Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How were you saved?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Whatever

I am having an argument with some on this Calvinism board that if I do not teach the 5 points when I witness to somebody for the first time, that I am ashamed of the gospel. I'm asking any of you (who accept Calvinism) who will answer, if you were saved by hearing Calvinist doctrine or if this is something that you either heard or learned later.

Is the simple message of
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
the wages of sin is death
You have sinned
Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
2 Cor 5:20 we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God

good enough at first or is it necessary to tell him "you must be one of the elect or you won't believe or some such thing also?

I got saved when The Lord moved on my heart and I genuinely repented. I’d been taught free will Pentecostal beliefs and some more thoughtful Calvinism from sproul etc and…
Honestly?!?! I kept talking to an elderly Pentecostal widow who just kept getting more and more angry and frustrated and radicalized by the Pentecostal Church of her area and…

Blah 😑 blah 😒 blah 😕 His word will not return void. Planting seeds should not involve heavy instruction in doctrine…

I was taught the Pentecostal stuff taught the Calvinist doctrine got genuinely saved…
And gradually transitioned into a more Calvinist view of the faith.

I am having an argument with some on this Calvinism board that if I do not teach the 5 points when I witness to somebody for the first time, that I am ashamed of the gospel. I'm asking any of you (who accept Calvinism) who will answer, if you were saved by hearing Calvinist doctrine or if this is something that you either heard or learned later.

Is the simple message of
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
the wages of sin is death
You have sinned
Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
2 Cor 5:20 we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God

good enough at first or is it necessary to tell him "you must be one of the elect or you won't believe or some such thing also?
None of this is the Gospel. Now God saving one of His elect isnt conditioned on anything they do, or believe, its totally of Grace. However the Gospel that converts Gods elect to the Truth is very detailed, it covers Salvation from a Eternal Perspective, A Legal Perspective, a Spiritual Perspective. It highlights the work of the Trinity in Salvation, the accomplishments of the Death of Christ. Neither is it a one time message, its ongoing, growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, its food for the regenerated.

I cannot tell you when the Lord saved me.

Raised RC, went to RC school, alter boy.

Mother took us to many churches as kids, Baptist, Pentecostal, etc.

Always heard the gospel even, especially in the fire and brimstone preaching.

I always believe God to be true and always tried to read the word.

I would say somewhere around 2005, I was in the penitentary and was reading the Psalms, I remember reading David praising God as His rock and forgiving sins. I believe it was at that moment on my knees, at the end of my life I asked the Lord for forgiveness. I do not really know if it was then or not.

Anyhow, I always believed God is sovereign, I did not choose to be saved, and He controls all things. Wether I have heard that preached in my former life or not I do not know.

There was a time after prison I was in a Christian (Pentecostal/charismatic) homeless shelter where I went through their program and lived there for about 2 years I believe. This is where I found out about Calvinism and the 5 points or Doctrines of Grace. There was a non-pentecostal teacher there who was very Reformed. We developed a relationship and talked about the 5 points many times. I recieved a book by someone called the Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink.

I understood what Pink was saying in this book and did not even question it. As I have stated earlier I have always believed the Doctrines of Grace.

There was a point in reading that book and studying the Scriptures that I was extremely humbled by the Lord, almost to the point that I was sick.

To this day, the Doctrines of Grace are the most humbling and comforting doctrines there are, and I keep coming back to them almost daily.

Praise you, my Lord and my God.

Last edited:
I was in unbelief. I started reading a bible to find the errors i thought were in it.
After 4 months I saw sinners get punished, Only Jesus can save sinners.
When I read Eph 1, I did not understand it all, but it was clear God predestined and saved people he elected.
I did not know any theology, I did not know anything about Calvin, Arminius,Pelagius for several years.

I underlined all the verses that spoke of elect, or chosen, before time. I was always certain that God was in complete control. Later I started to learn some of the terms, or positions.

if you were saved by hearing Calvinist doctrine
There is no verse stating any part of T.U.L.I.P. is necessary to be heard/believed in order to be saved.
That being said... you ask 10 people what they must believe/do to be saved and you will be 9 different answers.
The content of faith is simple enough that a child can enter the kingdom IMO.

Good Luck ... or ... fortunate predestination

There is no verse stating any part of T.U.L.I.P. is necessary to be heard/believed in order to be saved.
That being said... you ask 10 people what they must believe/do to be saved and you will be 9 different answers.
The content of faith is simple enough that a child can enter the kingdom IMO.

Good Luck ... or ... fortunate predestination
Isnt specifically for whom Christ died a part of the Gospel ? 1 Cor 15:3-4 Who does Paul mean when he wrote Christ died for OUR SINS according to the scriptures ?

I was in unbelief. I started reading a bible to find the errors i thought were in it.
After 4 months I saw sinners get punished, Only Jesus can save sinners.
When I read Eph 1, I did not understand it all, but it was clear God predestined and saved people he elected.
I did not know any theology, I did not know anything about Calvin, Arminius,Pelagius for several years.

I underlined all the verses that spoke of elect, or chosen, before time. I was always certain that God was in complete control. Later I started to learn some of the terms, or positions.
The elect even when they were in unbelief, Christ had died and put away their sins that condemned them, they were still Justified from sin while in unbelief because Christ had took their sins away before God.

Isnt specifically for whom Christ died a part of the Gospel ? 1 Cor 15:3-4 Who does Paul mean when he wrote Christ died for OUR SINS according to the scriptures ?
Well, Paul was writing: To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours. . . .

So he wasn't standing on a street corner preaching to a bunch of "whosoevers."

But in Matthew 11, after John the Baptists disciples talk to Jesus and then left, Jesus began talking to the multitudes that were there. At the end of the chapter Jesus says
Mat 11:28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

No mention of sheep or goats or elect, just all who labor and are heavy laden. I can say the same thing to everybody I meet. Deeper theology comes later.

Well, Paul was writing: To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours. . . .

So he wasn't standing on a street corner preaching to a bunch of "whosoevers."

But in Matthew 11, after John the Baptists disciples talk to Jesus and then left, Jesus began talking to the multitudes that were there. At the end of the chapter Jesus says
Mat 11:28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

No mention of sheep or goats or elect, just all who labor and are heavy laden. I can say the same thing to everybody I meet. Deeper theology comes later.
Then be specific, Christ died specifically for the Church of God

Acts 20:28

28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Eph 5:25
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Im sure when the Corinthians heard Paul say Christ died for our sins, they knew he wasnt talking about everybody in the world,
He told them they were chosen as well 1 Cor 1:26-28

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

Paul held nothing back to shun the counsel of God, Acts 20:24-27

24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.

26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.

27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

I dont believe a person preaches the Gospel without being specific about who Christ died for, but only a water down man pleasing version.

Whatever

Right before Jesus said that in Matt 11:28 He said this Matt 11:25-27

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.

27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

That showed forth discriminating Grace right there

That showed forth discriminating Grace right there
Yes, discriminating grace, but not discriminating proclamation of the gospel.

Mat 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Preach the gospel to everybody and let the Holy Spirit decide who hears and believes.
1Co 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

Act 13:48 Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

Apparently there were some there who were not appointed to eternal life in the crowd.

Yes, discriminating grace, but not discriminating proclamation of the gospel.

Mat 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Preach the gospel to everybody and let the Holy Spirit decide who hears and believes.
1Co 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

Act 13:48 Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

Apparently there were some there who were not appointed to eternal life in the crowd.
I disagree, discrminating Grace in Election and Particular Atonement are necessary Truths in witnessing the Gospel, to withhold them, is a false gospel,

Everyone that has knowledge (let's define "knowledge" as 100 items of theological knowledge) has preached a false gospel to some degree. Even Peter got reprimanded by Paul.
I preached a false gospel at one time, but God gave me repentance unto the acknowledging of the Truth. I use to preach that one must be water baptized in the name of jesus before they can get saved.

I dont consider myself a believer back then when I preached a false gospel, I thought i was, but i was deceived.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back