Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Purpose Driven Life

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hello. I have the book "The Purpose Driven Life" and was wondering it it was a good book to read? I know what it's about, and how you read a chapter each day for the 40 days and all that. I just want to know peoples opinions about this book and if it helped them.

Purpose Driven Life is profound! I encourage you to follow the 1 chapter a day format. After you read it, keep it on the bookshelf because you're going to find yourself going to back it later to reference something or use it for a Bible Study or lesson.

Highly recommend!

Let me first say, I do not judge others just share what's on my heart. The first time I heard and read this book was back a few years ago with a church I attended up North. This particular church (AOG) was starting a Bible Study with this book and many members followed including my wife. I listened to RW speak a few times on-line and what I heard just touched my heart in a certain way so I picked up this book my wife had gotten as a gift "The Purpose Drive Life" and began to read. I read through about half the book and come realize something just wasn't right. I did research for a couple weeks and my findings seem to be correct so I shared it with my wife and she removed herself from the nightly study group. I will just say that this certain book and the ones that follow I question. When or if you read this book read it with Godly wisdom.

The title appealed to me a year or so ago, and I found the first chapter online somewhere. It was promising, although very... American. :lol There is definitely a cultural difference in religious language and devotional style, and sometimes that's irritating. But non the less I found it good and inspiring.

However, I also read some criticism, basically saying Warren takes his liberties in quoting scripture.
Plus, I'm suspicious about christians that become celebrities and millionaires by doing what God has commanded everyone to do, and without payment: spread His word, teach, heal, and so on. There is too much money making involved here.
However, there's nothing wrong with publishing books in order to teach christians about the word in general, but the book where we are really supposed to learn our purpose is the Bible, and if all of The Purpose Driven Life is like the Day 1 chapter it's not exactly a Bible study, more like a collection of inspirational texts.
So I agree with searcher7, read it with discernment. You shold actually always do that, so that hint is a bit redundant. :lol

It seems like this book is something I should NOT read. I really don't know then. I will have to pray about it and then decide what God wants me to do.

Yeah pray about it. It seems the book is quite popular especially for small groups or daily devotional meetings, so people seem to gain a lot from it, and if I had the book here I'd give it a go despite the critical points that I mentioned.
Maybe you can find a group of experienced mature christians to study it with?

I have prayed about it and have decided that it's not worth reading. Not saying that it's not a good book. Just saying that it's not for me.

Hi Danacovert82. Your post intrigued me. I am living and breathing the topic of meaning and purpose in life with my dissertation right now and just created a course on this topic. Praying 4 u. Be blessed.

Back