Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What does Christ mean by 'this generation shall not pass'?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

reddogs

We see it in several text...
Matthew 24:34
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Mark 13:30
Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Luke 21:32
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

What are everyone's thoughts...

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

The only possibility to me is "this generation" means the generation in which these events start to unfold not the generation He is witnessing to.

The reference to "this generation" is often confusing. I've often wondered if either the translation to English isn't quite accurate to what was truly meant in the original or if the meaning of "generation" is a little different today compared to then.

The problem is that a lot of people take these:
till all these things be done.
till all these things be fulfilled.
till all be fulfilled.
As being about everything the Bible prophesies about like the second coming and judgment day.

Mat 16:28 Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."
How could "some standing here" be interpreted as some thousands of years in the future. I believe Jesus was talking about the destruction of the Temple in 70AD. That was only 30 or 40 years away. Many "standing there" were still alive to see that.
Mat 26:64 Jesus said to him, "It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."
People think this means that Jesus will come down surfing on a cloud. But that term is used in the OT.

Isa 19:1 The burden against Egypt. Behold, the LORD rides on a swift cloud, And will come into Egypt; The idols of Egypt will totter at His presence, And the heart of Egypt will melt in its midst.

This did not happen literally.

Jesus is talking about the day they will see the Romans come in and burn the city and Temple to the ground, not the end of the world. A lot of them standing there got to see it.

The problem is that a lot of people take these:
till all these things be done.
till all these things be fulfilled.
till all be fulfilled.
As being about everything the Bible prophesies about like the second coming and judgment day.

Mat 16:28 Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."
How could "some standing here" be interpreted as some thousands of years in the future. I believe Jesus was talking about the destruction of the Temple in 70AD. That was only 30 or 40 years away. Many "standing there" were still alive to see that.
Mat 26:64 Jesus said to him, "It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."
People think this means that Jesus will come down surfing on a cloud. But that term is used in the OT.

Isa 19:1 The burden against Egypt. Behold, the LORD rides on a swift cloud, And will come into Egypt; The idols of Egypt will totter at His presence, And the heart of Egypt will melt in its midst.

Jesus is talking about the day they will see the Romans come in and burn the city and Temple to the ground, not the end of the world. A lot of them standing there got to see it.
Mark 9:1
And he said to them, 'Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.'
Luke 9:27
“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.

These 2 are slightly different. I would state Pentecost is a possible answer while a 1st century resurrection and 2nd coming is not a possible answer.

That means the church age, the generation of Christ. This generation is known as the "fig tree generation", it lasts throughout the church age, and it will blossom at the end time.

... from the captivity in Babylon until the Christ are fourteen generations. (Matt. 1:17)

There's a key verse only found in Luke and not in Mark or Matthew, it's often neglected. If you take this into consideration, you'd realize that 70AD was just the beginning, not the end. And only will the Son of Man descend on a cloud when the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled, which means the end of the gentile church age.

And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled. (Lk. 21:24)

Mark 9:1
And he said to them, 'Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.'
Luke 9:27
“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.

These 2 are slightly different. I would state Pentecost is a possible answer while a 1st century resurrection and 2nd coming is

Hey reddogs

One understanding is that the word 'this' could be misunderstood by us. Jesus has laid out a rather lengthy list of events that will be coming to fruition as we march inexorably into the last day upon this earth. He mentions several and says that they are only precursors of the end. Then he proclaims to them 'this' generation shall not pass away.... The word 'this' is what is known as a demonstrative. It is used as a determiner for a noun.

So, does Jesus' use of the word 'this' determine the present generation that he was speaking to? Or the future generation that he was speaking about? If it is the later, then we may well be very, very close to either being or seeing that generation. That generation may be children that we hold in our arms today. Sometime within the next 80 years, of the generation that sees the last of those signs, Jesus returns.

That's one explanation.

God bless,
Ted

Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.” As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” They said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.

“Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.
At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

“So, when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again. “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

See, I have told you ahead of time. “So, if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather. “Immediately after the distress of those days 'the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’"

“Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.

“Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.
At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

This is the answer to the last question. When will be the end of the age.

“So, when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

This is the answer to the first question. When will 'this' happen. The this in the question reflects back to the account Jesus had given them previously of the destruction of the temple.

For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again. “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

See, I have told you ahead of time. “So, if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather. “Immediately after the distress of those days 'the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’"

“Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

This is the answer to the question of Jesus' return. Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven.

God bless,
Ted

And the conversations, I don't believe are necessarily directly connected. The account opens with Jesus and his disciples leaving the temple and walking along. As they are walking, one of them apparently sweeps his hand across the site in front of them and marvels to Jesus of the great temple they had built. Jesus immediately replies to that claim by telling them that it was going to be destroyed completely. To the point that not one stone would be left upon another.

But then we find Jesus sitting at the Mount of Olives and his disciples come up to him. My knowledge of the city of Jerusalem is that the Mount of Olives is a decent little walk across the Kidron Valley. Now I'm inclined to believe that this is one of those times that Jesus had walked a bit aways from them for prayer. The Scriptures tell us that he often had a prayer time by himself. They had walked from the temple. Across the Kidron Valley and settled in the place call the Mount of Olives. There, Jesus goes off a few yards to be alone and then his disciples, having been talking about what Jesus had said about the temple, come to him as a group.

"Tell us" they query and ask three questions. Now Jesus is sitting with them likely like he often did when teaching them as they traveled throughout all of Israel. And he again begins to teach them. Saying all these things about the 'when' of the three questions that they asked of him.

And then he tells them, 'this' generation shall not pass away until all these things are fulfilled. In the reality of what we know today, 'this' could not have meant the people that Jesus was talking to, or yes, there must be some unexplained spiritual aspect to it regarding the souls of people living in that day. I don't think that's it.

God bless,
Ted

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back