Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sports: Why God is Against It

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Dalen Naskiel said:
I'll get my divine spells prepared and we can start burning down football fields at your command JayT :)
Luke 6:46 "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say ?"

I was just joking JayT, I wouldn't burn down a football field :)

Jay T said:
vinc said:
Jay T : Did God say anywhere that He does not like Sports?
As I've said before.....the basic principle of sports is to triumph over another person. To prove ones superior power over another,
A totally anti-christian principle.

The principle of Christianity is to lift another person over yourself, being a servant to someone else.
Helping them be a better person, thru ones self-sacrifice in helping them acheive that goal.
As far as i know God, i think He would not be against any Sports as long as Sports does not come in between our personal relationship with God. If Sports comes in between us and God then the problem is with us and not with the Sports.
Had one studied their Bible, one could easily see that satanic principles are always to place one self above another......
14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! [how] art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

I agree with your viewpoint that sometimes the principle of Sports can prove to be quite Anti-Christian principle. Such dangers are there in every area brother. Each one needs to judge and self-examine himself in this regard.

I will wholeheartedly agree with the wonderful words that you have written conveying the Christian Principle -

The principle of Christianity is to lift another person over yourself, being a servant to someone else.

Helping them be a better person, thru ones self-sacrifice in helping them acheive that goal.

But, i still think that it is possible for one to exhibit the Christian Principles in the area of Sports too. He can help his Team Members unselfishly to achieve their goal.

IMO May the Best Player win or May the Best Team win ought to be the motto and even if one loses one ought to take it in a Sportive way. Accepting defeat in a gracious manner is also a Christian principle and so people who lose in Sports have really nothing much to lose. It is not a war between the 2 Players or Teams but a friendly match to improve themselves in their abilities and also to provide entertainment to the audience who are interested to watch them play.

Courtney Walsh, the West Indian Cricketer, was appreciated more than once for being a Sportive person on the field.

I will agree with the Bible verses which you have posted and which reminds us not to place oneself over the other. I shall add one more verse which i remembered in line with your statement.

Romans 12:10 - Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

IMO May the Best Player win or May the Best Team win ought to be the motto and even if one loses one ought to take it in a Sportive way. Accepting defeat in a gracious manner is also a Christian principle and so people who lose in Sports have really nothing much to lose. It is not a war between the 2 Players or Teams but a friendly match to improve themselves in their abilities and also to provide entertainment to the audience who are interested to watch them play.

Ditto. I think it all depends on perspective, and priorities.
-McQ 8-)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back