Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus and Sin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Bubba said:
The Impeccability of the Lord Jesus Christ
Mark 1:12-13

by John A. Kohler, III

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of the temptation of the Lord Jesus Christ was not to determine whether or not He would sin, but to demonstrate the fact that He would not and could not sin.

I agree that the purpose of the temptation of Jesus was to be used as a counterpoint vs. Adam. The three temptations match the ones offered by Satan in the Garden of Eden. Jesus shows that with the aid of the Word of God, one can successfully fight the temptations of the devil, even while using solely his human nature to fight off the devil. However, I think that this story cannot be used as evidence to show one way or the other that Jesus could have sinned or not. The purpose is to show that HE DIDN'T and WE ALSO can potentially say no to temptation. Much of the article I believe goes beyond what we can assume, such as "His omnipotence proves His impeccability", refering to Matthew 28 - this is AFTER the resurrection, and certainly, the power given (or used by) to Christ after the Resurrection differed from before. Omnipotence does not prove impeccability, nor did Jesus' human nature possess it, as He Himself notes regarding His Father's knowledge of the end of time.

Regards

Francisdesales said, "The purpose is to show that HE DIDN'T and WE ALSO can potentially say no to temptation. Much of the article I believe goes beyond what we can assume . . ."

I quite agree. Well said.

Francisdesales also said in an earlier post, "Thus, somehow, some knowledge of the divine was not accessible to Jesus the person."

I find that statement to be very honest. It necessarily must cause one to consider whether Jesus could have possibly been "100% God" (to use trinitarian language), when in reality he had his limits.

Peace in Him.
David

francisdesales said:
And Jesus was "mothered" by a human woman. Last time I took a biology class, both the mother and the father contribute to the child's makup... If neither had sin, then the child did not inherit sin.

Jesus took on the flesh of human nature. But it is not part of human nature to sin - it is our tendency to sin. When God created man, man was not created as a sinner or with sin as part of his nature.

IF sin was part of man's nature, then Jesus did not take on human nature.

Regards

If I remember correctly, the sin nature follows from the Father - not the mother.

Adam was created with a "free will" - mind you no will is totally free. As much as I "will" it to fly, alas - I do not have wings. Will has physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual limitations.

After Adam sinned, human nature is chained to sin. Human nature cannot escape for sin - apart from being "born again" through Jesus Christ and being made a new creation.

DM said:
Francisdesales also said in an earlier post, "Thus, somehow, some knowledge of the divine was not accessible to Jesus the person."

I find that statement to be very honest. It necessarily must cause one to consider whether Jesus could have possibly been "100% God" (to use trinitarian language), when in reality he had his limits.

This is something we will never fully understand in this life. The hypostatic union of man and God in the person of Jesus Christ is something that we cannot fully know about. "How much did Jesus know". The Scriptures tell us that He DID know the thoughts of others and knowledge that only God would have access to, but ALL of God's knowledge in the divine nature was necessarily hidden from revelation given to us.

I don't think this means Jesus was not divine. I just think there were some things that God doesn't want us to know yet.

Regards

We do know much about How Jesus operated in His Ministry. Let's look at John 1:32, 33: And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it aqbode upon Him. Peter referred to this experience in Acts 10:38: How God anointed Jesus ofNazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power; who went about doing good and healing all that were oppresswed of the devil; for God was with Him. His very name Christ means the anointed one.

Oh, if God's people would understand the ministry of the Holy Spirit, then they would underrstand how the Trinity functions.

May God bless, Golfjack

It amazes me how some folks are dogmatic in that mary never sinned, but will entertain the thought that Jesus could..... :-?

jgredline said:
It amazes me how some folks are dogmatic in that mary never sinned, but will entertain the thought that Jesus could..... :-?

It is amazing that some people feel the need to compare Jesus and Mary, when it is quite obvious that one is God and the other is a mere human being, created and blessed by God and is nothing without those blessings from God...

There is a noted difference between whether Mary DID sin, or whether Jesus COULD sin. We know Mary could have sinned. We are speculating on whether Jesus COULD have sinned. I personally don't think so.

Perhaps you can give insight?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back