Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

If you're struggling with sin or an addiction, does will power make any difference?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I've heard people say that you should put all of your problems on God to help you. It certainly does feel relieving that you can receive such help. Doesn't it help if you yourself are trying? Or are we literally supposed to just sit back and let God handle everything?

Addiction is sin. I believe Holy Spirit that lives within a true Christian will convict that person of sin in their lives. I also believe that the Christian needs to make a conscious decision to follow the leading of the Spirit. Some sins are extremely tough to break. The Lord has given us all a conscience and a mind to think. I can do all things through Christ who lives in me.

Prayer, constant prayer is key here. If you are truly set in your heart to break a sin, that is the leading of Holy Spirit, you need to act on that instantly and do not look back. As I said prayer is key.

I was addicted to nicotine for 35 years or so. I tried diligently to quit so many times I lost count. I believe the Lord would answer my prayer to quit that evil habit, the conviction was strong that I was sinning with my body against the Lord. I could not break that sin, I prayed and prayed and prayed some more, pleading and begging the Lord. The problem was not the Lord answering my prayer, the problem was me not praying from the heart to quit. In other words, I really did not want to quit.

It will be four years this year that I was delivered from that particular sin in my life. It took 3 days cold turkey to get rid of it. I neither crave nicotine or want anything to do with it. It does not even bother me when someone smokes around me.

What changed? My heart, I really wanted to please God and bring Him glory in that area in my life. He never changed, I did. I would like to add that I have been delivered from other sins in my life applying the same approach.

At 56, one would think that my personal "revelation" is common sense.

Another lesson learned. Your never to old to learn something new.

Grace and peace to you.

Addiction is sin. I believe Holy Spirit that lives within a true Christian will convict that person of sin in their lives. I also believe that the Christian needs to make a conscious decision to follow the leading of the Spirit. Some sins are extremely tough to break. The Lord has given us all a conscience and a mind to think. I can do all things through Christ who lives in me.

Prayer, constant prayer is key here. If you are truly set in your heart to break a sin, that is the leading of Holy Spirit, you need to act on that instantly and do not look back. As I said prayer is key.

I was addicted to nicotine for 35 years or so. I tried diligently to quit so many times I lost count. I believe the Lord would answer my prayer to quit that evil habit, the conviction was strong that I was sinning with my body against the Lord. I could not break that sin, I prayed and prayed and prayed some more, pleading and begging the Lord. The problem was not the Lord answering my prayer, the problem was me not praying from the heart to quit. In other words, I really did not want to quit.

It will be four years this year that I was delivered from that particular sin in my life. It took 3 days cold turkey to get rid of it. I neither crave nicotine or want anything to do with it. It does not even bother me when someone smokes around me.

What changed? My heart, I really wanted to please God and bring Him glory in that area in my life. He never changed, I did. I would like to add that I have been delivered from other sins in my life applying the same approach.

At 56, one would think that my personal "revelation" is common sense.

Another lesson learned. Your never to old to learn something new.

Grace and peace to you.
Hey All,
Well said. 👍
I have had the same long term struggle, but with a different sin addiction.

"Doesn't it help if you yourself are trying? Or are we literally supposed to just sit back and let God handle everything?" Quote from QuestionGuy

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Of course it helps. In fact, it is our responsibility to resist. Putting on the armor Paul wrote about in Ephesians 6 is about doing our part. Prepare, stand, resist:

To quote Star Trek TNG, "RESISTANCE IS NEVER FUTILE." JonLuc Picard, Captain of the Enterprise (That's the second time this week I have used this quote.)

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Sanctification is an ongoing process, a process that we are active in. We cannot sit back and say "let go and let God".

This is part of what Paul had in mind in Philippians 12:2

Philippians 2:12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;

obeyed. Their faithful response to the divine commands Paul had taught them (cf. Rom_1:5; Rom_15:18; 2Co_10:5-6).

work out your own salvation. The Greek verb rendered "work out" means "to continually work to bring something to fulfillment or completion." It cannot refer to salvation by works (cf. Rom_3:21-24; Eph_2:8-9), but it does refer to the believer's responsibility for active pursuit of obedience in the process of sanctification (see notes on Php_3:13-14; Rom_6:19; cf. 1Co_9:24-27; 1Co_15:58; 2Co_7:1; Gal_6:7-9; Eph_4:1; Col_3:1-17; Heb_6:10-11; Heb_12:1-2; 2Pe_1:5-11).

fear and trembling. The attitude with which Christians are to pursue their sanctification. It involves a healthy fear of offending God and a righteous awe and respect for Him (cf. Pro_1:7; Pro_9:10; Isa_66:1-2).

I've heard people say that you should put all of your problems on God to help you. It certainly does feel relieving that you can receive such help. Doesn't it help if you yourself are trying? Or are we literally supposed to just sit back and let God handle everything?

Well, if you want a properly Christian response, then you'll want a biblical one. What does the Bible say about what you've asked?

Philippians 2:12-13
12 ...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

We born-again children of God are to "work out" what God has first worked into us by the Holy Spirit. We simply "transmit" the work and life of God in us in the character of our living and interactions with those around us. But, many Christians, who God intends should "walk in the Spirit" (Galatians 5:16, 25; Romans 8:13b-14; Ephesians 3:16; 2 Corinthians 3:18) and increasingly manifest him in their everyday lives, set about to do for God rather than allowing Him to do for them. This is to "walk in the flesh," to attempt to achieve a godly end by means of fleshly (purely human) power. It is, basically, trying to create for God one's best version of Christlikeness. But "like begets like": A cat begets a cat; a dog begets a dog; and you (and I) can beget only more of ourselves. And so, if we're going to be truly godly, God will have to make us so.

It's because nothing spiritually good can come out of us, that God warns us off trying to achieve His ends by means of our human, fleshly powers.

Romans 7:18-19
18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.

Romans 8:5-8
5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:12-13
12 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh—
13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die...

Galatians 5:17
17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

Galatians 6:7-8
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption...

And so on. In our own human, fleshly strength, with a mind focused on Self-effort, we cannot please God. There is only spiritual corruption and the death of our fellowship with God (and one another, often) that results from trying to produce from the flesh, the life and fruit of the Spirit. This is why God says to us the following in the Bible:

1 Corinthians 1:8-9
8 who will also confirm you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Philippians 1:6
6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

1 Peter 5:10
10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.

Jude 1:24-25
24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,
25 to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

See? God is really plain in His word that He changes us, we don't change ourselves for Him.

But, God is a gentleman; He won't force Himself upon us. He wants a love-relationship with us and so He waits for us to agree to His transforming work in us. There is no love to be had in a relationship where God simply makes puppets out of us, compelling us to do as He wishes. And so, we must agree to God going to work on us, altering our desires, thinking and conduct. We do this by submitting to God throughout each day, presenting ourselves to Him as "living sacrifices," and humbling ourselves constantly under His mighty hand. This is the core of what it is to "walk in the Spirit" which Paul the apostle wrote was the key to "not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh." (Galatians 5:16)

James 4:6-7
6 But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, "GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE."
7 Submit therefore to God...

James 4:10
10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

Romans 6:13
13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

Romans 12:1
1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

1 Peter 5:5-6
5 ...GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,

So, God wants us to submit to Him, to humble ourselves under His will and way and look to Him, to His Spirit, to supply to us both direction and the power to be who he (God) wants us to be. The "work" we do as Christians, then, first and foremost, is to submit ourselves to God at every crossroads of temptation and season of trouble and to STAY submitted. For a biblical example of what this looks like, read the account of Jesus in Gethsemane just before Judas arrived with his thugs to betray him. (Luke 22:41-44; Mark 14:32-36; Matthew 26:36-39) The Great Battle of the Christian life isn't against ourselves, or the Devil, or the world, but to remain always yielded to God as a living sacrifice. We can only resist these enemies of our souls successfully when we are under God's authority, surrendered to His will and way.

You said it yourself; God helps those who help themselves. If you do nothing, and just expect God to take care of everything; you will be disappointed. God will give you the strength; but you have the final responsibility in your own life.
The key is repentance, which is NOT the same as penance, you know, making it up for your past mistakes as most people thought, but a change of mind, in a fancy term, "paradigm shift". What's previously a pleasure to you must become an abomination, what's previously an abomination to you must become a pleasure. Whatever you're addicted to, as long as it's still a pleasure to you, as long as it's still a stronghold in your mind and you're resisting it with your willpower, you'll fail, you're doomed to relapse and stuck in a vicious cycle. You cannot "help" yourself with this paradigm shift, you know, no amount of hard data or cautionary tales can really change your mind, only God can, you have to surrender and trust in Him, especially at your weakest moments.

Will power does help. My grandfather stopped smoking cigarettes.

I'm prediabetic. I drank soda since teenager. My Nurse practitioner told me to stop drinking soda or I would be diabetic.

It was wake up call for me. I stopped drinking soda in September 2022.

Philippians chapter 4 . I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I hope this helps you.

Will power does help. My grandfather stopped smoking cigarettes.

I'm prediabetic. I drank soda since teenager. My Nurse practitioner told me to stop drinking soda or I would be diabetic.

It was wake up call for me. I stopped drinking soda in September 2022.

Philippians chapter 4 . I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I hope this helps you.
QuestionGuy, I agree with this. My father was a heavy smoker, 2-3 packs a day and he smoked Camel cigarettes without a filter. One night at the age of 50 he was struggling to get any sleep because he was bothered with a strong heartburn that he couldn't get rid of even after taking many antacids. The next day he went to the doctor and was told that he was suffering a mild heart attack. He was told that he needed to stop smoking or it would only get worse.

Well, he tried but was not able to do it. I remember noticing that he was hiding cigarettes all over the place. My thought was, who was he hiding them from for he was the one that needed to quit? Anyway exactly one year later on the same date he suffered his second heart attack and this one was much more severe. He ended up in the emergency room and while they were working on him there he said suddenly something happened and he could not move, speak, open his eyes, or anything else and he heard the nurse say, "Doctor, we lost him!" Shortly afterward he said something snapped and he was back. That event was the motivation he needed to strengthen his will power enough to stop smoking.

He lived for another eight years until he fell at work. He was an ironworker. The story we heard from his work partner was that he fell about 25' and got up and walked over to his truck. When his partner asked him if he was okay his response was, "Yeah, I just need to rest a bit." Shortly afterwards he told his partner that he didn't feel right and should probably be taken to the hospital. He never made it alive. The fall has caused a heart attack.

Last edited:
Human beings make all sorts of changes in their lives without any appeal to God for help. Of course, their very existence is His doing and they are sustained by Him at every moment; but this aside, most human beings are able to alter many things, many habits and beliefs, quite apart from a direct, conscious dependence upon God. They can overcome various addictions and psychological problems and can educate themselves, increase their skill-set, or advance their natural abilities to a high level all without appealing to God for aid in doing so.

But there is a crucial difference between change that depends upon God, upon the life and work of His Spirit, and change we manage "on our own":

1.) At the end of our effort to change on our own, we know only more of ourselves, not God.

When I work from my own human powers to change myself, I come to know only more of my own strengths and weaknesses, my own limits of power. Self-effort teaches me nothing about the power of God because such effort does not draw on His strength. As a result, Self-effort cannot deepen my knowledge of, and fellowship with, God and, in fact, does the opposite, moving me away from Him, as efforts of the flesh must always do (Romans 8:5-8; Galatians 5:17; Galatians 6:7-8, etc.).

2.) At the end of a process of change we enact without God, we often grow exhausted, collapsing into failure as a result.

As any addict can tell you, the accomplishments of self-effort in defeating addiction are...tenuous. This is why addicts admit to being perennially addicted, though they may have been without drink or drugs for decades. They sense how "sin lies at the door" when it has been kept there by self-effort. Rather than the core-level transformation God accomplishes in a person, instead of His permanent change of one's fundamental desires and beliefs, there is only a stuffing down, a repression, of addiction, a careful corralling of addictive desire within fragile boundaries that can be fairly easily upset. This is tiring, requiring a constant vigilance and effort to maintain - quite unlike the person living in God's power who "mounts up with wings as eagles," who runs without growing weary, who walks without becoming faint (Isaiah 40:31). Self-effort is finite; but in God's power, the Christian goes from strength to strength (Philippians 2:13; Philippians 4:13; Ephesians 3:16).

3.) At the end of our own efforts to improve ourselves, to effect "positive" change in ourselves, Self is glorified, not God.

One cannot extol the greatness of God when one has accomplished something in the flesh, by means of Self-effort. And God does not want praise for what has been done by fleshly power. There is nothing of Him present in the way He intends, in the work of the flesh, in the efforts of the Carnal Man, even if that effort is ostensibly "spiritual," seeking to fulfill His will. God intends that He should do it all that He might get all the glory.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31
30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,
31 so that, just as it is written, "Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Galatians 6:14-15
14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Philippians 1:6
6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:1-3
1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?
2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

And so on.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back