Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Luke 6:20-26

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Luke 6:20-26 King James Version (KJV)
20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.

22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.

25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.

26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

Luke 6:20-26Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Blessings and Woes

20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said:

“Blessed are you poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

21 “Blessed are you that hunger now, for you shall be satisfied.

“Blessed are you that weep now, for you shall laugh.

22 “Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of man!23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

24 “But woe to you that are rich, for you have received your consolation.

25 “Woe to you that are full now, for you shall hunger.

“Woe to you that laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.

26 “Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.

Revised Standard Version(RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

20 If we are poor here on earth but have the Lord then we will been rich in glory.

21 Those that are hungry He is the Living Bread and will fill them. Jesus bring us an everlasting joy.

22 People hate Jesus so as a result we are going to be shown hate but God will bless us for all of this.

23 Our rewards our heavenly where they last for eternity.

24 This is talking about those who seek wealth of this world rather then God not those who have.

25 Those who think they have everything will see their need for Jesus and it maybe after judgment. Those who find happiness outside Jesus will find sorrow.

26 We are not to live for favor of men but to please the Lord.

20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.

22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.

26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

Blessings and Woes

22 “Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of man!23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

26 “Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.

Revised Standard Version(RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

20 If we are poor here on earth but have the Lord then we will been rich in glory.

21 Those that are hungry He is the Living Bread and will fill them. Jesus bring us an everlasting joy.

22 People hate Jesus so as a result we are going to be shown hate but God will bless us for all of this.

24 This is talking about those who seek wealth of this world rather then God not those who have.

25 Those who think they have everything will see their need for Jesus and it maybe after judgment. Those who find happiness outside Jesus will find sorrow.

And your life application is?

Blessings and Woes

What is your point?

Wondering

It's most often a long and arduous matter, the study of scripture.

The tendency that "every" believer has, and it's a real phenomena, is to pluck out all the scriptures they like, and to cast aside (by predictable errant forms of reasoning) or put upon others all the scriptures they don't like. It's part of why churches get divided as well.

But by patience and perseverance, the working of the Holy Spirit eventually starts to break through the crust of the flesh, regardless. And more understanding comes about.

No individual believer controls this. All are led through various and again predictable patterns that Jesus laid out.

When believers, some anyway, find out the reality of the below, it can be a bit of a shock:

"Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets."

What is being engaged above is actually a reverse of what we might consider a "reward" in the worldly senses of the term. And I've witnessed believers trying to "force" this issue to come their way as well, which is another topic altogether.

Jesus wasn't toying with our minds when He PROMISED and ASSURED this:

Matthew 10:22
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

All means exactly that. It is not a "fun" place to land, and even less so to actually "experience." It is however, a present reality. And, when entering therein, God does show His Hand upon such and upon the "whole world" in the here and now. It's proof of the reality of God, given. In a very startling way. The opposite direction of what many expect, when they only pluck out the good stuff of scripture, lather themselves with it, and ignore/eliminate the balance.

The Gold/God Standard of scripture understanding was given to us by Jesus in Matt. 4:4 and Luke 4:4, that man will live by "EVERY WORD" of God. If anyone is led to speed up their understanding, it's a great basis to place the stake in the ground. Drive it deeply. Set there and do not move that standard.

So, when reading the Luke segment in question, take all the scriptures the mind mindlessly and automatically rejects and tosses aside, and ask God, OK, HOW do THESE apply to me?

IF any thinks their mind is not in the "auto reject scripture" mode, think again.

The mind of "all" is in auto-reject mode, by our flesh/natural nature. Gal. 5:17.

It's most often a long and arduous matter, the study of scripture.

The tendency that "every" believer has, and it's a real phenomena, is to pluck out all the scriptures they like, and to cast aside (by predictable errant forms of reasoning) or put upon others all the scriptures they don't like. It's part of why churches get divided as well.

But by patience and perseverance, the working of the Holy Spirit eventually starts to break through the crust of the flesh, regardless. And more understanding comes about.

No individual believer controls this. All are led through various and again predictable patterns that Jesus laid out.

When believers, some anyway, find out the reality of the below, it can be a bit of a shock:

"Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets."

What is being engaged above is actually a reverse of what we might consider a "reward" in the worldly senses of the term. And I've witnessed believers trying to "force" this issue to come their way as well, which is another topic altogether.

Jesus wasn't toying with our minds when He PROMISED and ASSURED this:

Matthew 10:22
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

All means exactly that. It is not a "fun" place to land, and even less so to actually "experience." It is however, a present reality. And, when entering therein, God does show His Hand upon such and upon the "whole world" in the here and now. It's proof of the reality of God, given. In a very startling way. The opposite direction of what many expect, when they only pluck out the good stuff of scripture, lather themselves with it, and ignore/eliminate the balance.

The Gold/God Standard of scripture understanding was given to us by Jesus in Matt. 4:4 and Luke 4:4, that man will live by "EVERY WORD" of God. If anyone is led to speed up their understanding, it's a great basis to place the stake in the ground. Drive it deeply. Set there and do not move that standard.

So, when reading the Luke segment in question, take all the scriptures the mind mindlessly and automatically rejects and tosses aside, and ask God, OK, HOW do THESE apply to me?

IF any thinks their mind is not in the "auto reject scripture" mode, think again.

The mind of "all" is in auto-reject mode, by our flesh/natural nature. Gal. 5:17.
An excellent way to make the point of my first rule of hermeneutics; No scripture, collection of scripture, nor any passage of scripture can ever be fully or correctly understood without the light of all scripture shinning upon it/them.

An excellent way to make the point of my first rule of hermeneutics; No scripture, collection of scripture, nor any passage of scripture can ever be fully or correctly understood without the light of all scripture shinning upon it/them.

True, that. Even more true when applying "every Word" to ourselves. That's a more difficult prospect.

A most helpful "check" of our reading is to keep in mind what Jesus said in Matt. 4:4 and Luke 4:4. That we will LIVE by "Every Word" of God. Emphasis on LIVE. This will keep a reader from FEAR when encountering some of the more dire aspects of the information being conveyed.

For example, in the Greatness of God, one of the first stops along the trail is this fact or axiom of God:

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

We can easily get hung up if we stop at point one in red, and forget the second, the Promise to make also alive, the point in blue. But BOTH STOPS are required to 'accept.'

As a practical matter Paul shows us the "application" of the RED portion in Romans 7 for example where he makes this conclusion about the hard red fact above:

Romans 7:
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Principle and personal application.

And we learn things about the commandment in relationship to sin in this matter. That sin dwelling in the flesh ALWAYS resists the commandment. Even though the commandment is ordained unto LIFE, sin makes it's deceptions and, in effect, kills us. We learn in this process another hard line RED FACT. That evil is present with us. Romans 7:21. Whether we accept it or not, it's true and remains true for us all the days of our flesh. It is upon this bed of fact, of evil present with us, that we come to know our need of Gods Mercy expressed in Christ. Do we fear to hear any Word? We have no need to fear. There is death followed by LIFE.

Man will LIVE by Every Word of God.

Now, when we go back to the Luke segment, pick up all the things the mind rejects. And, ask God HOW does this apply to me, rather than tossing half of the matters aside as "inapplicable." These scriptures would be:

"But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation."
“Woe to you that are full now, for you shall hunger."
“Woe to you that laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep."
“Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets."

To get to the LIFE part with understandings requires traverse through the parts that KILL us and that bring WOE to us.

A most helpful "check" of our reading is to keep in mind what Jesus said in Matt. 4:4 and Luke 4:4. That we will LIVE by "Every Word" of God. Emphasis on LIVE. This will keep a reader from FEAR when encountering some of the more dire aspects of the information being conveyed.

For example, in the Greatness of God, one of the first stops along the trail is this fact or axiom of God:

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

We can easily get hung up if we stop at point one in red, and forget the second, the Promise to make also alive, the point in blue. But BOTH STOPS are required to 'accept.'

As a practical matter Paul shows us the "application" of the RED portion in Romans 7 for example where he makes this conclusion about the hard red fact above:

Romans 7:
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Principle and personal application.

And we learn things about the commandment in relationship to sin in this matter. That sin dwelling in the flesh ALWAYS resists the commandment. Even though the commandment is ordained unto LIFE, sin makes it's deceptions and, in effect, kills us. We learn in this process another hard line RED FACT. That evil is present with us. Romans 7:21. Whether we accept it or not, it's true and remains true for us all the days of our flesh. It is upon this bed of fact, of evil present with us, that we come to know our need of Gods Mercy expressed in Christ. Do we fear to hear any Word? We have no need to fear. There is death followed by LIFE.

Man will LIVE by Every Word of God.

Now, when we go back to the Luke segment, pick up all the things the mind rejects. And, ask God HOW does this apply to me, rather than tossing half of the matters aside as "inapplicable." These scriptures would be:

"But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation."
“Woe to you that are full now, for you shall hunger."
“Woe to you that laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep."
“Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets."

To get to the LIFE part with understandings requires traverse through the parts that KILL us and that bring WOE to us.
Great lesson!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back