person's "spiritual makeup"?

So just claiming things like, "well, I read it in a Bible commentary," isn't always proof.

But I didn't say this. I only noted that the view of the last chapter of Ecclesiastes that I shared in this thread is very common, found in many Bible commentaries. In any case, saying, "I didn't read this idea in a Bible commentary" isn't "always proof," that the idea is correct, either.

There certainly is reason, and it's in the very words there of those Eccl.12:5-7 descriptions. Like I had said...

Eccl.12:6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it.
KJV

Which descriptor points to the TWO objects "dust" and "spirit" at the same time?

1. "golden bowl be broken" --- points only to ONE object, the death of flesh.
2. "the pitcher be broken" --- points only to ONE object, death of the flesh.
3. "the wheel broken at the cistern" --- points only to ONE object, death of the flesh.
4. "ever the silver cord be loosed" --- points to TWO objects, separation of the flesh at death from one's spirit.

??? This explanation may be "simple" to you, but its just badly confused, to me.

Whether its the silver cord loosed, golden bowl, pitcher, or cistern wheel broken, they are all figurative of the same thing: Death. Grammatically, none of these metaphors for death stand in stronger connection to the "dust" that returns to earth and the spirit that returns to God than any other. You certainly haven't established by reasoned argument that the broken silver cord does; you've just asserted it. But simply asserting a thing is so doesn't make it so. As is obvious in the verse, all of the metaphorical objects in verse 6 represent the single cause (death) of the "dust" (i.e. physical body) returning to earth and the spirit to God. You've simply assumed the silver cord must "point to two objects" where the others don't, but this dual pointing isn't the least evident in the verse itself. What, exactly, about the silver cord breaking necessarily indicates that it is pointing to the flesh and spirit while the other metaphors don't?

Back