Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Prayer for my marriage

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
W

w33z3rswtr

Hi, I am new to this forum, but am in desperate need of prayer for my husband and marriage. Just a quick background, we've dated for 12 years, since i was 13 and he was 15. We have been married for 7 years. Up until the last year, my husband has been a christian. He decided he was an atheist. Since then a lot of things have happened in our lives, but most recently he has stated that he is not content being married. he wants to be able to be single and do his own thing. Not having to worry about pleasing me etc. He told me he wants a separation and the plan is for October. I do not want this, but I can not control him. I am afraid that we will end up in a divorce, which I really don't want. I love my husband very much and and devastated by the idea of loosing him and our marriage. We are seeing a counselor and he does want to continue seeing the counselor once we officially separate.

all prayer is welcomed and any advice or counsel would be great too! I am kind of alone where I live, christian wise and could use Godly advice.

I am so sorry to hear of your situation. The only advice I can give is to hang in there. I saw this happen to a couple I knew well. It was very sad. The man was in my brother dorm at christian summer camp as a teenager and he married a friend of mine. Both were lovely people. He became a christian at 15/16 but a few years ago he decided to throw away his faith. His marriage collapsed and his wife is now remarried to another christian.

It was a real tragedy. I can only offer my prayers.

No matter what you face in this, God is big enough to get you through it. Don't give up.

PS. My mother survived a divorce from a non-christian (my father.) It can be done. (Without destroying your faith or your childrens.) God won't give us a trial that will ruin us. Just stay close to him and let him be your strength through this period.

My marriage is on the rocks too.

I found Christ about 2 years ago. Since then my wife (who is buddhist) has grown to resent me. She has openly told me in that time that she doesnt love me anymore.

We have 2 beautiful young children who we both love deeply. I dont think theres much chance of a divorce but the tension around the house is very uncomfortable.

I have become a new creature since my coming to Christ.

1) I'm not money orientated anymore
2) My libido has gone right down
3) I spend a lot of time thinking about Jesus. A lot of time on forums talking to Christians.
4) I'm not concerned with my looks or other material things anymore
5) I dont watch TV anymore and look at the world in a whole new way.
6) I gave up drink and drugs completely which I guess has made me less "fun" in her eyes.

My wife::

1) Is obsessed with her looks (she literally checks herself in the mirror 100 times a day)
2) Is totally money driven.
3) Has very little interest in her faith. Spends no time on it at all apart from maybe a monthly visit to her local temple
4) Acts extremely jealously when I express my love for Jesus or my brethren in Christ.
5) Reads a lot of fasion magazines. Watches a lot of mainstream "cheesy" TV etc

The list could go on and on....

Doesnt it say somewhere in the Bible that a mans worst enemy will come from within his own household??

I truly think that Satan is working hard through my wife to try and distract me from my Bible studies.

She gets angry or agrivated with me over the smallest things.

Hello w33z3rswtr,

I pray that the Lord will comfort you during this time, as it is clearly weighing heavily upon your shoulders. I also will pray that he will enlighten you and impress upon your heart what you should do.

From the little bit of information you have given, it sounds like your husband was never really a Christian. It sounds like he has been planning to break up for some time now since he has a specific planned time-frame of where he wants to be, and unfortunately I suspect, who he wants to be with. It also sounds like he is saying he is an atheist to justify breaking up, again another reason to suspect that he was never a Christian to begin with. (I say this from personal experience.)

Now since you do not mention it, I have to ask. Are you a Christian? Do you live a Christian lifestyle? There are many people in this world who call themselves Christians but do not live as a Christian would. Sure they may go to church and say grace at the Sunday meal, for example, but they do it for appearances or because it is what is expected of them.

So when I ask "Are you a Christian?", I am asking have you personally accepted Jesus as your Savior? Have you been "Born Again"? Do you, on faith, put your life in Jesus' hands and go where He leads you without the concerns of this earthly world, with an attitude of "Let His will be done"?

If not, then I believe the Lord may be trying to lead you to Him.

If you are a true Christian, then you will know that what I say comes from the Bible and not from me.

I think you can agree that when a married couple believes in the same things they get along rather well. Paul suggested that believers should marry other believers to avoid any major problems in a marriage. In 2 Corinthians Paul was trying to show that believers and unbelievers was not a good match. I will quote it here to show you:

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial ? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
(2 Corinthians 6:14-15 NIV)

So if you married an unbeliever, well there is part of the problem. Is your husband an unbeliever? I cannot answer that. You know him better than anyone. Jesus tells us in the Bible that He would not lose a single one that His Father gave to him. So if your husband is really an unbeliever, then he was never saved in the first place and was not a Christian. This unfortunately is quite common.

Do not be afraid that God will look with disfavor upon you if you get a divorce, because the Bible says that a believer is not bound to an unbeliver. Again I will use Paul and quote the scripture here:

But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.
(1 Corinthians 7:15 NIV)

I will pray for your husband and for your marriage that God will help you and bestow His blessing upon you both. I pray that you will lean on Jesus, as His will is done, with courage and faith.

Also, if it is not to personal, please let us know in the future if you are alright. All of us Christians here care for you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back