Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Sabbath should be kept for Christians - evidence from the timeline of Jesus' death and resurrection

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Christ in Luke 10:27 said "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and your neighbor as yourself."

1. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind takes care of the first four commandments.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself should take care of the other six commandments.

The Law in my understanding is the ten commandments. Following the ten commandments was advised by Christ, and, hence following the Sabbath too.
In my understanding, keeping one day of the week dedicated to God is not much to ask. I cannot see though how following the lunar calendar is attainable to observing the technical Sabbath.

The Law in my understanding is the ten commandments. Following the ten commandments was advised by Christ, and, hence following the Sabbath too.

The law of Moses is way more than just the 10 Commandments.

However, let's hold that thought for a moment and examine what the scriptures teach.

Physical circumcision is the first thing.

Then the sacrifice of animals for your sins.

Then there is the food laws, clothing laws, ceremonial washings, feast days as well as sabbath requirements; as in putting a person to death for even picking up sticks to kindle a fire.

Example:

You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Exodus 31:14-15

The law of Moses was the dividing wall of separation, that divided Jews from Gentiles.

Jesus abolished the law of Moses, so as to bring about the one new man in Him.

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. Ephesians 2:14-18

• and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace

JLB

In my understanding, keeping one day of the week dedicated to God is not much to ask.

Amen.

And I believe that was the original desire of God when He made the Sabbath.

There is also the prophetic implication of the Sabbath.

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Colossians 2:16-17

• which are a shadow of things to come

Do you understand what the weekly Sabbath points to?

JLB

Amen.

And I believe that was the original desire of God when He made the Sabbath.

There is also the prophetic implication of the Sabbath.

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Colossians 2:16-17

• which are a shadow of things to come

Do you understand what the weekly Sabbath points to?

JLB
Of course, the weekly Sabbath is just a shadow of the coming millennial rule of Christ.

The law of Moses is way more than just the 10 Commandments.

However, let's hold that thought for a moment and examine what the scriptures teach.

Physical circumcision is the first thing.

Then the sacrifice of animals for your sins.

Then there is the food laws, clothing laws, ceremonial washings, feast days as well as sabbath requirements; as in putting a person to death for even picking up sticks to kindle a fire.

Example:

You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Exodus 31:14-15

The law of Moses was the dividing wall of separation, that divided Jews from Gentiles.

Jesus abolished the law of Moses, so as to bring about the one new man in Him.

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. Ephesians 2:14-18

• and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace

JLB
I am not that well versed in the intricacies of the Old Testament as it pertains the rituals for the Israelites as commanded by God via Moses. I do not think circumcision is necessary etc. for a Christian. But I do keep the ten commandments and that's enough for me.

I am not that well versed in the intricacies of the Old Testament as it pertains the rituals for the Israelites as commanded by God via Moses. I do not think circumcision is necessary etc. for a Christian. But I do keep the ten commandments and that's enough for me.

I'm sure that keeping the 10 commandments is a good place to start.

However, before Moses was born, Abraham kept obeyed His commandments because he received them directly from the Lord. The reason he received them directly from the Lord, the way God intended for man (Adam) to receive His word, was by walking with the Lord in His presence. This is what we are called to do.

And I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of heaven; " I will give to your descendants all these lands; and in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.” Genesis 26:4-5

JLB

I'm sure that keeping the 10 commandments is a good place to start.

However, before Moses was born, Abraham kept obeyed His commandments because he received them directly from the Lord. The reason he received them directly from the Lord, the way God intended for man (Adam) to receive His word, was by walking with the Lord in His presence. This is what we are called to do.

And I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of heaven; " I will give to your descendants all these lands; and in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.” Genesis 26:4-5

JLB
And the keeping of the seventh day of the week Sabbath is one of them.

And the keeping of the seventh day of the week Sabbath is one of them.

According to the law of Moses.

Could you explain how a Christian who is in the New Covenant, "keeps the Sabbath" today?

JLB

What do you mean by "in the New Covenant"?

The New Covenant in His Blood -

For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 1 Corinthians 11:23-25

Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And He said to them, “This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many. Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.” Mark 14:23-25

Circumcision is kind of necessary for personal hygiene and reduction of STD risks.

Last edited:
Circumcision is kind of necessary for personal hygiene and reduction of STD risks.
That may well be - I am not circumcised though and do not plan to be circumcised. You know prior to my crucifixion with Christ as Paul puts it, I used to play the seduction game with women heavily in NYC where I lived for many years. It's a miracle of its own that I did not contract any STDs in the process when I was indulging my carnal self. Anyway, when I met my wife that's when I put an end to all that for, she was truly the one worth it, and that was prior to my true Christian conversion.

I state all this for I now have two children and I became serious with my wife only when I knew she did not have any STDs. And as it stands now, I am not interested in sex at all except for providing conjugal rights to my wife.

I tell you; in Paul's 1 Corinthians 7 there are many gems of heavenly wisdom and I have tremendous respect for those who have settled in their mind and spirit to not have sexual affairs at all and have kept themselves pure throughout their life. That's a wonderful achievement pleasing to God!

My apologies if I seem to digress a bit. I think I talked about something that is a very important topic though, spurred by your statement.

That may well be - I am not circumcised though and do not plan to be circumcised. You know prior to my crucifixion with Christ as Paul puts it, I used to play the seduction game with women heavily in NYC where I lived for many years. It's a miracle of its own that I did not contract any STDs in the process when I was indulging my carnal self. Anyway, when I met my wife that's when I put an end to all that for, she was truly the one worth it, and that was prior to my true Christian conversion.

I state all this for I now have two children and I became serious with my wife only when I knew she did not have any STDs. And as it stands now, I am not interested in sex at all except for providing conjugal rights to my wife.

I tell you; in Paul's 1 Corinthians 7 there are many gems of heavenly wisdom and I have tremendous respect for those who have settled in their mind and spirit to not have sexual affairs at all and have kept themselves pure throughout their life. That's a wonderful achievement pleasing to God!

My apologies if I seem to digress a bit. I think I talked about something that is a very important topic though, spurred by your statement.
My real point is to think outside the box. If you only analyze circumcision from a theological aspect, it'd be considered as a Jewish hallmark (and also a muslim hallmark, depending on age), and then it's weaponized to play identity politics and cause division, circumcision and uncircumcision become political-religious statements, while circimcision's own merits are totally ignored. I abhor this kind of mentality. If you analyze circumcision from a medical aspect, however, explore its potential HEALTH benefits, i.e. personal hygiene and reduction of STD risks, then you'd realize that such benefits are universal, these benefits apply to men of all ethnicities, creeds and religions. Circumcision doesn't make you a Jew, uncircimcision doesn't make you a Christian.

My real point is to think outside the box. If you only analyze circumcision from a theological aspect, it'd be considered as a Jewish hallmark (and also a muslim hallmark, depending on age), and then it's weaponized to play identity politics and cause division, circumcision and uncircumcision become political-religious statements, while circimcision's own merits are totally ignored. I abhor this kind of mentality. If you analyze circumcision from a medical aspect, however, explore its potential HEALTH benefits, i.e. personal hygiene and reduction of STD risks, then you'd realize that such benefits are universal, these benefits apply to men of all ethnicities, creeds and religions. Circumcision doesn't make you a Jew, uncircimcision doesn't make you a Christian.
I see your point. The way I understand it and as Paul states in 1 Corinthians 7:18-20 "Was anyone at the time of his call already circumcised? Let him not seek to remove the marks of circumcision. Was anyone at the time of his call uncircumcised? Let him not seek circumcision. For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God. Each one should remain in the condition in which he was called."

If there are health benefits to circumcision then by all means let the person be circumsized. If that serves to better personal hygiene and reduction of STD risks so be it. However please note that from John 6:44 that at a point in time the Father draws us to Christ and then 1 Corinthians 7:18-20 takes effect. So once we are crucified with Christ and denounce our old carnal self then we remain on the condition upon which we were drawn.

I see your point. The way I understand it and as Paul states in 1 Corinthians 7:18-20 "Was anyone at the time of his call already circumcised? Let him not seek to remove the marks of circumcision. Was anyone at the time of his call uncircumcised? Let him not seek circumcision. For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God. Each one should remain in the condition in which he was called."

If there are health benefits to circumcision then by all means let the person be circumsized. If that serves to better personal hygiene and reduction of STD risks so be it. However please note that from John 6:44 that at a point in time the Father draws us to Christ and then 1 Corinthians 7:18-20 takes effect. So once we are crucified with Christ and denounce our old carnal self then we remain on the condition upon which we were drawn.
That is why I went on a bit of digression before, for many men are uncircumsized when the Father draws them. For all the universal health merits of circumcision Paul points out that we should stay on the condition upon which we are called. However personally I agree with you that there are health benefits to circumcision that are delivered to people and usually those are rendered prior to being drawn by the Father from John 6:44.

Yes, don't make circumcision a dividing issue and a political statement, same as Sabbath, kosher diet, abstinence during menstruation and other practices. The original purpose of all of those was for health and medical reasons, not moral or religious reasons.

I don't see the connection between that and "how a Christian who is in the New Covenant, 'keeps the Sabbath' today."

Do you believe Christians under the New Covenant are commanded to keep the Sabbath like the children of Israel under Moses?

Back