Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is GOD FAIR!!!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Is GOD FAIR!!!​

It depends upon one's perspective.

The default human standard would have God make each individual the same with the ability to self-determine. This is not the case. For example, some of born deaf or blind or poor or stupid or etc. and others are not. Similarly, our will is not self designed; one cannot start with no knowledge and self-design one's will. Your will is created by Another.

The true standard it that God is the Potter and we are the clay and God as owner and creator has the right to create as He pleases and this is "FAIR".

Let me pose a question: Would it be fair for God to impose (1) set of laws on one child, and a different set of laws on another child and BOTH children receive the SAME reward?

What do you mean by "fair"? And why come to conclusions about God's fairness by way of a hypothetical?

Would YOU want to be judged by a judge like that? Abraham asked that same question of the ONLY ONE who would judge:

Gen.18
[25] That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

Is God a respecter of persons?

I see. Well, let me check out the context of this verse:

Genesis 18:22-33
22 Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, while Abraham was still standing before the LORD.
23 Abraham came near and said, "Will You indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked?
24 "Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; will You indeed sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous who are in it?
25 "Far be it from You to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and the wicked are treated alike. Far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?"
26 So the LORD said, "If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare the whole place on their account."
27 And Abraham replied, "Now behold, I have ventured to speak to the Lord, although I am but dust and ashes.
28 "Suppose the fifty righteous are lacking five, will You destroy the whole city because of five?" And He said, "I will not destroy it if I find forty-five there."
29 He spoke to Him yet again and said, "Suppose forty are found there?" And He said, "I will not do it on account of the forty."
30 Then he said, "Oh may the Lord not be angry, and I shall speak; suppose thirty are found there?" And He said, "I will not do it if I find thirty there."
31 And he said, "Now behold, I have ventured to speak to the Lord; suppose twenty are found there?" And He said, "I will not destroy it on account of the twenty."
32 Then he said, "Oh may the Lord not be angry, and I shall speak only this once; suppose ten are found there?" And He said, "I will not destroy it on account of the ten."
33 As soon as He had finished speaking to Abraham the LORD departed, and Abraham returned to his place.

I'm not really seeing how what God did here in agreeing to spare Sodom for the sake of ten righteous people demonstrates unfairness on His part. It seems to me God demonstrated remarkable mercy and forbearance, not unfairness. Why would any righteous person be dwelling in Sodom? It's this very question, I think, that was at the back of Abraham's haggling with God. He knew, just as God did, that there weren't fifty, or twenty, or even ten righteous people in Sodom. The city was wholly given over to vile wickedness, as Jude explained:

Jude 1:7
7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

And so, in the end, Sodom was not spared. God burned it to ash with divine fire - a testament to the fact that not even ten righteous people dwelled in the wicked city.

If you believe God is fair and not a respecter of persons, how can He say to the Jews keep my laws and if you do not you will be punished, but to the Gentiles, you do not have to keep my laws, as a matter of fact, I will still reward you even if you do not keep my laws. I will give the Gentiles the SAME reward as the Jews, but you Gentiles are free from the law!

Both get to enter into God's kingdom, but some HAD to keep the Law, while others did not!

Is that a righteous judge? Is that a Fair judge?

??? No Jew living today in the era of the New Covenant has to keep the laws of ceremony and separation that governed the lives of OT Israelites. All such laws are done away with in Christ.

Romans 7:4-6
4 Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.
5 For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.
6 But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

(Read also: Hebrews 9-10:22, Galatians 3-6).

Where, then, is this unfairness you're talking about? Jew and Gentile enter God's kingdom and family and enjoy eternal reward on the exact same basis: By being "in Christ." (2 Corinthians 5:17; Romans 13:14; Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 1:1-13, Acts 4:12; John 14:6, etc.)

Is GOD FAIR!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me pose a question: Would it be fair for God to impose (1) set of laws on one child, and a different set of laws on another child and BOTH children receive the SAME reward?

Would it be fair of God to tell one child they cannot do something and if they don't do it, they will be rewarded, while the other child is able to DO that which his brother CANNOT but he still receives the same reward as his brother that could not?

Would YOU want to be judged by a judge like that? Abraham asked that same question of the ONLY ONE who would judge:

Gen.18
[25] That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

Is God a respecter of persons?

Acts 10
[34] Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

If you believe God is fair and not a respecter of persons, how can He say to the Jews keep my laws and if you do not you will be punished, but to the Gentiles, you do not have to keep my laws, as a matter of fact, I will still reward you even if you do not keep my laws. I will give the Gentiles the SAME reward as the Jews, but you Gentiles are free from the law!

Both get to enter into God's kingdom, but some HAD to keep the Law, while others did not!

Is that a righteous judge? Is that a Fair judge?
I think the question that should be asked is who defines what is fair and what is not? When we impose our definition, we are making ourselves to be gods. This is our problem and it goes all the way back to Genesis 3 when the serpent asked Eve, "Has God really said....?" (Genesis 3:1) and then went on to present her with the temptation, "God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God..." (Genesis 3:5).

God is the potter (Creator) and we are merely the clay (created). It is not our place to determine what is and what is not fair when it comes to God. That's where our problem lies. We refuse to acknowledge that God is supreme above all and to submit to His authority and power.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?”
20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?”
21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

Romans 9:19-21 NKJV

I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.
Exodus 33:19 NKJV

And again....
14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means!
15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”
16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

Romans 9:14-16 ESV

Back