Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Open Letter to Catholics

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
G

Greetings in the matchless name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour.

Numerous threads in this forum continue to discuss very important doctrinal issues in the life of the believer: the authority of Scripture, the sufficiency of the Cross of Christ, the sinlessness of Christ, to name a few.

It is always good to discuss Scripture, and the doctrines of the Body of Christ as outlined for us in the Word of God. However, our discussions are not always good. For this, I apologize for my personal behavior, if my words would seem as accusatory in a manner that violates Eph. 4:29.

My words are to be edifying to God and to the Body of Christ - my words are to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, not to be a stumbling block to others.

I sought to engage Catholics to better understand what it is that you believe, from your own words. I will be sincere and say that I disagree with your beliefs on Mary, purgatory, the Lord's Supper, and others.

I apologize if my words were seen as combative, however, I will not apologize for defending the Word of God. My prayer is that my attitude does not get in the way of the Holy Spirit providing conviction and direction.

In closing, allow me to suggest that you too have misunderstood "Protestant" beliefs such as "Sola Scriptura" to name but one. Sola Scriptura means that all doctrine and tradition needs to be based on Scripture - yes I read other books on doctrine, I read commentaries, etc - however they must return to the Scriptures - and I must return to Scripture to confirm the teachings.

Hi Alonevoice,

Fair enough, the activity of recent treads has certainly been colourful to say the least. It would be nice to know where the folk in the road lies that separates the Protestants and Catholics on many issues. There is also common ground - no doubt about that particularly if one appeals to what can be found in broader Protestant tradition. May it not be said of us that we have a zeal for religion but that it is not enlightened.

'Bitter was the night until the break of day.' quote

alonevoice,

i thank you for the clarification. i too apologize for any times i have sounded unreasonably harsh. zeal is a wonderful thing but must be within the parameters of the Love of Christ.

with my love for sacred scripture and sacred tradition(interpretation)and my catholic/orthodox family i seek common ground with the rest of the family our separated brothers. on the things we disagree on i hope to discuss these differences with humility.
i would say with most of us(at least me) that pride has crept in with some of our comments. we saw what someone else said and thought"what does so and so think he is saying that".(eventhough it might be an insult)when i and others should try to really understand what they're saying then point out where and why we disagree with humility and love. i think it is good to also know that catholic beliefs are in the bible its all a matter of interpretation just like with all the denominations they have a different way of looking at the scriptures so they all have different interpretations but all love the bible.

we can all agree that we love Jesus, He has granted us Mercy when we dont deserve it through His passion death and resurrection He has paid the ransom to the captives. God has changed me and done so many things in my life and im on fire to share what He has done for me and those i know

Christs Peace and Blessings

I do not write this to turn this into a debate - however, I do not know what you mean by 'seperated brothers'. As a believer in Christ Jesus, I have been firmly planted in the Body of Christ - of this there is no seperation and nothing can seperate the love that Christ has for me and vice versa - though in my humanity at times that love gets misplaced on my part.

In Christ - there is no Jew, Greek, etc etc - there is no seperation between those that confess Jesus Christ as Lord as members of the Body of Christ.

aLoneVoice said:
I do not write this to turn this into a debate - however, I do not know what you mean by 'seperated brothers'. As a believer in Christ Jesus, I have been firmly planted in the Body of Christ - of this there is no seperation and nothing can seperate the love that Christ has for me and vice versa - though in my humanity at times that love gets misplaced on my part.

In Christ - there is no Jew, Greek, etc etc - there is no seperation between those that confess Jesus Christ as Lord as members of the Body of Christ.

it is a term used for the "family feud" since we are seperated on what some of scriptures says. nothing more nothing less

biblecatholic wrote:
i think it is good to also know that catholic beliefs are in the bible its all a matter of interpretation just like with all the denominations they have a different way of looking at the scriptures so they all have different interpretations but all love the bible.

Thank God that there is a correct interpretation -- God's interpretation! :biggrin

biblecatholic wrote:
we can all agree that we love Jesus, He has granted us Mercy when we dont deserve it through His passion death and resurrection He has paid the ransom to the captives. God has changed me and done so many things in my life and im on fire to share what He has done for me and those i know.

Amen! Spread the Good News!!! :biggrin

stranger said:
Hi Alonevoice,

Fair enough, the activity of recent treads has certainly been colourful to say the least. It would be nice to know where the folk in the road lies that separates the Protestants and Catholics on many issues. There is also common ground - no doubt about that particularly if one appeals to what can be found in broader Protestant tradition. May it not be said of us that we have a zeal for religion but that it is not enlightened.

'Bitter was the night until the break of day.' quote

The fork in the road is that the protestants believe the bible, the Catholics believe the pope. It's that simple.

I apologize for any unpleseantries I have made. I think we all understand that debates get heated and there are passions on both sides. Sometimes there are comments made like the one below:
The fork in the road is that the protestants believe the bible, the Catholics believe the pope. It's that simple.
And all I can say is please don't make ignorant comments. Most conversations seem to be well intentioned debates and I understand that those on both sides are only doing what they think is right. Of course only one side can be right but we must continue to discuss and always seek the truth. I keep you all in my prayers.

Heidi said:

Catholics believe the bible is the infallible word of God. Catholics don't believe everything the pope says is the infallible word of God. Just like everything that Paul says wasn't inspired.

stray bullet said:
Catholics believe the bible is the infallible word of God. Catholics don't believe everything the pope says is the infallible word of God. Just like everything that Paul says wasn't inspired.

Once again I must say "Huh"?

What do you mean, and provide evidence, that "everything that Paul says wasn't inspired."

aLoneVoice said:
Once again I must say "Huh"?

What do you mean, and provide evidence, that "everything that Paul says wasn't inspired."

Isn't that common sense? We don't have every word Paul said in his entire life. Only what is compiled in the Bible. Immediately after his conversion experience, Paul went to Antioch for a year, correct? He didn't write a thing. He must have said something, though. Was every word he said inspired by God?

We don't believe that every word from the Pope is "inspired" by God, either. Only when he speaks on faith and morals when executing his role as the shepherd of the entire Church is he protected by God.

Regards

Back