Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Holy Spirit

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I have a weird question about the Holy Spirit. I’ve been basing my assurance of salvation on whether I can tell if I have the Spirit of God in me. I seriously can’t tell a difference between now and before I repented as far as peace of mind and joy. I can tell the truth of scripture is something I believe that I didn’t believe before. There’s been a lifestyle change as far as sin is concerned. But my mind is confused a lot with ocd like thoughts. And there is sporadic peace and joy.

Something I regret doing at the earliest stages of my repentance is I participated in being “slain in the Spirit”. I didn’t understand anything yet, and I faked falling back. I worry that I sinned against the Holy Spirit this way.

Anyone want to respond?

I can tell the truth of scripture is something I believe that I didn’t believe before. There’s been a lifestyle change as far as sin is concerned.
That is the power of the Holy Spirit at work :) .
Something I regret doing at the earliest stages of my repentance is I participated in being “slain in the Spirit”. I didn’t understand anything yet, and I faked falling back. I worry that I sinned against the Holy Spirit this way.
If you feel like you have sinned pray for forgiveness of your fault . God understands .

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

I have a weird question about the Holy Spirit. I’ve been basing my assurance of salvation on whether I can tell if I have the Spirit of God in me. I seriously can’t tell a difference between now and before I repented as far as peace of mind and joy. I can tell the truth of scripture is something I believe that I didn’t believe before. There’s been a lifestyle change as far as sin is concerned. But my mind is confused a lot with ocd like thoughts. And there is sporadic peace and joy.

Anyone want to respond?
Good morning keptandprotected, you are not alone with what you are saying, the antichrist has a short time left, the accuser of the Brethren, Obedience, and Endurance are very important to our Salvation.

True Repentance

According to the article, repentance is more than just acknowledging that we are wrong. It requires a series of steps to be followed in order to overcome sin. The seven steps are described in II Corinthians 7:11 and include sorrow, carefulness, clearing of oneself, indignation, fear, vehement desire, and zeal The article also emphasizes that repentance is not just a feeling but a permanent change in one’s life.

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
Hi keptandprotected You said "I can tell the truth of scripture is something I believe that I didn’t believe before. There’s been a lifestyle change as far as sin is concerned." This can only come by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that happens once you are Spiritually born again from above when you first confessed Jesus as your Lord and Savior. It is only Satan that likes to plant doubt in our thoughts as he does this to many of us, but once you know truth then that truth sets you free from doubts.

The term "slain in the Spirit" is found in Numbers 22:31; 2 Chronicles 5:13, 14; Ezekiel 44:4; 1:28; Matthew 17:6; John 6:5; 18:6; .

When you are in the presence of God's Holy Spirit it can cause your body to sway back and forth and go limp as the Holy Spirit engulfs you. It can cause your body to go limp so much that you fall to the floor in His presence. It's the greatest experience one could ever have.

The term "slain in the Spirit" means falling to the ground as the power of God works through the Holy Spirit and engulfs you in the actual light of the glory of the Lord as He speaks to you. Some people will experience this like I have many times as well as others and some may never experience it at all as it's usually a special anointing from God when we worship and praise Him in song or prayer, or that He has a special message for the individual.

Anyone want to respond?

The "Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God," Paul wrote to the Christians at Rome (Romans 8:16). This "witness" isn't a mere sense, a feeling, but the life and work of the Spirit in evidence in your life in the way the Bible describes. The Holy Spirit will:

1.) Convict you. (John 16:8; Revelation 2-3)
2.) Teach you from God's word. (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16)
3.) Strengthen you. (Romans 8:11; Ephesians 3:16; Philippians 2:13; Philippians 4:13)
4.) Comfort you. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
5.) Transform you. (Romans 8:29; Galatians 5:22-23)
6.) Discipline you. (Hebrews 12:5-11)

Can you see God the Holy Spirit doing these things within you? If so, you can be confident you are one of God's children.

"Perfect love casts out fear," the apostle John wrote (1 John 4:18). There is nothing that is more powerful in dissolving our fear than the settled confidence we have as God's children in His incredible, enduring, patient, faithful love for us. The more we not only know but believe that God loves us, the less fearful we will be. And the more His Spirit fills us with himself, with the love that he is, the less room there is in us for fear to exist. As God's children live in humble submission to God, in faith believing that He loves them far, far, far beyond the love of anyone else, the Holy Spirit moves as the "living water" that he is into every region of their life and occupies them with all the good things that He is: love, joy, peace, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, etc. (Galatians 5:22-23). As this happens, the Christian person is set free from the bondage of fear.

Nowhere in God's word does the phrase "slain in the Spirit" appear. No one in the New Testament was so slain, nor did Paul, John, James, Peter or the writers of the Gospels teach such a thing. The only folk in the New Testament who behaved anything like those "slain in the Spirit" today were those who were demon-possessed.

Mark 9:17-20 (NASB)
17 And one of the crowd answered Him, "Teacher, I brought You my son, possessed with a spirit which makes him mute;
18 and whenever it seizes him, it slams him to the ground and he foams at the mouth, and grinds his teeth and stiffens out. I told Your disciples to cast it out, and they could not do it."
19 And He *answered them and *said, "O unbelieving generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him to Me!"
20 They brought the boy to Him. When he saw Him, immediately the spirit threw him into a convulsion, and falling to the ground, he began rolling around and foaming
at the mouth.

So, beware. Confine yourself to what God's word says, not to the direction of those who would urge you into beliefs and practices that are actually from paganism, like the "slain in the Spirit" stuff.

Anyone want to respond?
The fact that you are concerned and willing to grow & learn and want truth is evidence of the Spirit already.

Also it's not a feeling, don't rely on a feeling.

Back