Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] more family goodness

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
My mama came back from her trip overseas wednesday night. I was happy to see her come home. she came in kinda late, so I didn't get to help her with her luggage :-(

We're getting along! I'm now hyper-sensitive to these things, which is odd, because when I was younger I was insensitive and cruel. Now, I take about my parents and they care about me, and...basic stuff that builds up good family relationships and good lives, too.

We talk now and then, when she's in the kitchen. She's making these little chicken things...drum-lets?...for a bit SC football game today. So, I chatted her up. Everything was easy breezy. She got me some sinus spray while she was out shopping, which is a blessing (I didn't even think to get some for myself or ask for some).

Prosaic, humdrum stuff that builds up a life. Nothing crazy exciting to report, but I --am-- blessed beyond measure. My dad and I went for our Sunday drive...on Tuesday. It was awesome. Longer than usual. He got me a Blizzard from Dairy Queen. Made my day (PS: peanut butter cookie smash is amazing).

My dad and I get along, usually quite well. My mama and I get along quite well, most of the time. This is Christ's work in our lives. I try not to think about it now, but I cut them deep when I was younger. Lots of stuff going on...I hurt them in ways that most parents would never forgive. E-v-e-r.

Well, God is good, and so are my people. I don't know about full on forgiveness, but we talk and things are calm and there's warmth in our relationship. Jesus has changed me through and through, so I think that makes it easier for them to warm up to me, since they know I need them (a) and I'm not going to deliberately hurt them again (b). That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

Thank you all for your ongoing prayers. As I've recovered from...well, life, but definitely brain damage...I've come to realize how messed up and sin marred and scarred I was. God was and is merciful, not just to me, but since its my life, and He's been particularly merciful, I'm learning to be thankful+show some appreciation.

Prayers are always appreciated. This, however, was/is definitely a Praise Report (!!!).

Thanks again. :)

thanks, air dancer.

Tonight, my dad made a good dinner. chicken cooked with italian sausage, green beans. Nothing too fancy (delicious, though), but then he asked me "how was the chicken?," and I told him "I mean to tell you earlier, it's awesome," and he smiled. Then, I realized...

I --was-- bratty, to the core, to the max. That doesn't justify what these doctors did to me in the name of "humbling experiences" or whatever, but it was a big part of who I was. Now, my people are good to me, and I do my best to be good to them, too.

My mama and I are getting along nicely. she actually seems excited about the weather change and the upcoming holidays, especially Christmas. That's huge! Usually, she gets down when the weather gets cooler and darker, and Christmas has never been her favorite Holiday. This year, she even went ahead a bought a couple fancy ornaments that were on sale or something. 'Tis the season, etc.

Meanwhile, I realize that most people who live like I lived (more like existed, but whatevs) and hurt their family like I hurt mine are homeless, in prison, dead, etc. My people are extraordinarily kind and loving, and I haven't appreciated them as I should until now, basically, and now only because Christ has changed me so I'm not a self-destructive brat from the pits of Hell.

My dad's a good man, my mama's a good woman, and I was...not good at all, by anybody's standards, least of all The Lord's. And yet, He saved me anyway. That one just began to really sink in with me. Low status, often ugly, sickly, despised, simple-minded, foolish, weak, etc., and the Creator of the Universe decided to save me, through Christ.

Kinda rambling, but, point is: I'm now much, much more thankful for my family. They're good people. I'm a much better person because of Christ. I hope and pray we can all 3 move forward into full on family unity, despite everything I did in years past, before Christ saved+transformed me.

Thanks again. :)

It's good to hear about your new life, my friend. Yes, God is good, and works in wonderful ways. He works in the lives of your parents as well as in yours. What God is doing for you, is a blessing not only to you, but for them as well. I wish we could know the story of these changes and blessings from their perspective as well as from yours.

I pray God continues to guide you, and change you, and bless you.

the only time I've heard my parents talking about the changes in me was this one time...they were a couple drinks deep, out on the front porch...I overheard mama saying that I seemed "much more...humble..." Always a good thing.

my parents came home from work a bit early today. I think they're genuinely excited about the Holiday Season. My mom's actually getting excited about Christmas, which is unusual.

I think The Lord changed me for all 3 of us. I don't have to be who I was ((obviously brain damaged, sick+sickly, ugly, bratty, etc.)) and they don't have to deal with that sort of offspring.

I'm hoping I can facilitate The Lord's work in their lives. Its strange. They're both recovering Calvinists. My dad favors a SBC megachurch. My mom...not sure. I saw a book by Calvin on her desk, open to a chapter on "regeneration." Old habits die hard? Or maybe she just can't get my dad to go to the Presbyterian church with her, so she reads calvin at home? At any rate...

point is, they're both Christian. Because I was saved through the efforts of Pentecostals, I keep thinking that salvation is something that can be lost (fairly easily), when I don't think that's the case, Biblically. So, its not like I thought it was before, where I'm saved and they're not and I'm here to get them saved. Nope. Its more like they're Christians, they've been burned by church people, the guy my dad likes is fresh out of rehab, and they went through a lot because of me. And now...

The Lord has changed me, big time, and I think that's one reason they're in better moods and why mother is actually looking forward to Christmas this year (she even bought an ornament or two on sale).

Thanks for all your ongoing prayers, for me+my family. I ask that you keep them coming.

:)

me again. I got my mom 2 Pink Flamingo ornaments off the internet. They're awesome! She like pink flamingoes. I also got her an elvis dressed in blue suede that's on its way, hopefully.

Life is going better than ever. I get along well with both my parents. I think we're all 3 beginning to realize that I may never have a job. Its kinda rough. Rough for me because I assumed that God had made healthy and everything else in part so I could have some kinda j-o-b. Rough for them because everybody wants their offspring to do something, accomplish something.

On the plus side, I'm not whiny and bratty and generally ridiculous. I genuinely care about others, starting with Jesus and my parents. My mom's once again making chicken drummets (I think that's how its spelled) for a football game. I chatted her up while she made the marinade, and again later while she was doing more kitchen+laundry stuff. Good times. I walked away at one point and said "I'll leave you to your domestic stuff," and then I followed it up with " I love you." That took some guts on my part, because I was afraid I'd be brushed off or even make her upset, somehow. She said "I love you to. I appreciate it."

:) family is so important. I don't know what I was thinking as a teenager. I think I was just socially isolated, socially awkward, very immature (at one point, I was diagnosed with a developmental disorder, something on the autism spectrum), and my head was filled to the brim with secular, worldly nonsense that was above my comprehension level.

Please keep those prayers coming, and I Praise God for His goodness.

oh wow. a good sunday, too. My dad helped me clean my (horribly messy) room. I know, that's like kidz do. I need to get better about things, I know. I'm blessed that my parents cut me so much slack, since I had all that shock and everything :-( . Still, I've clearly come a long way (Praise God!).

then he took me out for a drive. usually, we go through the countryside, and there's plenty of that around here. This time, he took me to see some projects he's helping with for work and stuff he and his colleagues have done in years past. ---excellent---

its crazy. when I was younger, we weren't this close. Now, he'll talk to me a little about his life growing up, his job right now, etc., and my mom will, too.

I feel as if I'm living in a mixture of a recovery story and a coming of age story, wrapped into one. I'm blessed, at any rate. I guess at the end of the day, its not really --my-- story anymore than your life, after getting saved, is --your-- story, or even --your-- life. Its a story of God's work in my life+my family's lives.

Thanks again for the prayer+support. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back