Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Need help with homeschooling

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

Kailey's doing great with reading. That and math are the 2 things that I've really pushed. But, I feel like we're doing the same kinds of things over and over again. I know they say that repetition is the key, but I want to include more. I've been keeping up with her old Kindergarten teacher's website to see what they are doing each week. I'm having trouble understanding this lesson that they are doing:

Holiday In math, we are learning about patterns. We did action patterns and color patterns. Practice ABAB, ABB, AAB, AABB. and ABC patterns, especially using actions.

When they say ABB, would that mean that the child would repeat those same letters? Or would it be CDD? I hate stuff like this because it could be a number of options.

I was told not to buy a bunch of curriculum books for Kindergarten because they mainly learn through play. Her teacher told me to just stress the improtance of reading to her. That is downpacked. Her math is great. We've been talking about how people in different parts of the world live. We talk about how things work the say they do. She asks a question, and we learn all about what she's asking.

Any ideas on other things we can do?

I homeschooled also but mine is in highschool now. He wanted to go back so I let him. If you can find a used book list, thats the way to go. Saves you piles of money. Sometime they'll have a book fair where you can go and buy used books off of the book mobile. What I stressed was reading and math but with a young one keeping it simple is the key. Those are the two that have alot of life application though. Also what ever the childs weekness, drill them in and make it fun. Burning out is the thing to be careful of. When you start getting stressed, back off and relax, you can make your own hours. :fadein:

Thanks 4runner

Kailey is wanting to go to public school this year for 1st grade. I had her assessed by the school and she came out at an advanced 1st grade level! YAY! She's looking forward to going and hopefully 1st grade will be a lot better experience for her than kindergarten was. If things start to go downhill and I start to see a lot of negative changes in her or my other daughter (my youngest will start kindergarten this year), then I will withdraw both and homeschool again.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back