Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Did Mary consent to our salvation?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I thought you were a “Bible alone” Christian? Hummmmm!
Yes. There is no metion of grace in that verse. Where do you see the grace?

And the angel entered to her, and said, Hail, full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed be thou among women.

That’s a Protestant version too!

The extent of Mary's Blessing was the fact she gave birth to Jesus' Body.​

"And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

NASB 1977
And coming in, he said to her, “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

Legacy Standard Bible
And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

Amplified Bible
And coming to her, the angel said, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

Christian Standard Bible
And the angel came to her and said, “Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you.”

Holman Christian Standard Bible
And the angel came to her and said, “Rejoice, favored woman! The Lord is with you.”

American Standard Version
And he came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favored, the Lord is with thee.

The majority of Bible versions of Luke 1:28 disagree.

"full of grace" can mean that God is full of grace and expressed His grace by picking that woman to be the one to birth His body.

• She was highly favored.
  • The Lord was with her.
  • She was blessed.
i. However, all these things are true of the believer in Jesus. We are highly favored as Mary was (Ephesians 1:6), the Lord is with us (Matthew 28:20), and we are blessed (Ephesians 1:3).

ii. The Roman Catholic prayer that begins “Hail Mary, full of grace” is accurate. Mary was full of grace, and so is the believer. But Mary’s grace was a received grace, not grace to give to others.

It's meditating on a woman.

The rosary is meditation on the life of Jesus.
It was used in ancient times because persons were illiterate in Europe and it was a good way to teach about Jesus' life.
It may not even be necessary anymore, but certainly prayer can't harm us in any way.

It also honors Mary as the Mother of Jesus.
The first part of the Hail Mary is entirely biblical.
The second part is a bit biblical and the rest is a prayer at our death.

I'd have to say that I'm not at all sure that saints can hear our prayers - but this is what Catholics teach.
I find that every denomination teaches something or other that I don't care for, but it's their right to do so.

The reason for this is that I don't believe that saints are omnipresent.

As for Mary, I refrain from any comment because I do believe she holds a special place that we Protestants are just not able to accept for one reason or another.

I mean, we care for Paul more or John more - and she was the MOTHER of Jesus.
Let's at least give her the same consideration as we give to Paul and John and others that wrote in God's word.

Yes. There is no metion of grace in that verse. Where do you see the grace?

The extent of Mary's Blessing was the fact she gave birth to Jesus' Body.​

"And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

NASB 1977
And coming in, he said to her, “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

Legacy Standard Bible
And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

Amplified Bible
And coming to her, the angel said, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.”

Christian Standard Bible
And the angel came to her and said, “Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you.”

Holman Christian Standard Bible
And the angel came to her and said, “Rejoice, favored woman! The Lord is with you.”

American Standard Version
And he came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favored, the Lord is with thee.

The majority of Bible versions of Luke 1:28 disagree.

"full of grace" can mean that God is full of grace and expressed His grace by picking that woman to be the one to birth His body.

• She was highly favored.
  • The Lord was with her.
  • She was blessed.
i. However, all these things are true of the believer in Jesus. We are highly favored as Mary was (Ephesians 1:6), the Lord is with us (Matthew 28:20), and we are blessed (Ephesians 1:3).

ii. The Roman Catholic prayer that begins “Hail Mary, full of grace” is accurate. Mary was full of grace, and so is the believer. But Mary’s grace was a received grace, not grace to give to others.
WE are not full of grace.

Do you have any scripture?
I can't think of any.

We are SAVED by God's grace.

Amen, and that casts out the sinners.

Right.
No liars, thieves, adulterers, or murderers, included there.

That is not in the bible, so is obviously from some ungodly source.
The history of the apostolic church is not ungodly

My suffering with Christ, (1 Peter 4:1), has already occurred.
If you have yet to "participate", it isn't too late time to do so.
Narrow and royal road of self-denial and suffering for love of God and to do His will is a daily deed!

WE are not full of grace.

Do you have any scripture?
I can't think of any.

We are SAVED by God's grace.
the word that the Catholics translate as "full of grace" in Luke 1:28 is kecharitōmenē....Strong's 5487 a verb, feminine singular form. That word also is used in Ephesians 1:6 : For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. (verses 4-6) the emboldened is Strong's 5487 a verb, third person singular form

So if it fair to say that Mary is full of grace because of the use of Strong's 5487 in Luke 1:28 then it is also fair to say that we all are full of grace because of the use of Strong's 5487 in Eph 1:6

If the church follows Christ perfectly, it is actually of God.
If the church keeps getting entangles in sin, it is of the devil.
Then also what it teaches us s of God, for there is no teaching anyone to sin

Yes.
Why would we need to keep getting saved over and over again of out love for God and neighbor is real ?
Cos you’re not saved only in Christ by grace in his new covenant church members of Christ in the process of salvation if we remain faithful to the end then salvation proper! Mk 13:13 Matt 24:13

Cos you’re not saved only in Christ by grace in his new covenant church members of Christ in the process of salvation if we remain faithful to the end then salvation proper! Mk 13:13 Matt 24:13
Care to rephrase that ?
It was no comprehendible.

If the church follows Christ perfectly, it is actually of God.
If the church keeps getting entangles in sin, it is of the devil.
Whatever leads to Jesus is of God.
The church, any Christian church, whether all its doctrines are correct or not, leads to Jesus.
Every church is of God.
Every church has made mistakes.

Care to rephrase that ?
It was no comprehendible.
donadams is saying that we must remain saved until our death.
We can decide, at any moment, to stop worshipping and serving God.
We can walk away from Jesus.
If you don't agree, I'll be happy to provide a few verses.

the word that the Catholics translate as "full of grace" in Luke 1:28 is kecharitōmenē....Strong's 5487 a verb, feminine singular form. That word also is used in Ephesians 1:6 : For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. (verses 4-6) the emboldened is Strong's 5487 a verb, third person singular form

So if it fair to say that Mary is full of grace because of the use of Strong's 5487 in Luke 1:28 then it is also fair to say that we all are full of grace because of the use of Strong's 5487 in Eph 1:6
Actually, Luke 1:28 states a greeting to Mary, which is more than a greeting but I can't remember why right now. It also means rejoice.
Then it says she is the favored one, or favored one. This from the NASB and other bibles I have including a Catholic one which is the same, BTW, except it has more books in it. 7 more.

The word in greek that you posted above indicates that when the angel visited Mary she was already full of grace because she was to be the the mother of Jesus and so had already been graced,,,,she was filled with divine life.

Here's my understanding,
Mary must be a specially favored one to be chosen to be the mother of Jesus.
We're all favored by God if we're children of God,,,,but is this greeting given to anyone else in the NT. I don't believe so.

John lept in the womb of Elizabeth when Mary greeted her cousin.
Elizabeth said Mary was blessed among women.

Mary has an unparalleled role and why we Protestants insist on downplaying it has always been a mystery to me.

Whatever leads to Jesus is of God.
Agreed.
The church, any Christian church, whether all its doctrines are correct or not, leads to Jesus.
If the doctrines are not correct, how can they be "of God" ?
God isn't using false doctrines for His glory.
Every church is of God.
You are mistaken.
Is the church of latter day saints, (mormons) "of God" ?
Is the church of Jehovah's witnesses "of God" ?
Every church has made mistakes.
Only the ones not rooted in God make doctrinal mistakes.
How can a "good tree" bring forth evil fruit ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back