Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Photographs This is why I'm a gnomonist

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

tim-from-pa

Posted here is a picture of the sundial I made today. It is my "rustic sundial" carved in flagstone with a painted wooden gnomon (pointer) epoxied onto it.

As a sundial person, I am more into the theoretical aspect of sundials. I can calculate some nasty-looking equations for sundials of all types of angles and they are demonstrated to be accurate. However, I cannot make, say, a sundial made from metal as I am not skilled in any type of metallurgy. However, I created slate sundials, wooden sundials, and cardboard sundials to demonstrate the mathematical accuracy. I've even made a sundial from a "vitamin bottle" (this is the "equatorial" variety). It's amazing the types of sundials you can make from common household items.

Slate is the easiest for the "unskilled" in crafts, like me. An awl is all you need to etch the lines, and then find some sort of gnomon. I used sheet metal already (although after awhile it can break off) and this time the wood which can stand by itself.

rusticdial.jpg

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back