Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I am not truly saved and I'm scared to tell my parents

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

DoaWK1992

A 15-year old with anxiety
So, I have been 'saved' three times, but I realized that I didn't mean it any of those times.

The first time I was 'saved,' I was little, so of course, I didn't mean it.
The second time, I didn't mean it either.
The third time, I just said it because I was scared of going to hell. If I tell my parents or any of my family members, they'll get upset with me. I know they will.
I want to be saved and I want to be saved by faith but I feel like if I try again it'll just be the same reason.

(By the way, sorry if this is a bit confusing. I have anxiety so...)

Last edited:
So, I have been 'saved' three times, but I realized that I didn't mean it any of those times.

The third time, I just said it because I was scared of going to hell. If I tell my parents or any of my family members, they'll get upset with me. I know they will.
I want to be saved and I want to be saved by faith but I feel like if I try again it'll just be the same reason.

You have three choices.
1. Tell your parents you are not converted and get the repercussions from them.
2. Don't tell your parents, and act like the posers who pretend they love God with all their hearts, souls, and minds.
3. Convert, and live a life that manifests the life, and death, of Jesus Christ, and without sin.

3 will also have repercussions, so be prepared to "not look back".
"And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62)

I guess 3
You can't "guess".
Living a life of obedience to God will have many deterrents, and may even invite violent opposition.
Look at what happened to the apostles !
But be assured, God will never allow you to be tempted above what you can handle !
"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)
Learn your bible like your life depends on it !
It does.

As for anxiety, everyone has it.
With age, comes coping mechanisms.
Practice makes perfect...so to speak.
Do the things that made you anxious at six years old still make you anxious ?
I hope not !
So too, the things that make you anxious now will eventually just be "life in the past".

It’s good to see that the word save, has an important range of meaning.

Evangelicalism tends to think that fate after death is based on a point-of-decision (repentance towards Christ), and Catholicism tends to think that fate after death is based on a point-of-action (viz water-baptism/sprinkling): both have some truth, and both usually allow a little slack.

IMO it’s linked to core orientation, which can express itself in a point-of. In short, if you have a desire to be with God eternally, God will respect that orientation eternally even if you never come to a point-of. It’s personal and individual. It’s never an issue of letting others down or pleasing others. But loving families can, with a point-of mentality, tend towards wishing all its members to share the best together: hence the desire to feel that all are together spiritually, and the thought that any family member is outside that togetherness, will sadden the family. You get the opposite where hell-raising friends foolishly say they choose hell to be with their mates: at most they get hell-on-earth, irrespective of their core spiritual desire, and many after death put off such childishness upon awaking into heaven.

Evangelicalism is right to emphasise that being saved into the church before death is heaven on Earth, and is based on personal choice towards Christ. For some it’s a 180 degrees about turn (repentance); for some it’s a 180 degrees circular turn (repentance) over years.

Life has many anxieties. Some speak of Rapture Anxiety. There is also Hell Anxiety. But hey, even wrong anxieties can work towards one’s good: for wrong reasons we can make right decisions. Like medicine, anxiety can work to a healthy post-anxiety life—health should supersede medicine. A fear of hell can help move towards a desire for heaven, indeed for God, on Earth.

I was saved, in the sense of coming into Christ’s church, around the age of six. I floated away, then floated back to stay. I think the litmus test is whether one desires to go higher up and deeper in (as the C S Lewis Narnia books put it). [I want to be saved] sounds to me like you are saved in the sense of being a Christian, a member of Christ’s community though not knowing it, and wishing to journey the Way. God sees your heart. Of course it’s good speak your heart to him: on prayer see https://archive.org/details/prayers-gone-global-exploring-biblical-prayer/mode/2up. In humility before God and inviting his help, seek to read it, to think it, to walk it, and to enjoy it. Treat the journey as not to gain heaven but towards heaven your home, yet aware that it won’t always—perhaps will seldom—seem heavenly. The journey is opposed and has much conflict, but it is the best journey.

What would it be like for you to have really "meant it"? Do you know? How much "really meant it" is enough before God accepts you as His own? I'm pretty sure you don't know (and neither does anyone else). Nowhere in God's word does He say to us, "This is the exact amount of faith that'll save you." And this is so because it isn't the amount of your faith, it isn't it's quality, that saves you.

Did God not understand that you were a very young child and could only respond to Him as such? Does God expect a little child to come to Him in the way an adult would? Obviously not. But God still accepts the little child who comes to Him, ignorant and childish though they may be because He only accepts any of us because of what Jesus has done on the cross for us, not because we're good enough, or sincere enough, or sufficiently full of faith, or whatever. Do you remember the story of the man with the demon-possessed child who comes to Jesus and asks him to free his boy from the demons that have him? Here it is:

Mark 9:17-27
17 And someone from the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I brought my son to you, for he has a spirit that makes him mute.
18 And whenever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid. So I asked your disciples to cast it out, and they were not able.”
19 And he answered them, “O faithless generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him to me.”
20 And they brought the boy to him. And when the spirit saw him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth.
21 And Jesus asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood.
22 And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”
23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.”

24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”
25 And when Jesus saw that a crowd came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”
26 And after crying out and convulsing him terribly, it came out, and the boy was like a corpse, so that most of them said, “He is dead.”
27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose.

How did Jesus respond to the man when he said, "I believe; help my unbelief!"? Did Jesus say to him, "Well, until you believe enough, I'm not helping you"? Did Jesus say to him, "I only save those who really believe I can, who are sincere enough in their faith. So come back to me when that's you"? No. Though, the man had confessed to having doubts about Jesus' ability to help his son, Jesus still freed his son. He did this because he is our Savior, not because we deserve to be saved, not because we've done something to earn being saved, but because he loves us.

Do you really believe God loves you?

You see, it isn't the depth of our faith, it's sincerity or strength, that saves us. It's the object of our faith, it's the Person in whom we're believing, who saves us: Jesus Christ, the Savior. And he saves us because he is a loving, gracious, merciful God, not because of something in us that makes us worthy of his love.

How eager we are, though, to stand equal with God! Even when it comes to our being saved, we want to take the central place, to stand only where Jesus ought to stand, and share in his glory as our Savior. We do this by making our faith, our having "really meant it" when we came to God for salvation, the key to our salvation. By this means, we step into the role of Savior, pushing into a place that only Jesus has the right to occupy.

But God doesn't accept you as one of His own because of who you are or because of how much you've managed to believe in Him. He certainly doesn't accept you because you've managed to "clean yourself up" and make yourself deserving of His GIFT of salvation. No, God is willing to receive you as His own, to adopt you into His family, ONLY because you've trusted in Jesus as your Savior and submitted to him as your Lord, confessing your sin and expecting that God will, over time, change you and make you the person He wants you to be.

I became a Christian at the age of eight because I, too, was afraid of hell. But because God is good, because He is incredibly patient and faithful, because He loves me more than I can understand, He worked in me over time, helping me to abandon my fear and settle confidently and joyfully in His love for me. His First and Great Commandment is, after all, to love Him with all of my being (Matthew 22:36-38) and the more I know and trust that God loves me as much as the Bible tells me He does, the better able I am to love Him and rest easy in my salvation, His love dissolving all my fear.

1 John 4:16-19
16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
19 We love because he first loved us.

Last edited:
What would it be like for you to have really "meant it"? Do you know? How much "really meant it" is enough before God accepts you as His own? I'm pretty sure you don't know (and neither does anyone else). Nowhere in God's word does He say to us, "This is the exact amount of faith that'll save you." And this is so because it isn't the amount of your faith, it isn't it's quality, that saves you.

Did God not understand that you were a very young child and could only respond to Him as such? Does God expect a little child to come to Him in the way an adult would? Obviously not. But God still accepts the little child who comes to Him, ignorant and childish though they may be because He only accepts any of us because of what Jesus has done on the cross for us, not because we're good enough, or sincere enough, or sufficiently full of faith, or whatever. Do you remember the story of the man with the demon-possessed child who comes to Jesus and asks him to free his boy from the demons that have him? Here it is:

Mark 9:17-27
17 And someone from the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I brought my son to you, for he has a spirit that makes him mute.
18 And whenever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid. So I asked your disciples to cast it out, and they were not able.”
19 And he answered them, “O faithless generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him to me.”
20 And they brought the boy to him. And when the spirit saw him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth.
21 And Jesus asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood.
22 And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”
23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.”

24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”
25 And when Jesus saw that a crowd came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”
26 And after crying out and convulsing him terribly, it came out, and the boy was like a corpse, so that most of them said, “He is dead.”
27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose.

How did Jesus respond to the man when he said, "I believe; help my unbelief!"? Did Jesus say to him, "Well, until you believe enough, I'm not helping you"? Did Jesus say to him, "I only save those who really believe I can, who are sincere enough in their faith. So come back to me when that's you"? No. Though, the man had confessed to having doubts about Jesus' ability to help his son, Jesus still freed his son. He did this because he is our Savior, not because we deserve to be saved, not because we've done something to earn being saved, but because he loves us.

Do you really believe God loves you?

You see, it isn't the depth of our faith, it's sincerity or strength, that saves us. It's the object of our faith, it's the Person in whom we're believing, who saves us: Jesus Christ, the Savior. And he saves us because he is a loving, gracious, merciful God, not because of something in us that makes us worthy of his love.

How eager we are, though, to stand equal with God! Even when it comes to our being saved, we want to take the central place, to stand only where Jesus ought to stand, and share in his glory as our Savior. We do this by making our faith, our having "really meant it" when we came to God for salvation, the key to our salvation. By this means, we step into the role of Savior, pushing into a place that only Jesus has the right to occupy.

But God doesn't accept you as one of His own because of who you are or because of how much you've managed to believe in Him. He certainly doesn't accept you because you've managed to "clean yourself up" and make yourself deserving of His GIFT of salvation. No, God is willing to receive you as His own, to adopt you into His family, ONLY because you've trusted in Jesus as your Savior and submitted to him as your Lord, confessing your sin and expecting that God will, over time, change you and make you the person He wants you to be.

I became a Christian at the age of eight because I, too, was afraid of hell. But because God is good, because He is incredibly patient and faithful, because He loves me more than I can understand, He worked in me over time, helping me to abandon my fear and settle confidently and joyfully in His love for me. His First and Great Commandment is, after all, to love Him with all of my being (Matthew 22:36-38) and the more I know and trust that God loves me as much as the Bible tells me He does, the better able I am to love Him and rest easy in my salvation, His love dissolving all my fear.

1 John 4:16-19
16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
19 We love because he first loved us.
thanks for the helpful answer :)

Why do you think you are not saved?

What do you believe about Jesus?
I believe he is the son of God and came to earth to die for the sins of the world I also believe the trinity and that God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit are the same I also believe in the resurrection

I believe he is the son of God and came to earth to die for the sins of the world I also believe the trinity and that God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit are the same I also believe in the resurrection

Do you believe (not just know) God loves you far, far more than anyone else? If you do, how do you know that you do? How do you tell when what you know about God's love for you has become something you really believe?

Interestingly you do not say he is your saviour.

Does your church run the Christianity explored course or Alpha course?
If they do sign up for it.
If there is a church in your town running one of these courses again, gather up your courage and ask your parents if you could sign up and attend.

If none of these are available and you don't want embarrassing talks with your parents or youth leader, start reading g the gospels praying for wisdom before you read and about anything you don't understand. Keep a journal of what you read, pray about and what you find or don't understand.
Together with this use sites like answersingenesis, toughquestionsanswered and coldcasechristianity to find out more about Christianity.

Jesus promised that All who searched for him would find him.

Being saved is not a feeling, its a mental state of discipline. You will know if you are saved if you have the mentality of Jesus Christ. His nature and fruits of His Spirit will be within you. You will still sin from time to time. But it gets easier and more genuine to repent. Which is also a state of mind. The goodness of this life doesnt replace spiritual purpose. God wants support for His work. Saved people support Gods work in different ways as the body of Christ.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back