Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What are the consequences ...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

zeland

When Christ, at the last supper, said, “This is My Body – This is My Blood”,was He talking only symbolically or did He really mean that the bread and wine were to be miraculous transformed into His real Flesh and Blood, while still retaining the outward appearance of bread and wine?

First of all, I think that most people would agree that Christ certainly has the power to do that, and the Catholic response to this question has always been a resounding YES! Yes, He was talking literally and NOT symbolically, and yes, this has been the constant teaching of the Church, from apostolic times till now. Ever since the words of consecration were first spoken at the Last Supper, the apostles and their successors have believed in the literal meaning of Christ's words, believed in the Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist.

However, despite all the scriptural evidence to the contrary, most protestants (non-Catholic Christians if you prefer) do not accept this teaching of Christ. They say our lord was just talking symbolically. For all those in this category I would like to suggest the following as a subject of serious reflection.

Ask yourself this question. "Why do I not believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist? Is it a concept that is too difficult to understand (A "hard saying" as the Jews put it, as they walked away), or is it just because I have been told this all my life, but never seriously studied the scriptures to see if what I was taught was correct, or could it be that really deep down inside I just don’t want to believe it?

Therefore, first question - "What would be the consequences to my life if I choose to believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist, if I choose to accept the literal meaning of Christ's words at the Last Super"?

And then, following from the above question, we have - "What are the consequences of NOT believing in the Real Presence, of NOT accepting the literal meaning of His words"? See Mark 16:16 for the answer.

In John 6 Jesus said we are to EAT HIS BODY AND DRINK HIS BLOOD.
The answer was already posted a few times.

Jesus NEVER violated TORAH, no, not ever. And He Never Told anyone else to.

Jesus Himself explained "MY WORDS ARE SPIRIT AND THEY ARE LIFE" (not flesh nor disobedient to death)

Jesus also said Jesus has food to eat you do not know about. (never heard of?)

Hey All,
I believe in Communion.
We are to do it in remembrance of what Jesus did.
So, that said, I don't believe the bread turns to flesh, or the wine into blood.
That would put me off of taking part in communion.
Because I don't believe in eating people.

I also don't believe it has to be bread and wine.
Because bread and wine are symbols, anything else could be used as well. It is the act that is important. If I used crackers and milk, or tortillas and beer, what would be the difference? It is the remembrance that is important.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Folks, this discussion is in the Q&A forum and therefore, replies are to be directed toward answering the OP's questions only. I will delete any further comments that do not follow the rules.

For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

Are we bread? Or is that symbolism?

Christians are all part of one body, yet have I dividual bodies, we eat a symbolic bit of bread, drink a token cup of wine in memory of Jesus one and only sacrifice.

The answer was already posted a few times.

Jesus NEVER violated TORAH, no, not ever. And He Never Told anyone else to.

Jesus Himself explained "MY WORDS ARE SPIRIT AND THEY ARE LIFE" (not flesh nor disobedient to death)

Jesus also said Jesus has food to eat you do not know about. (never heard of?)
Where do n Torah?

Are we bread? Or is that symbolism?

Christians are all part of one body, yet have I dividual bodies, we eat a symbolic bit of bread, drink a token cup of wine in memory of Jesus one and only sacrifice.
Is that Pauls understanding
1 cor 10 he does NOT say bread or wine but “body & blood”?

Thks

Folks, this discussion is in the Q&A forum and therefore, replies are to be directed toward answering the OP's questions only. I will delete any further comments that do not follow the rules.
I made a thread in the catholic forum if any one wants to add any comments or ask any questions! Thks

Therefore, first question - "What would be the consequences to my life if I choose to believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist, if I choose to accept the literal meaning of Christ's words at the Last Super"?

And then, following from the above question, we have - "What are the consequences of NOT believing in the Real Presence, of NOT accepting the literal meaning of His words"? See Mark 16:16 for the answer.
The consequences for those who believe eating human flesh and drinking blood is okay is death.

The last supper was symbolic. However, the disciples absolutely shared Christ's body and blood of His crucifixion later. James was run through with a sword, Peter was crucified, Matthew was stabbed...all shared Jesus' cup but John, quite literally. The events in the upper room were literal in the sense that they literally led to their eventual martyrdom.

This is what the Spirit reveals to me....

Bread - Jesus is the bread of life. What does that mean? He is the Word. We are sustained by the Word/Jesus and his words

Wine - His 🩸. The new covenant IS his blood. Son of Man/Son of God🧬

Hebrews 9:16-18 In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living. This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood.

It is a legal transaction of inheritance being given to the children of God (Holy Spirit given)

Hi zeland

He was speaking symbolically. He was literally standing there in his body when he held up the bread and proclaimed that it represented his body and the juice, his blood. It's only made more difficult than that by the frail wisdom of man.

God bless,
Ted

The consequences of not believing in real presence and literal meaning of His words is confusion. A problematic perspective. Some of what Jesus says is symbolic but most of it is meant to be taken literally. Jesus words pictures of real life situations to uncover spirituals truths. You have to be able to implement and connect with that to spiritually grow. Jesus calls it bread and yeast.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back