Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

So, is it impossible to backslide...?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

cyberjosh

I'm not going to say alot here, because people I'm sure will have plenty to say, but the way some people believe the Christian's life is supposed to play out it seems to believe that the believer will infallibly persevere through any trial and that any one who "backslides" was infact never God's child to begin with because their "fruit" is not showing.

So under what conditions do we say a Christian can (unfortunately) sin or resist God's will? To what extent?

As for me, I know that backsliding is possible, as I have done it before in my early teens - from which God delivered me mightily, though by my "fruits" one might have called me an unbeliever at that time (which would have been false - though mostly warranted because of my behavior). But you can believe what you want, so I thought I'd ask for peoples opinions.

God Bless,

~Josh

Atonement said:
Yes it's possible to backslide

Ok, progressing the discussion a little bit: what do you believes causes it?

I personally believe that it happens by setting aside the grace of God to pursue the lusts of the flesh for a time - which greives the Holy Spirit. Also consequently, that indulgence in sin hardens the heart the more you indulge in it (Hebrews 3:13).

P.S. What happened for me was wholely a miracle, rather than my own doing. After a long while the things I was doing just one day suddenly turned sour in my stomach and I chose not to ignore it and I ran away from those things, realizing how wicked it was - what I was engaging in. Only God could have pulled me out of the state my hardened heart had found itself in. But I thank God for his mercy on the issue.

God Bless,

~Josh

what do you believes causes it?

SIN..

When someone is overcome by sin and will-fully sins on his own accord. That person must repent of their sin, if not I believe they are backsliden (back in sin).

cybershark5886 said:
Ok, progressing the discussion a little bit: what do you believes causes it?

I personally believe that it happens by setting aside the grace of God to pursue the lusts of the flesh for a time - which greives the Holy Spirit. Also consequently, that indulgence in sin hardens the heart the more you indulge in it (Hebrews 3:13).

P.S. What happened for me was wholely a miracle, rather than my own doing. After a long while the things I was doing just one day suddenly turned sour in my stomach and I chose not to ignore it and I ran away from those things, realizing how wicked it was - what I was engaging in. Only God could have pulled me out of the state my hardened heart had found itself in. But I thank God for his mercy on the issue.

God Bless,

~Josh
I believe the Bible teaches that when a person backslides, it is so much harder to get back to where you once were. My sister who was the one that faithfully prayed and fasted for me at one time, backslid, and is now paying the price for it. Although she knows that God has never left her, but it was the other way around, she is struggling in every aspect of her life right now. She still crys out to him and prays to him, but she has in no way gotten back to the way she once was, she was a prayer warrior, and loved the lord like you would not believe!

At what point does a backslidden Born Again Believer lose the SALVATION that GOD provided through the DEATH and RESURRECTION of His SON JESUS CHRIST?

Why does a BELIEVER LOSE HIS SALVATION if JESUS CHRIST paid for ALL SINS OF ALL BELIEVERS FOR ETERNITY?

The question of backsliding depends a lot on the definition of backsliding. I believe a Christian can come under chastening. The chastening of the Christian who backslides can be so severe that God will bring about a premature death.

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, as unto babes in Christ.
Notice the carnal are still "in Christ." 1Cor 11 tells us what the carnality was about.

1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that divisions exist among you; and I partly believe it.
1Co 11:19 For there must be also factions among you, that they that are approved may be made manifest among you.
The carnality resulted in divisions, factions, a party spirit. However, in the process of the divisions and factions, the approved people appeared. To those causing the factions (especially during the communion service) there was Gods chastening.
1Co 11:30 For this cause many among you are weak and sickly, and not a few sleep.
1Co 11:31 But if we discerned ourselves, we should not be judged.
1Co 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

Because people did not judge themselves and their method of communion (the divisive spirit) they were judged by God. The effects of this judgment is found in verse 30, some were sick, and some died. If you will excuse the pun, God is deadly serious about sin. He is so serious that he killed off some of the Corinthians. Yet notice verse 32. These Corinthians sinners were killed in chastening so that they would not be condemned with the world. For we who are "in Chrst" there is therefore now no condemnation (but there is judgement and chastening).

Hebrews 12 says that God chastens a son, and if we experience chastening, we know he deals with us as sons.

Are there carnal Christians? Are they backslidden Christians? Yes, there are! But a backslidden Christian is still a christian. He will not be condemned with the world, and is still in Christ. God will prune him until he bears fruit, or he will bring about the carnal christians death so that he will not be condemned with the world.

Solo said:
At what point does a backslidden Born Again Believer lose the SALVATION that GOD provided through the DEATH and RESURRECTION of His SON JESUS CHRIST?

Why does a BELIEVER LOSE HIS SALVATION if JESUS CHRIST paid for ALL SINS OF ALL BELIEVERS FOR ETERNITY?
They won't lose their salvation, but I believe that they can be turned over for the destruction of their body so that their soul might be saved (a premature death)

sisterchristian said:
They won't lose their salvation, but I believe that they can be turned over for the destruction of their body so that their soul might be saved (a premature death)
You are Exactly Right! Great Answer!

To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Corinthians 5:5

1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Potluck said:
1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
And the truth just keeps on coming!!!! :smt024 :smt023

Potluck said:

I believe this is speaking of a person who loves God and is walking in the ways that Jesus taught, but is teaching some error that is contrary to the truth. Their entire ministry of error will be burnt up and they will not receive a reward for service that they did. They will not be condemned for being deceived by the erroneous teaching that they did if they did it ignorantly in believing it to be truth. I.e. Saul/Paul who persecuted Christ’s followers believing that they were enemies of God. If he had continued to persecute Christians after the incident on the Damascus road, he would have not been doing it ignorantly in unbelief but having learned the truth, turned from it. Then he would have been held accountable.

Backsliding, I believe is falling back into sin or committing a sin after having begun with the Lord. A person who does this can repent and be forgiven because of the blood of Christ but they must repent. Even if they do repent, in some cases, God may still choose to punish them with illness, personal loss and hardships or even death. I.e. David lost his child by Bathsheba, even though he repented. Paul said there was a sin unto death that could not even be prayed for.

Solo said:

The Scriptures tell us that we must have faith. Today. Not 20 years ago.

How is a "backslider" a believer today?

Can that faith save? (cf James 2:14)

The Bible doesn't think so. You do...

Regards

francisdesales said:
The Scriptures tell us that we must have faith. Today. Not 20 years ago.

How is a "backslider" a believer today?

Can that faith save? (cf James 2:14)

The Bible doesn't think so. You do...

Regards

And what faith is "that faith?"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back