Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Leap

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Josef

Hey All,
I have been thinking about how to prove, at least the possibility, that God exists without using the Bible. I just finished an essay on the subject. Please read it, and I will have a little more to say at the PS. (This so I don't ruin the continuity of the essay.)

The Leap
Where in the world would we be without science?
How much of our lives have been effected by someone in the past, who, in some cases we don't even know, had an idea that there was a better way to do something?
Mankind has gone from just walking the earth, to driving on the Moon. We have gone from shouting, to cell phones, from rubbing two sticks together, to nuclear fusion, from just seeing with the naked eye, to, using an electron microscope, seeing the atom, or a satellite telescope to see the cosmos. Now we are even unlocking the DNA molecule, and seeing the mind boggling complexity of just one cell in the human body.

All of these comforts and knowledge of modern life, exist because someone said, "I can make what is known now better, faster, louder etc.: I can take what exists only in my mind, and make it a physical reality."
In some cases, we call the inventor the father of the object or idea. For example, Hippocrates is considered the father of modern medicine. The inventors, the scientists had no physical concrete proof there was a better way; but believed there was, and looked anyway. Through all of this we can acknowledge a fundamental truth. Mankind can create. We can create. We create from the material. Which begs the question:

If we can create from the material, is there an immaterial force, or being, that can create material from the immaterial?

Do we not then owe it to ourselves to at least look for for the creator, the Father, of us? The only thing you need to do is look with an open heart.

"But I don't know how to open my heart."

You don't have to.

Here's the leap:
Ask, "Creator, Father, God (whichever title you choose), please open my heart. I am looking."

If what was written here makes sense to you, take the leap, and look.

PS:
I am writing my sign off here to keep the essay intact.
If you are not a believer reading this, please consider what I wrote, and take the leap.

If you are a believer, and you believe it might help someone, feel free to download it, print it, or use it in any media you choose. All I ask is for the essay to be left anonymous.

All glory goes to God. Amen.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

PPS: Question for the moderator(s):
I know respondents in this forum are only allowed to address the OP. I am placing it here because this is the forum to which an unbeliever most likely will come. As the author of the OP, am I allowed to respond directly to the respondent to answer any questions? I do not want to violate the rules.

how to prove, at least the possibility, that God exists without using the Bible.
As an essay it is good, as for proving or demonstrating that there is a God it is, in my opinion to complicated.

If someone does not believe in God, ask them to provide scientific evidence of how the universe began.

As Maria sings in the Sound of Music, " Nothing comes from nothing! "
So why is there something?

Question for the moderator(s):
I know respondents in this forum are only allowed to address the OP. I am placing it here because this is the forum to which an unbeliever most likely will come. As the author of the OP, am I allowed to respond directly to the respondent to answer any questions? I do not want to violate the rules.
I was going to reply via PM but this may benefit others.

The forum rules are posted in the sticky titled "Forum Rules and Guidelines" at the top of this forum.

The answer to your question, yes, the OP (Original Poster) is allowed to ask for more clarification from the respondents.

Hey All,
I have been thinking about how to prove, at least the possibility, that God exists without using the Bible. I just finished an essay on the subject. Please read it, and I will have a little more to say at the PS. (This so I don't ruin the continuity of the essay.)

"Prove" is a...difficult word. Not to spell, of course, but to actually do - especially with perfect certainty. Philosophers and scientists recognize this and will often use more modest language in assertion of their claims. It might be better, then, to emphasize the "possibility" of God rather than to set out to "prove" He (possibly) exists.

The Leap
How much of our lives have been effected by someone in the past, who, in some cases we don't even know, had an idea that there was a better way to do something?
Mankind has gone from just walking the earth, to driving on the Moon. We have gone from shouting, to cell phones, from rubbing two sticks together, to nuclear fusion, from just seeing with the naked eye, to, using an electron microscope, seeing the atom, or a satellite telescope to see the cosmos. Now we are even unlocking the DNA molecule, and seeing the mind boggling complexity of just one cell in the human body.

What you seem to be describing above is invention, the "fruit," the effect, of science. Maybe, then, the paragraph should begin with: "Where in the world would we be without invention (or human creativity)?" Just a thought.

Through all of this we can acknowledge a fundamental truth. Mankind can create. We can create. We create from the material. Which begs the question:

If we can create from the material, is there an immaterial force, or being, that can create material from the immaterial?

Do we not then owe it to ourselves to at least look for for the creator, the Father, of us? The only thing you need to do is look with an open heart.

The first series of statements above should be punctuated:

"Through all of this we can acknowledge a fundamental truth: Mankind can create; we can create; we create from the material."

How does it follow that, if we can create, we "owe it to ourselves to at least look for the Creator"? Doesn't science indicate that our inventiveness is just the effect of blind, mechanical, natural processes? Richard Dawkins has written a number of books making the case for this view. So has the late Stephen Hawking. And Sam Harris. And Christopher Hitchens. And...well, you get my point, I'm sure.

Why is an "open heart" required in the search for God? You don't say. What is an "open heart," exactly? Is it setting aside all skepticism? These are questions that leapt immediately to mind as I read your statements above.

"But I don't know how to open my heart."

You don't have to.

Okay. Then why stipulate that a person should have such a heart? You say that it is the only thing they need as they look for God. But in the quotation above you say they don't have to have such a heart. Can you see how this might be confusing to folks reading your essay?

Here's the leap:
Ask, "Creator, Father, God (whichever title you choose), please open my heart. I am looking."

If what was written here makes sense to you, take the leap, and look.

And if a reader believes they've done this and not "found God," what then? Or, what if God, they discover, is Allah, or Shiva, or the Universe itself? Why does looking for God with an open heart (or not) necessarily lead to the God you believe you know? Are you okay with them finding some other god (which would necessarily be a false one, from the Christian perspective)?

I think its fantastic that you're working in this area of thought! Too few Christians want to do the "heavy lifting" that's involved intellectually in doing so. But it is a VERY broad and deep sea of information and argument (in the philosophical sense), of thought, so be patient with yourself as you venture into it. You'll only be the better for "thinking really hard" (Alvin Plantinga's definition of philosophy) about your faith and God.

Hi Josef
Likely better off, in God's sight, than we stand now.

I think it worth understanding that what brought sin into the world was the desire for more knowledge than what God had given us.

"Thou shalt not eat of the tree that is in the middle of the garden."

Notice that it was in the middle. The place that some might consider to be the central point.

"The tree of the knowledge of good and evil."

So knowledge doesn't seem to be all good in God's sight.

Another cautionary word from God's word reads:

They invent ways of doing evil.

God bless,
Ted

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back