Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

self-righteous hypocrites, freedom

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I think modern society is full of them. What's odd, I guess, is how we're supposedly a "tolerant" society, gay affirming, all that...

...and yet, self-righteous hypocrisy abounds. Poor people? Get a job! Felons? Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Lock 'em up and throw away the key! Former junkies? Shouldn't have done so many drugs, loser.

See what I'm saying? And what's strange is that as we go from being guided by Christian norms (not that we were *Christian* as a society, just that Christian concepts guided things more than now) to...I dunno what you call this...secular humanism, lots of psychobabble in place of Judeo-Christian concepts, we're growing more intolerant by the day.

The US locks up more people per capita than any other developed country, except I think maybe Russia. We even beat out some poorer nations. Part of the problem is/was "tough on crime" sentencing initiatives that keep people in prison (especially at the Federal Level) for long, long times, costing tons of money and making it hard to rehabilitate and reintegrate ex-offenders.

We have lots of mental hospitals. Mentally ill people don't generally go to state mental hospitals anymore--group homes, jail, prison, the streets--but lots of people end up committed, one way or another. I know, its "therapeutic." Right. Mental health stigma follows you forever, everywhere you go. Dr.Thomas Szasz calls being a mental patient "psychiatric slavery," and I tend to agree (in most cases). Also: the concept of "cruel compassion." "Oh, its just that your brain and/or personality is defective. Poor thing. More Seroquel?"

See what I'm saying? Its like, we're less free now in important ways than we were a generation or two ago. Millions of people in the criminal justice system, millions of people in the mental health system, no time for leisure or family because of work, lots of people can't even retire...

...but we have new freedoms. Easy divorce. Abortion. Gay "marriage". Promiscuity.

And the self-righteous hypocrites abound, fueled by a distinctly American, hyperindividualistic worldview. We have no sense of the common good anymore. Its all me and mine.

Ramble ramble. Comment if you want to, lol.

it's all about money (in the usa and churches). ramble, or specific, pointed, concise, or wide blanket - the whole society is evil and wicked and the churches are naked and destitute and fallen and sinning and not at all (practically) living the way the disciples in the New Testament (or Old, for that matter) did/do - as in OBEY YHWH, do as He says (actively speaking and alive, as His Word says over and over - He is the God of the Living ! and of course He Is Alive! )

it's(all society/churches/governments/politics/medical/education/etc etc etc ) been all bout money for longer than anyone alive can remember.... since before judas the betrayer, since before the profane esau ... ... ...

and it's "exactly like" the days of Noah (and s.d.m and gmrrh if you will).... wickedness fills the earth.... now, today, and the remnant is hidden under the wings of Yhwh, even though many will still be martyred for their faith.... then the end will be.

Revelation 6:9-11King James Version (KJV)9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

I think one of the best statements I've ever heard is: "Most people are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." (Abe Lincoln, I believe)

...but we have new freedoms. Easy divorce. Abortion. Gay "marriage". Promiscuity.
And the self-righteous hypocrites abound, fueled by a distinctly American, hyperindividualistic worldview. We have no sense of the common good anymore. Its all me and mine.
Ramble ramble. Comment if you want to, lol.
Increasing, even abounding, astonishing world of sin today more than we've ever known before.

Resources used to increase greed, increase planned sin, increase control over the poor... bad bad bad ....

Is there positive ? How's that song go ? "Where is honesty?"

Part of the problem is/was "tough on crime" sentencing initiatives that keep people in prison (especially at the Federal Level) for long, long times, costing tons of money and making it hard to rehabilitate and reintegrate ex-offenders.
"Part of the problem" or "part of the solution". One must compare the consequences of having less people in prison/mental institutions with the consequences of having more criminals/whatever on the street.

Look at the recidivism rates: Each year, more than 600,000 individuals are released from state and federal prisons. Another nine million are released from local jails. Within three years of their release, two out of three former prisoners are rearrested and more than 50% are incarcerated again.

Back