Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

My children are scared of dying and heaven

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

Anytime someting comes up about dying, my children (especially my 4 year old) will get all upset. I've explained about how we'll be with God and that there is no sadness in heaven....no pain....ONLY happiness.

Tonight, the topic came up. My 4 year old asked if there would be toys in heaven. I told her that I didn't think so because we would be with God and would always be happy. Well, that started the tears flowing. I told her that I didn't think we would even remember having toys or anything like that. She finally calmed down until my 6 year old started crying saying she wanted Mr. Bear (her teddy bear she's had since she was an infant) to go to heaven with her. I told both of them that I didn't think they had to worry about that kind of stuff right now and that hopefully they would be really old before they died.

I don't want my children to fear the thought of dying or going to heaven.

How do I approach this subject with them in a way that they won't have fear? Any good books out there? I thought I remember seeing one once called something like "answers to questions kids ask about God".

?????

As much as anything, it will be fear of change that's playing on their minds. I think I would have said 'I don't know' about toys in heaven because the Bible doesn't mention them; same with pets. It's a tough one.

Jules

Heres my advice:

Tell them that noone knows if toys will be in heaven or not. But, explain that it doesn't matter, because toys will be the last thing on their minds when they see heaven.Use vivid descriptions of heaven if you can to give them a good picture of why they won't want toys. Give a similar explanation if the topic of pets going to heaven or not, etc.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back