Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth I’d like to share with you the basic general knowledge of prayer:

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Follow God

Thank the Lord! I’d like to share with you the basic general knowledge of prayer:
1. Do not blindly say whatever comes to mind. There must be a burden within your heart, which is to say, you must have an objective when you pray.

2. Your prayers must contain the words of God; they must be based upon the words of God.

3. When praying, you cannot go over old ground; you must not bring up things that are outdated. You should specially train yourself to speak the actual words of the Holy Spirit; only then will you be able to make a connection with God.

4. Group prayer must be centered around a core, which must be the work of the Holy Spirit today.

5. All people must learn how to pray for others. They must find the part in God’s words that they wish to pray for, based upon which they must have a burden, and for which they must often pray. This is one manifestation of care for God’s will
” (“Concerning the Practice of Prayer”).

You are making an assumption that everyone is at the same ability, spiritual growth, maturity etc.
You are expecting babies to have the same understanding and maturity as veterans.
Life is not neat and God understands life.

A story, A Christian was asked what was the secret of his prayer life?
His reply, 'See that copper kettle the wife is polishing. Now you give it a rub every now and then and it'll stay bright, but let it get full and you'll have a bi job to get it bright again.'

God wants us to pray, yes he wants 'grown up' prayers, but he wants us to pray.

Jesus taught about prayer in a few ways. One was to not be repeative or just fill our prayer with a lot of words like the pagans had done, thinking that will make them heard.

Yet even with that, Jesus also said to be persistent. To take a lesson from a parable of a wicked Judge who would not listen except that the person never quit pestering them for justice, and finally the judge listened. So also we should be that way and be persistent in our prayers.

Jesus said how to pray as well. The Lord's Prayer in light of His teaching of not being repetitive, means either that the Lord's Prayer is the exception, or that it is direction on things to focus on in our prayers. Nonetheless, Jesus also said to pray for all things, and to constantly be in prayer.

I think we are suppose to come to God like a child goes to their own father. So I don't think prayer life has rules mandated for being only the mature ones, or the spirit filled ones. But to just do it on all occasions. In praise, in need, in confusion. In all occasions.

That said the rule for group prayer makes sense. Have a focus when in a group prayer. After all, Jesus said that when two or more come together in agreement, then Jesus is there with them.

We should always pray for what God wants and make His wants our own wants. But that is something that hopefully comes with maturity and the Holy Spirit. With or without that insight though, giving everything to God in prayer should be the thing to do.

For me this is a hard habit to get into. I assume it's a challenge for most others too. Still that's how it should be done. At least that's how I understand the matter.

Prayer is very hard for some people as they do not know how to pray or they think there should be some grand format to follow to make a perfect prayer. Some are even afraid to even approach Jesus as they feel he is unreachable in their lives for the way they live, but Jesus will hear the prayers of anyone who has a sincere heart for the Lord no matter who they are and in all boldness will come to him.

Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Praying is humbling ourselves before the Lord and making a petition before him in simplicity of words for whatever our need is. Jesus, as our mediator, sits at the right hand of God making intercession for the saints of God as he presents our petitions before the Father. You do not need eloquent elaborate words or long prayers that use vain repetitions like the Pharisees used as God called them hypocrites because they were arrogant in their ways loving to have others see them in such formality who made the outside of themselves look good, but were nothing more than full of iniquity.

Back