Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Being Against Tatoos the Law?

Should Christians Have Tatoos?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pontius Pilate (I wash my hands)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It's not the Baptist thing to do!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Church of the Enlightened Path does it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I love Fanny Crosby! Sometimes when I'm doing the worship service I have our music director do an all Crosby day, every hymn a Crosby hymn.

My favorites are "Pass Me Not O Gentle Savior", "Blessed Assurance", and "I Am Thine Oh Lord."
Thank you brother. That got me Googling several of her 8000+ songs that take a good portion of many Christian songbooks. Blind from near birth God had given her words of inspiration that just instilled heartfelt worship glorifying God. What a blessing she has been to my life pointing me to Jesus in song. I reckon she could have had tattoos all over as common on sailors of her day, though I doubt they would have been as effective. :)

I hear ya! Her hymns have that effecton me as well.

You can probably tell from my signature which of her hymns is my favorite. That hymn, when sung with real passion, is a powerful, powerful spiritual experience. I've been brought to my knees, weeping, at the altar more than once by it.

I can see that there does have to be some kind of restraint about tattoos (especially re. some of the more extreme sort that @Eugene has posted, which are not the norm at all)
I would think it is the norm for those that partake of them. I can see our buddy below received with rejoicing by our Lord in the presence of angels, and here you are saying he is extreme; oh my. That reminds me of Luke 18:11 ". .God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican;" maybe we could add purple inked men to the list. Try to think of it as if a little bit is good, a whole bunch is better. :)

body_piercing_40.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I can see that there does have to be some kind of restraint about tattoos (especially re. some of the more extreme sort that @Eugene has posted, which are not the norm at all)
I would think it is the norm for those that partake of them. I can see our buddy below received with rejoicing by our Lord in the presence of angels, and here you are saying he is extreme; oh my. That reminds me of Luke 18:11 ". .God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican;" maybe we could add purple inked men to the list. Try to think of it as if a little bit is good, a whole bunch is better. :)

body_piercing_40.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What is your point? :chin

Our friend that you have depicted above hardly seems similar to, e.g., someone simply with a Christian fish sign <>< on a wrist, etc.

I don't understand the point you are making.

Blessings.

My Christian spirit tells me that tattoos are wrong, its not a big sin but it doesn't please God

Our friend that you have depicted above hardly seems similar to, e.g., someone simply with a Christian fish sign <>< on a wrist, etc.
That's your opinion. I'd bet he would get more attention if that in any way is what someone with a tattoo is attempting to get, and here you are judging him as just another purple man or something. :lol

But, yes, indeed, we have a gloriously omnipotent God.

Indeed we do, but the thrust of my point was made when I tried to point to the flaw in your previous reasoning. You have stated that your belief and support is based on the possibility of being able to use what some (who may have shallow understandings) allege is an ungodly practice, termed "faith based tattoos". We (many here) have discussed how the Children of the Promise at the beginning and before crossing the Jordan were carefully instructed to not allow themselves to adopt the practices of the other nations, especially as they were seen to pay homage to gods other than God. Part of the prohibitions included looking like those who follow other Gods. Of those instructions, part included a negative command (mitzvot d'oraita and NOT mitzvot d'rabbanan meaning from God's mouth and not the mouth of a rabbi only) to not mark the body with things that looked like identifiers of dedication.

I've tried to point to this and the flaw in your side of the argument when you quoted, in defense, another part of our guiding light. You had mentioned that the Lord looks upon hearts, presumably to say that if a Christian's heart was to give godly witness to the goodness, greatness and/or forgiveness of the Lord, we too should look upon this heart with kindness. All this seems right on the face of it but when we dig just a little bit under the surface and try to examine what the Double-Edged Sword which is the word of trust actually states, we see that there, right there, where we are told that God looks upon hearts, we are also told that man look at appearances and oftentimes judges with an evil eye.

This being the case, and knowing that men are evil, can we really expect them to make that leap of faith all the way from self-condemnation and the rationalization, "Well, at least I'm not that bad... HEY! Look at that guy!" that broad and rather large leap, even as demonstrated here by those who do know our Father, God - who have eaten from the bread of life and who do understand his desire to forgive, can we expect more of the ungodly (who we try to witness to, with some degree of success more or less)? Or would we instead, consider it likely to have placed a familiar block of stumbling where the ungodly (but who may be religious-friendly) say, "Look! There goes another hypocrite!

If you were brought to the valley of decision where you were being asked to turn away from the fleshly gods that you love, and offered a chance of forgiveness by a representative of a Holy God who is utterly apart from sin and who tells His children to avoid even the mere appearance of evil, would you listen? Or would you jump on the chance to continue to judge by appearances and let what you see persuade you to shut the ear to truth, no matter the intention?

What say you?

If I may be permitted to reply to a question offered by myself, a thought comes to mind. There are many functions in the Body of Christ. What eye can say to the ear, I have no need of you?

SO there are those gifted with skills needed for watering. For where there is much forgiven, there is much love. Rivers of living water do not object to the dirt and silt that flows with and upon which they flow. That dirt and silt is deposited in the fertile delta regions where plants will, whose seeds are brought by the wind, be able to thrive there.

To some it is given to plant seeds, to others it is given to water the growing plants and to nurture them, and to others it is given to harvest. Planting comes with tears, harvest comes with joy. In the middle times, we find trials, the seeds become sprouts which become tender shoots that can not withstand the wind or extremes of temperatures. Some are gifted to shelter and protect and they must know what it means to desire shelter, to be able to run into the very name of Jesus, for His name is indeed a mighty tower.

Yet there are certain and very specific jobs that require a meticulous understanding of the purpose and plan of God. What plant does not wish to become mature? To be perfected? Toward that end must we all strive to build each other, to edify each other, to recall the long-suffering of God toward us, and as we know that His long-suffering is called our salvation, so also are we admonished to fill our conversations with grace (unmerited favor) so that our speech is seasoned and fit for consumption by all whom God loves.

Blessings, young plant of God, named farouk. You are being transplanted into a very cultivated garden, one where the very hand of God protects, for He has said that due to His love for you, He shall not allow the hand of another to teach or to reach.

My sheep know my voice and they shall not follow another. We join in our trust in Him who is merciful, just and true.

Thank-you ppl for the comments. I hadn't expected quite such a deep rationalization against a simple <>< on the wrist, etc. :chin Blessings.

Thank-you ppl for the comments. I hadn't expected quite such a deep rationalization against a simple <>< on the wrist, etc. Blessings.

I always expect but seldom find such blessings as an in depth attempt at the Word of Truth as we discuss such things as <>< and/or

... .... ~
... .... .{
______
______()

(smoke)

May we share the mind of Christ even as we are being formed? Might we hope for such things to continue? Remains to be seen, doesn't it?

Thank-you ppl for the comments. I hadn't expected quite such a deep rationalization against a simple <>< on the wrist, etc. Blessings.

I always expect but seldom find such blessings as an in depth attempt at the Word of Truth as we discuss such things as <>< and/or

... .... ~
... .... .{
______
______()

(smoke)

May we share the mind of Christ even as we are being formed? Might we hope for such things to continue? Remains to be seen, doesn't it?

Yes, I take your point. 'Oh may these hallowed pages be, My ever dear delight. And still new beauties may I see, And still increading light! (Anne Griffiths)

At the same time, for matters which aren't perceived as carrying a lot of doctrinal weight to them (views may differ whether tattoos are included here, I suppose), people will often just do things as a matter of course, in a matter of fact way. (E.g., Teen: "Hey, mom, can I have my ears pierced here at the mall?" "Oh okay honey!" [Click; click] "Okay; done!") I guess an 18 year old getting <>< on his or her wrist, ankle, etc. is not all that different, either.

But everyone is different. Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
But everyone is different. Blessings.

:nod Agreed. We have promises of great things to be done. The Holy Spirit works to join us 'fitly' one to another. Can he? Will he?

Somebody recently prayed a prayer that stupefied me. I like talking about it and hope that others can join in my amazement as we continue to look unto God for His salvation, His unbounded grace, and yes, His power to be seen among us.
:pray Here below is the prayer, offered by the wife and help-meet of a brother who has been blessed by God when she was added to him: I would ask you, farouk, personally (as well as everyone who is blessed to partake) to follow along with me and fit yourself in as the one being prayed for, the one for whom there is a earnest desire and outstretched arms toward –not only by Paul but also by the wife of a brother on this forum [unnamed now but honored here and known of God], but also by Christ Jesus– even as this thought, this prayer is spoken over you, over us and over this forum:

[Eph 3:8-19 YLT]

... To me [Paul the Apostle to the Gentiles, and also to her, the wife of a brother who joined her voice to his, and now also to Sparrow, a man named after a bird] –the less than the least of all the saints– was given this grace, among the nations to proclaim good news -- the untraceable riches of the Christ,
and to cause all to see what [is] the fellowship of the secret that hath been hid from the ages in God, who the all things did create by Jesus Christ, that there might be made known now to the principalities and the authorities in the heavenly [places], through the assembly, the manifold wisdom of God, according to a purpose of the ages, which He made in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have the freedom and the access in confidence through the faith of him,​

Wherefore, I ask [you] not to faint in my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
of whom the whole family in the heavens and on earth is named,
that He may give to you, according to the riches of His glory, with might to be strengthened through His Spirit, in regard to the inner man,
that the Christ may dwell through the faith in your hearts, in love having been rooted and founded,
that ye may be in strength to comprehend, with all the saints, what [is] the breadth, and length, and depth, and height,
to know also the love of the Christ that is exceeding the knowledge, that ye may be filled -- to all the fulness of God;​

Are you still with me?

Are we walking above the waters, eyes focused on Jesus who has beckoned and drawn us to walk there with Him? Have our eyes looked down at our circumstance and have we, even as we look away been caught by the glance to our situation and might we be heard to exclaim, "What? Is this about me? May I truly be shown the breadth, and length and depth and height, and caused to know also the love of The Christ?"

The Spirit Holy said:
that ye may be filled -- to all the fulness of God;

:shocked! Catch your breath, look to God and hear further what the Holy Spirit has declared through the prayers of that one named Paul, through the prayer offered for us, for this forum and by the Holy Spirit. "That ye may be in strength to comprehend, with all the saints," to be caused to feel the strength of His hand, catching us, preventing us from a watery grave for we have indeed called upon the Name of the One whose name is rightly said to be a tower of strength, a defense and a sure and mighty refuge...

[Eph 3:20-21 YLT]... and to Him
who is able above all things to do exceeding abundantly what we ask or think, according to the power that is working in us,​
to Him [is] the glory in the assembly in Christ Jesus, to all the generations of the age of the ages. Amen.

BibleGateWay from Book to Ephesians Quoted as true here and there.

To Him be the glory forever and ever amen.

Shall we, may we, have we been jointly fit together for this purpose?

We may have, yes. We may rightly have been called to Sanctify God in our hearts by the very man who physically walked on water in 1 Peter 3:14,15,16, to go together in brotherly love and unity of the spirit, for it is truly said, "Not by strength, not by might... " and in another place, "The anger or wrath of man shall not accomplish the glory of God."

Be ye also sanctified and set apart for service rendered unto God, becoming His Holy instrument for this is the command that I long to hear, and to receive, that command that I want to be able to say again and again, given personally to me, and to thee, this; "I command you" this mizpah, Given in heart, in truth and by His touch: That we may become Whole-hearted, no longer double minded for let not that man think he shall receive anything from the Lord, yes(!) even while longing for perfection, while yet unmatured, we glance to Him who is able. Unbow yourself, lift up your eyes, and be fitted one unto another in the assembly as we together cast eyes to Him is exceedingly abundantly able....

I call to the winds to witness these things as they are performed, not by me, not by thee, but by He who is worthy and longing for that time shown from that dawning unto that twilight and that dawning yet again, from the beginning throughout the end, from the alpha to the omega and for every letter in between, heralded and sung in secret as well a shouted on the rooftops, hidden and revealed to and by saints young and old, poor and rich, loved and despised, for each whose foot is planted on the Way established for us by the Waymaker who is the Lord.

And I guess you're not...

:toofunny

I know youse ain't asking for the official party line, 'cause you know it better than I do... but thanks for the joke. I likes to chuckle bemusedly to self sometimes.

Actually, this thread has run it's course and it's been a good run too. [MENTION=92945]allenwynne[/MENTION] , the OP, time to close maybe?

I have a tattoo which I got in my late 20's so there's nothing that can be done about it now.

If you want to, there is something you can do about it, at least, if it doesn't cover a huge part of your body. I knew a man many years ago who had gotten a tattoo of a naked lady on his arm when he was younger. After he got saved, it really bothered him and he went to a doctor to ask if anything could be done. What they did was to simply remove the skin from his arm, along with the tattoo and graft new skin there instead.
The TOG

OW! :crying
[MENTION=92945]allenwynne[/MENTION]:

OW indeed; are such drastic measures really necessary? :chin

Blessings.

[MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]: So how's your brother doing now? is he feeling less sore after going under the inking needle?

Blessings.

I have a tattoo which I got in my late 20's so there's nothing that can be done about it now.

If you want to, there is something you can do about it, at least, if it doesn't cover a huge part of your body. I knew a man many years ago who had gotten a tattoo of a naked lady on his arm when he was younger. After he got saved, it really bothered him and he went to a doctor to ask if anything could be done. What they did was to simply remove the skin from his arm, along with the tattoo and graft new skin there instead.
The TOG

OW! :crying
[MENTION=92945]allenwynne[/MENTION]:

OW indeed; are such drastic measures really necessary? :chin

Blessings.

It depends on the tattoo. Drastic measures would be called for in some cases. A considerable amount of skin might have to be removed from this guy, for example.
The TOG
View attachment 3577

mygraine said:
The area in which I live, >16000 people, has five tattoo shops. Of the five, three are owned by women, of those three, two are owned and operated by Christians. So the thought of Christian women with tattoos is just how it is. My wife is no longer intimidated by the whole dark alley tat shop scene. When the artist is a Christian woman, it makes it more accessible for other Christian women. ..
My wife had tatts before Christ.. She states that she prefers the idea of an artist with a set of morals similar to our own. We are friends with two female tattoo artists .. For my wife it seems to come down to the money, she may get more later, as the finances become available

This quote from back a bit seems quite sensible. No one needs to get tattooed, but it can be useful just to remember how widespread the practice is among Christians, before coming to any premature conclusion.

Blessings.

No one needs to get one. Before folk get too critical, just as well to bear in mind also that some regular posters here who have a rather Godly view of things generally don't find the practice problematic:

handy said:
This is a great example of how different Christians react to different things. While I would never get a tattoo, I don't have a problem with the idea of a Christian woman getting one on her ankle, calf, shoulder or arms... just not that big a deal to me.

for his glory said:
The gender aspect should be the same for a women or a man, but since you did say a women then I would have no problem with that of a women owning her own parlor, but needs to be discreet.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back