Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Significance of Breath in blood

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Veritas

Well, something just hit me the other night while I was listening to a Bible study on TV. It has to do with the Holy Spirit and Jesus. I did some research in Strongs and found some really interesting things. Hopefully, I'm not going off on a heritical tangent because this seems interesting:

In modern times, we now know that blood is what carries oxygen (also our breath) throughout our body so we can live.

What amazed me first is that this was somehow known in Leviticus!

For the "nephesh" of the flesh is in the blood: (nephesh is Hebrew for "breathing") and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your "nephesh": for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the "nephesh". Leviticus 17:11 (and nephesh is used to describe the spirit/soul in us)

Breath is used to refer to The Holy Spirit in a similar way.

And the "Ruwach" of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

"Ruwach" means Breath, or Wind, in addition to Spirit

Theoretically , we could also call Him: Holy Breath.

Another side note: think about what a word is: A breath with meaning. And who was around in the beginning too? The Word.

So, continuing on, we find that:

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living "nephesh". Genesis 2:7

Interesting huh? God gave Adam His Spirit, His Breath, and this also gave Adam life. But, as we know, it ended up being taken away in part,

And the LORD said, My "Ruwach" shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. Genesis 6:3

I think its really interesting how God's Spirit, our life, our breathing, our spirit, our soul are all intertwined.

Now we get to Jesus.

He had the full measure of God's Spirit.

Where was the Spirit?

Well, we know from Leviticus 17:11 that the Spirit was in his blood! When Jesus died he poured his blood out. As that blood poured out, in a very real way His life and the Spirit went with it. And now the Spirit is no longer restricted. We have a full measure because of Christ Jesus!

Craig, very interesting post. I am going read it again when I have more time. The Lord bless you.

This is great work Veritas.

Now we get to Jesus.

He had the full measure of God's Spirit.

And that full measure was clued to us in:
Isaiah 11:2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

And now the Spirit is no longer restricted. We have a full measure because of Christ Jesus!
I don’t think the spirit was ever restricted specifically for us even in the OT by God. The spirit was given in the measure of how obedient one was to God’s commands. It is us humans who restrict ourselves from being opened up to the full measure of the spirit with our disobedience. Yashuah was fully obedient to God, hence God trusted Him with the fullness of His spirit. The result of obtaining the fullness of God’s spirit is seen in resurrection. Yashuah declared that He is the resurrection, knowing full well that He could defeat and overcome death with the fullness of God’s spirit dwelling in Him.

Good post and very interesting indeed.

Thanks for fleshing that out TanNinety. I think what you said about the "restriction of the Spirit" is important to convey. I kind of lost steam about the ressurrection as well. Obedience to God in the OT, and Jesus' obedience to God does add another layer.

Any additional thoughts on how the Spirit moved right before and after the resurrection?

From http://Nooma.com (Order 3 and shipping is free, which is a better deal than purchasing one or two and paying shipping)
I'd recomend
1. Breathe
2. Lump
3. Rich

From Breathe, click on the link and watch the trailer.

Rob Bell said:
With everything that we’ve got going on every day, how many of us ever think about our breathing, about the meaning of breathing? Yet, for thousands of years, people have understood that our physical breath is a picture of a deeper spiritual reality. In the Bible, the word for “breath†is the same as the word for “spirit.†There’s an inherent dilemma at the core of what makes us human. We’ve all been created in the image of God and possess immense power and strength. And at the same time our lives are incredibly vulnerable and fragile. Maybe if we had more insight into the meaning of breathing, we would better understand how God created us as human beings.

YHVH

Yod
Heh
Vod
Heh

Kinda sounds like breathing huh? :wink: BTW, nooma = pneuma = spirit :biggrin

Amazing, more layers....

For those of you who don't know what StoveBolts is talking about, YHVH is the personal name for God in Hebrew. In our English Bibles YHVH is usually translated as LORD.

I'm assumming that

Yod... Heh... Vod... Heh...

is how you pronounce the Hebrew Letters

Which does sound like breathing.

What a way to meditate on the LORD! In every breath :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back