Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Romans Seven Riches

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

netchaplain

The only way our Father could righteously deal with the corrupt fallen Adamic race was by closing its history in death. The race—that order of man—will not do for God; and the death of the Lord Jesus is the great act of righteousness in which that race has been judicially brought to an end before God, in order that we might be brought into blessed life and liberty in connection with another Head—Jesus Christ, the risen and glorified One.

But we should have a poor and shallow idea of the meaning of this great transfer from Adam to the Lord Jesus if we only learned it as a doctrine, vital as it is. Hence it is necessary that we should learn its importance and blessedness from our own experience. Therefore we may be sure that no person has really understood what it is to be “in Christ,” or known the liberty which “the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus” confers, if he has not passed in some way through the exercises which are detailed for us in Romans Seven.

As soon as one is born again there is a desire to be holy and to live to the Father, and there are more or less earnest efforts to live up to one’s own light. It may be that the soul sets itself to keep the Ten Commandments; or tries to follow in the footsteps of Jesus and walk as He walked; or attempts to carry out the divine instructions set forth in the Christian epistles. The more intelligence of divine things that one has, the higher the standard will be to which he will seek to attain. But however sincere the desire, and however perfect and exalted the standard, the result is total failure.

He finds a law that, when he would do good, evil is present with him; and though he delights in the law of God after the inward man, he sees another law in his members, warring against the law of his mind and bringing him into captivity to the law of sin which is in his members (Rom 7:21-23). He knows the evil that is in him; he is most anxious to subdue it, but finds that he has no power. This reduces him to a state in which he can only cry, “O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from this body of death?” He ceases to attempt, or to look for self- improvement. He gives himself up—that is, as a man in the flesh—as being a “body of death,” and he looks for a complete deliverance out of that order of life in which he finds himself bound.

Romans Eight supplies us with a perfect answer to all these painful, but most necessary exercises. If we have passed through the different stages of dissatisfaction, disgust, and despair as to ourselves, we are ready to welcome the infinite grace that gives us title to take our place on the new ground that we are “in Christ Jesus.” We are thankful to see that His death is the judicial end of our history as children of Adam; and to know that we are now entitled, and have the power of the Holy Spirit, to reckon ourselves dead to sin, and alive unto God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:1 gives us the new position; verse 3 shows us the righteous ground on which our Father could set us in it; and verse 2 indicates the power by which alone we can take, or hold it. It is not the power of a firm resolve, or even of a fervent prayer, but the power of the Holy Spirit. Verse 9 tells us that “ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so that the Spirit of God dwell in you.” The presence of the Holy Spirit is that which gives character to our new position as Christians. The one who is “in the Spirit” can say, “The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death” (v 2).

- C A Coates

I feel tugs in my heart by the Holy Spirit to be holy. But I am sensitive to the fact that I am sinful and I often feel condemnation. I have read much of the Bible, but I am careful to what I obey because I know God will hold me accountable. But I am not trying to be someone that I am not... So, it is kind of hard for me to intertwine living for Christ and being who I really am. If that makes any sense. However, though I may not be a die-hard Bible Christian, it is within my heart to love others- no matter how they may bless me or hurt me. It is also within my heart to be compassionate to others, even those who say rude things or give me dirty looks, etc. This post has reminded me to honor the Holy Spirit, and keep the hope in my heart that I will continue to grow into the person Jesus wants me to be.

I feel tugs in my heart by the Holy Spirit to be holy. But I am sensitive to the fact that I am sinful and I often feel condemnation. I have read much of the Bible, but I am careful to what I obey because I know God will hold me accountable. But I am not trying to be someone that I am not... So, it is kind of hard for me to intertwine living for Christ and being who I really am. If that makes any sense. However, though I may not be a die-hard Bible Christian, it is within my heart to love others- no matter how they may bless me or hurt me. It is also within my heart to be compassionate to others, even those who say rude things or give me dirty looks, etc. This post has reminded me to honor the Holy Spirit, and keep the hope in my heart that I will continue to grow into the person Jesus wants me to be.

I'm reminded by what you say of 1 John 3.3:

'And every one that hath this hope in him, purifieth himself, even as he is pure'.

We live in a world uplifts the human spirit. The human spirit is a very powerful thing. We can overcome a lot with our human spirit, but only when we are full of the Holy Spirit can we truly be everything the Lord has called us to be. Our own righteousness is but filthy rags before a Holy God. Only when we are filled with the Holy Spirit can we truly be holy and in right standing before the Lord. Only then can we truly overcome the consequences of sin and death and realize our true potential to serve Him.

"I feel tugs in my heart by the Holy Spirit to be holy. But I am sensitive to the fact that I am sinful and I often feel condemnation."

"it is within my heart to love others- no matter how they may bless me or hurt me."

"This post has reminded me to honor the Holy Spirit, and keep the hope in my heart that I will continue to grow into the person Jesus wants me to be."

Hi Angel - Your reply reflects more maturity than a superficial observation would reveal because the desire for holiness and the knowledge and awareness of the "indwelling sin" (Rom 7:17, 20) are two of the primary growth truths believers are to not only know but also of which be mindful.

The significance concerning the sinfulness of a believer is not in the sinning but in the sinful nature, which is the "old man," and I believe its ongoing presence within in the believer has the same purpose as why it's there to begin with, to learn of God's holiness and glorify Him through it.

"Being holy" (1 Per 1:16) means being "separate" (Heb 7:26) from the Adamic nature (old man), which is where the Lord Jesus has permanently (Rom 11:19) placed us at the time of regeneration (rebirth). It is a misunderstanding to conceive that holiness means not sinning, but rather means believing God considers us holy in Christ even while still possessing and being affected by the "old man." Sinning in the believer's life is always "unwillfill" (Heb 10:26), as a captive against his will (Rom 7:23), due to being in possession of the sin nature (v 14).

Such is the strengthening of faith, to believe God's Word that "He made us accepted in the Beloved (Jesus) while we are bearing the source of our sin. Belief in this acceptance clears us of ever being fearful again of "condemnation" (Rom 8:1). The believer is to walk in reliance solely on Christ's work of justification and the evidence of this being absent results solely from self-reliance.

I find that viewing faith as a "rest" (Heb 3:18) instead of a work keeps me mindful that we are not the producers, but the "bearers" (John 15:8), who trust (rest) in the all-providing (2 Pet 1:3) work of Christ.

It's normal for the unlearned to conceive of a debt to God for salvation, but the confusion is from not realizing it is not something to be repaid (which is an impossibility), it being a gift; but rather something to be grateful about, in believing it is provided, not requiring repayment.

"Being holy" (1 Per 1:16) means being "separate" (Heb 7:26) from the Adamic nature (old man), which is where the Lord Jesus has permanently (Rom 11:19) placed us at the time of regeneration (rebirth). It is a misunderstanding to conceive that holiness means not sinning, but rather means believing God considers us holy in Christ even while still possessing and being affected by the "old man." Sinning in the believer's life is always "unwillfill" (Heb 10:26), as a captive against his will (Rom 7:23), due to being in possession of the sin nature (v 14).

How does one be separate from the "adamic nature"?

I have believed the misunderstanding that holiness means not sinning, which is why I feel condemned.

Thank you for your words.

I have believed the misunderstanding that holiness means not sinning, which is why I feel condemned.

I'm thankful to be of use and appreciate your question concerning the Adamic nature. When we are born again, our sinful nature (old man or Adamic nature) is "crucified" with Christ" (Rom 6:6) and is restrained from ever ruling us again (Rom 6:12, 14).

Thus, we ourselves (the person, not just the nature) are also crucified with Christ (Gal 2:20) rendering us "dead to sin" (Rom 6:2, 11). This is not to mistake the crucifixion of the old man as its death. Though "ye are dead (to sin and the sin nature), and your life is hid with Christ in God" (Col 3:3), the old nature is not dead to you, just restrained on the Cross (Gal 5:17). If the old man were dead, the Spirit would not need to oppose it and Paul wouldn't have identified it (Rom 7:14-25).

God's blessings to your Family!

John's First Epistle says, 'I write unto you that ye sin not. And if we sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.' (1 John 2.1)

Hebrews 7.25 speaks of One Who 'ever lives to make intercession' for those for whom He purchased by His blood at the Cross.

Unlike the unbeliever, however, who may sin without a twinge of conscience, the believer's conscience is enlightened so that s/he may seek to walk in a pleasing way to our Lord and Master, whose blood covers our sin, and for Whom we take up our crosses daily.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back