Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Make Government Work !

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

hawkman

Staff member
Make Government Work - John Stossel

President Joe Biden says, "I know how to make government work!"
You'd think he'd know. He's worked in government for 51 years.
But the truth is, no one can make government work.
Biden hasn't.
Look at the chaos at the border, our military's botched withdrawal from Afghanistan, the rising cost of living, our unsustainable record-high debt ...
In my new video, economist Ed Stringham argues that no government can ever work well, because "even the best person can't implement change. ... The massive bureaucracy gets bigger and slower."
I learned that as a consumer reporter watching bureaucrats regulate business. Their rules usually made life worse for consumers.
Yet politicians want government to do more!
Remember the unveiling of Obamacare's website? Millions tried to sign up. The first day, only six got it to work.
Vice President Joe Biden made excuses: "Neither (Obama) and I are technology geeks."
Stringham points out, "If they can't design a basic simple website, how are they going to manage half the economy?"
While bureaucrats struggled with the Obamacare site, the private sector successfully created Uber and Lyft, platforms like iCloud, apps like Waze, smartwatches, etc.
The private sector creates things that work because it has to. If businesses don't serve customers well, they go out of business.
But government is a monopoly. It never goes out of business. With no competition, there's less pressure to improve.
Often good people join government. Some work as hard as workers in the private sector.
But not for long. Because the bureaucracy's incentives kill initiative.
If a government worker works hard, he might get a small raise. But he sits near others who earn the same pay and, thanks to archaic civil service rules, are unlikely to get fired even if they're late, lazy or stupid.
Over time, that's demoralizing. Eventually government workers conclude, "Why try?"
In the private sector, workers must strive to make things better. If they don't, competitors will, and you might lose your job.
Governments never go out of business.
"Companies can only stay in business if they always keep their customer happy," Stringham points out. "Competition pushes us to be better. Government has no competition."
I push back.
"Politicians say, 'Voters can vote us out.'"
"With a free market," Stringham replies, "The consumer votes every single day with the dollar. Under politics, we have to wait four years."
It's another reason why, over time, government never works as well as the private sector.
Year after year, the Pentagon fails audits.
If a private company repeatedly does that, they get shut down. But government never gets shut down.
A Pentagon spokeswoman makes excuses: "We're working on improving our process. We certainly are learning each time."
They don't learn much. They still fail audits.
"It's like we're living in Groundhog Day," Stringham jokes.
When Covid hit, politicians handed out almost $2 trillion in "rescue" funds. The Government Accountability Office says more than $100 billion were stolen.
"One woman bought a Bentley," laughs Stringham. "A father and son bought a luxury home."
At least Biden noticed the fraud. He announced, "We're going to make you pay back what you stole!
No. They will not. Biden's Fraud Enforcement Task Force has recovered only 1% of what was stolen.
Even without fraud, government makes money vanish. I've reported on my town's $2 million toilet in a park. When I confronted the parks commissioner, he said, "$2 million was a bargain! Today it would cost $3 million."
That's government work.
More recently, Biden proudly announced that government would create "500,000 (EV) charging stations."
After two years, they've built ... seven. Not 7,000. Just seven.
Over the same time, greedy, profit-seeking Amazon built 17,000.
"Privatize!" says Stringham. "Whenever we think something's important, question whether government should do it."
In Britain, government-owned Jaguar lost money year after year. Only when Britain sold the company to private investors did Jaguar start turning a profit selling cars people actually like.
When Sweden sold Absolut Vodka, the company increased its profits sixfold.
It's ridiculous for Biden to say, "I know how to make government work."
No one does.
Next week, this column takes on Donald Trump's promise: "We'll drain the Washington swamp!"

The issue I see with this article is that it's making a defense for an argument that is not being made.

The take aways is the free market is good, government is incompetent.

However the article doesn't establish what it means by pointing to specific policy or regulations. Instead it gestures at incompetence.

It's easy to say someth8ng is wrong, but it takes more effort to offer solutions. Saying "free market" isn't a solution because that could mean many different things depending on the economist. Same with criticizing regulation. Which regulations?

I'm not saying our government is perfect or that the government should run the ecconomy, I'm just pointing out the article doesn't say anything more than the ecconomy isn't doing well so something needs to change. Too bad it doesn't actually say what needs to be changed.

However the article doesn't establish what it means by pointing to specific policy or regulations. Instead it gestures at incompetence.
This is a lot more that a "gesture" it is a fact .
More recently, Biden proudly announced that government would create "500,000 (EV) charging stations."
I'm not saying our government is perfect or that the government should run the ecconomy, I'm just pointing out the article doesn't say anything more than the ecconomy isn't doing well so something needs to change. Too bad it doesn't actually say what needs to be changed.
He is pointing out the government is far from perfect . Our government needs to be run for the people and not the gravy train riders .

Being a govt employee of a local municipal area for twenty years..

Once you get past probation ,don't feel like working as hard ,don't .a few jobs like my old city job would but some learned to walk out or drag out routes to not get extra work like I did.

I didn't get more pay because I could slam the patio route in two and half hours with a electric and water then versus some who would take till one .

When I worked fleet I would want to learn more and the techs who could would sit back and let me do it all . I get allowing me to learn but not to do their job .

At the city I was it few jobs were it can be done tomorrow.only the garbage guys and meter readers hustled .it rained ,lightning we didn't stop .

The jobs I've had that had the most slackers were private sector jobs with big corporations.

The worst was when I was an in-home service tech for Time-Warner cable. All the techs would take their vans, grab some food, head to the park, and eat then take a nap. A lot of days they'd even play 9 holes of golf while on the clock!

On my first few days after I'd finished my morning work orders, I went back to the office and my supervisor was like "I don't care what you do, just don't come back to the office". She didn't want to be responsible for giving me something to do, so she preferred I just do.....whatever.

Plus, the sales staff was totally lying to customers and ripping them off (to get commission) and when I reported it to the sales lead, he said they didn't care. They'd done the math and figured they were still making profit, so who cares.

I saw the same sort of things when I worked for Sears.

On my first few days after I'd finished my morning work orders, I went back to the office and my supervisor was like "I don't care what you do, just don't come back to the office". She didn't want to be responsible for giving me something to do, so she preferred I just do.....whatever.
Well , did you take up golf too ? ⛳🏌️‍♂️

Side story .
When the Vietnam war was raging @1965 . A General made a surprise visit to a golf course on Okinawa and all the officers he found there playing he gave them immediate orders to go to Vietnam .

This is a lot more that a "gesture" it is a fact .
What fact? He didn't give any examples or clarify what he means by free market.

He is pointing out the government is far from perfect . Our government needs to be run for the people and not the gravy train riders .
So it's exactly what I said, he vaguely gestures at incompetence but offers no direct solutions.

You highlighted where the writer made the claim that only 7 charging stations were built and a random quoted sentence is his entire source. Look, if he really wanted to be convincing the guy would link back to where Biden made the claim, or maybe offered a solution.

The jobs I've had that had the most slackers were private sector jobs with big corporations.

The worst was when I was an in-home service tech for Time-Warner cable. All the techs would take their vans, grab some food, head to the park, and eat then take a nap. A lot of days they'd even play 9 holes of golf while on the clock!

Plus, the sales staff was totally lying to customers and ripping them off (to get commission) and when I reported it to the sales lead, he said they didn't care. They'd done the math and figured they were still making profit, so who cares.

I saw the same sort of things when I worked for Sears.
Yes but there is incentive to fire them.

I quote the post office vmf mgr .

Don't be those slacker who I have a book on discipline that I can't fire.

They can crash their truck into the garage and not loose that job and total the truck . I know a trucker who can't drive over a mirror being knocked off ,it is reported .

If I wreck or drive horribly I won't be working at AutoZone driving .

Granted it seems that the private sector also nor I did I say it didn't have that problem but people can not buy products from those that can't build them ,repair them efficiently.

If a mechanic is horrible ,the customer will not go back to him .in the jobs I had in the govt they gave the repair to another tech and not really punish the slacker . It does happen but again as i can dig up stories of drivers hitting city property ,allowing a truck tire to wobble so bad it came off and hit a car .

Some deprts did care and punish them but not often .

What fact? He didn't give any examples or clarify what he means by free market.

So it's exactly what I said, he vaguely gestures at incompetence but offers no direct solutions.

You highlighted where the writer made the claim that only 7 charging stations were built and a random quoted sentence is his entire source. Look, if he really wanted to be convincing the guy would link back to where Biden made the claim, or maybe offered a solution.
Stay tuned , John Stossel said this week he will talk about DJT and the swamp not being drained .

Below I linked an article that goes into the complicated situation around why it's taking time to get all the the chargers online. However one thing you notice when you read the full article is that 180,000 chargers have been buil..... that is way more than seven. It also seems that private contractors in some states haven't even bid on the contracts yet... so why isn't the "free market" magical making this work?

However one thing you notice when you read the full article is that 180,000 chargers have been buil..... that is way more than seven.
That is odd the headline on the article you linked to said this .

"Congress provided $7.5B for electric vehicle chargers. Built so far: Zero.​

The sluggish rollout could undermine President Joe Biden’s reelection messaging promoting electric vehicles."
It also seems that private contractors in some states haven't even bid on the contracts yet... so why isn't the "free market" magical making this work?
Your article had a answer for you .

"States and the charger industry blame the delays mostly on the labyrinth of new contracting and performance requirements they have to navigate to receive federal funds."

Imagine that .

Hasn't GM or Ford rolled out charging stations? It's mostly the private sector building them. If I recall the chargers Biden promised still need to go through hoops before they're able to be built.

That is odd the headline on the article you linked to said this .

"Congress provided $7.5B for electric vehicle chargers. Built so far: Zero.​

The sluggish rollout could undermine President Joe Biden’s reelection messaging promoting electric vehicles."

Your article had a answer for you .

"States and the charger industry blame the delays mostly on the labyrinth of new contracting and performance requirements they have to navigate to receive federal funds."

Imagine that .
You didn't read the whole thing. The article is from politico and is responding to the statements about zero stations being built.

Seriously, did you read any farther than the first paragraph?

Hasn't GM or Ford rolled out charging stations? It's mostly the private sector building them. If I recall the chargers Biden promised still need to go through hoops before they're able to be built.
The private sector is building the stations because that was always the plan. The US government set funds aside in Biden's plan to pay private contractors for the building of these stations.

The article provided by Hawk avoids this by just juxtaposing government and private when it's always been a blend.

You didn't read the whole thing. The article is from politico and is responding to the statements about zero stations being built.

Most people just read the headline. Its rather annoying because many of these news sites have begun to include a video at the top for all the lazy people that can't be bothered to read... or that can't read. Education isn't what it once was, you know?

However one thing you notice when you read the full article is that 180,000 chargers have been buil..... that is way more than seven.
Tell me how many of these 180,000 chargers were built using any of the $7.5 billon ?

Let me help you out here , I believe you need help .

WH pledged $7.5B for electric vehicle charging stations, only 8 built so far

🥸 I even had my glasses on when I read it , LOL . And the article said this ....

But not a single charger funded by the bipartisan infrastructure law has come online and odds are they will not be able to start powering Americans’ vehicles until at least 2024.

Your article is out of date by the way because as we see it the above link there are 8 charging stations online built with using the $7.5 funds .
Seriously , did you comprehend what the article said ?

From the article .
"Biden signed the bipartisan infrastructure package into law in 2021 with $7.5 billion specifically directed toward EV chargers, with an eye toward achieving his goal of building 500,000 chargers in the United States by 2030."

Now politico tells us how many chargers are already existing in the USA and NOT how many the $7.5 billion has built !!

From the article .

The United States has around 180,000 chargers today, according to the Energy Department. That includes 41,000 of the type of fast chargers that can alleviate the dreaded “range anxiety” of a long-distance road trip in an electric vehicle.

The article provided by Hawk avoids this by just juxtaposing government and private when it's always been a blend.
Gas light much ?

Well , did you take up golf too ? ⛳🏌️‍♂️
Yup. I played a lot of golf on company time, among tons of other things.

Side story .
When the Vietnam war was raging @1965 . A General made a surprise visit to a golf course on Okinawa and all the officers he found there playing he gave them immediate orders to go to Vietnam .
That'll fix it!

The biggest revelation for me wasn't so much about us techs slacking off, but was instead about how the company didn't care one bit about their sales reps lying to customers and ripping them off, even including old people in nursing homes.

Basically, in the late 90's digital cable was new and T-W was upgrading their system to include this new digital capacity. In order to get the new digital features, you had to have a special cable box, and if you didn't want it you could still keep the older setup where the cable just plugged directly into the back of your TV.

The sales people quickly figured out that if they showed up to customers homes, told them the new box was mandatory and free, and then installed it, they would get their sales commission even if the customer had the box taken out the next day. Of course the box was neither mandatory nor free, which meant when people got their first bill and saw the charge they realized they'd been lied to, with many getting so angry they immediately called to get it taken out.

When I started seeing so many customers demanding a complete disconnect (especially family of older folks who'd been lied to), that's when I told the head of sales what was going on. His response was that they'd done the math and figured if they can just get the new boxes in peoples' homes, X% will keep them and pay, X% will have the box removed but keep their cable, and X% will do a full disconnect. As long as that last X% is low enough, the company would make a nice profit.

And when I responded "But you're lying to old people in nursing homes, which is making a lot of people really, really angry" he just shrugged and said the numbers are all that matters.

That was a huge "lesson learned" for me. When dealing with large corporations, all they care about is the bottom line and you as a customer are irrelevant.

Yes but there is incentive to fire them.

I quote the post office vmf mgr .

Don't be those slacker who I have a book on discipline that I can't fire.

They can crash their truck into the garage and not loose that job and total the truck . I know a trucker who can't drive over a mirror being knocked off ,it is reported .

If I wreck or drive horribly I won't be working at AutoZone driving .

Granted it seems that the private sector also nor I did I say it didn't have that problem but people can not buy products from those that can't build them ,repair them efficiently.

If a mechanic is horrible ,the customer will not go back to him .in the jobs I had in the govt they gave the repair to another tech and not really punish the slacker . It does happen but again as i can dig up stories of drivers hitting city property ,allowing a truck tire to wobble so bad it came off and hit a car .

Some deprts did care and punish them but not often .
Oh for sure, I've heard Post Office rules are kinda nuts.

Interestingly though, the times I've worked in gov't jobs everyone pretty much did their work as best they could. Of course all of my work was in science, so everyone I worked with not only wanted to be there but was actually excited about the projects and so worked very hard (including working for free at times).

The sales people quickly figured out that if they showed up to customers homes, told them the new box was mandatory and free, and then installed it, they would get their sales commission even if the customer had the box taken out the next day. Of course the box was neither mandatory nor free, which meant when people got their first bill and saw the charge they realized they'd been lied to, with many getting so angry they immediately called to get it taken out.
Those chickens all came home to roost when Direct TV and Dish Network came along and gave the people a choice in who would get their money .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back