Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Marriage supper of the Lamb, what's on the menu?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

xymox

How does Revelation describe the marriage supper?

Rev 19:9-18
9 Then he said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding feast of the Lamb.’” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”
17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice, saying to all the birds that fly in midheaven, “Come, assemble for the great feast of God, so that you may eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of commanders, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them, and the flesh of all people, both free and slaves, and small and great.”

Why was I taught to envision something like an endless buffet and giant charcuterie board?

Discuss!

9 Then he said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding feast of the Lamb.’” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”
17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice, saying to all the birds that fly in midheaven, “Come, assemble for the great feast of God, so that you may eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of commanders, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them, and the flesh of all people, both free and slaves, and small and great.”

Why was I taught to envision something like an endless buffet and giant charcuterie board?

Discuss!
Do you really think the marriage feast of the Lord is the same as the feast the birds are called to ?
I don't think that at all.

So many add to what is not even written in scripture as the word supper, as in a meal, is not found in those scriptures, but we have always been taught it's going to be a hugh buffet of food.

Rev 19:6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
Rev 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Right before Christ returns the great harlot and mystery Babylon will be destroyed, Rev 17, 18. The marriage supper of the Lamb follows after this with Christ returning in the air with His army of angels who are the host of heaven, Rev 19:11-14. He sends them out to the four corners of the earth to gather all who are dead and still alive at His coming that are His own as we are then gathered up in the clouds to meet Him in the air, Matthew 24:29-31; 1 Corinthians 15:51-57; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

There is no mention of a marriage supper, but only says for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. Meaning the dead in Christ and those still alive at His coming will be caught up to Christ as described in Matthew 24:29-31; John 5:28,29; 6:40; 1 Corinthians 15:51-58 and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. The timing has finally come as those who are Christ own through the Spiritual rebirth from above, John 3:5-7, Romans 10:9, 10, have endured all things of this earth as they have overcome all the trials and temptations through Christ who overcame the world, John 16:33 will now see the kingdom of God.

John falls at the feet of this angel, but the angel instructs him to not worship him, but worship the one being God in whom Jesus is that spirit of prophecy that John is receiving through this angel while he is on the isle of Patmos as a prisoner of the Roman guard for preaching the gospel to the seven churches in Asia.

Sorry I tried to delete my post #3, but time ran out. Here is my rewrite.

IMO, I think the word supper to be that of just the gathering of God's own like a family gathering for supper, but not that of actual food like a giant buffet of whatever one wants to eat, but that of a feast of love. What we will be dining on is the presence of the Lord face to face as we are arrayed in fine linen, clean and white for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. Supper could be symbolic of the joyful, intimate and the eternal fellowship between us and Jesus.

Rev 19:6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
Rev 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Right before Christ returns the great harlot and mystery Babylon will be destroyed, Rev 17, 18. The marriage supper of the Lamb follows after this with Christ returning in the air with His army of angels who are the host of heaven, Rev 19:11-14. He sends them out to the four corners of the earth to gather all who are dead and still alive at His coming that are His own as we are then gathered up in the clouds to meet Him in the air, Matthew 24:29-31; 1 Corinthians 15:51-57; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

For the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. Meaning the dead in Christ and those still alive at His coming will be caught up to Christ as described in Matthew 24:29-31; John 5:28,29; 6:40; 1 Corinthians 15:51-58 and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. The timing has finally come as those who are Christ own through the Spiritual rebirth from above, John 3:5-7, Romans 10:9, 10, have endured all things of this earth as they have overcome all the trials and temptations through Christ who overcame the world, John 16:33 will now see the kingdom of God.

John falls at the feet of this angel, but the angel instructs him to not worship him, but worship the one being God in whom Jesus is that spirit of prophecy that John is receiving through this angel while he is on the isle of Patmos as a prisoner of the Roman guard for preaching the gospel to the seven churches in Asia.

Discuss!
See, the angel of the Lord standing in the sun. Why in the sun? It is an allegory, understand? The answer is: Revelation 12:1--> And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, ... The woman is the Church of the LORD - Jewish and Gentiles/GOD's people, Ephesians 1:3-8 - and the angel of the Lord is among them saying: to all the birds (to all the people of GOD) that fly in midheaven-Ephesians 1:3-8.
Who is the angel of the Lord, would not be him, Michael the arcangel-Daniel 12:1 combined with 1Thes.4:15-16? By the way, the same which appeared to Joshua? Joshua 5:10-15
10 And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at even in the plains of Jericho.

11 And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day.

12 And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.

13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?

14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the Lord am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?

15 And the captain of the Lord's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

The verse still says: “Come, assemble for the great feast of GOD, so that you may eat...

Revelation 11:15-18: -->15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven(Ephesians 1:3-8), saying, The kingdoms OF THIS WORLD are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

Speaking of GOD's people in heaven-Ephesians 1:3-8, here's a video:

Service held at the Temple of the Assembly of God - São Paulo - Brazil

Hymn sung by the Church - Aspiration for communion with GOD
Hymn: --> Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross - The Baptist Hymnal No. 280

In Portuguese language: "Ao pé da cruz" - Christian Harp - Hymn 289

Here goes the video:

May our Lord GOD bless and keep His Church, His people, and give us His protection
Amen

Do you really think the marriage feast of the Lord is the same as the feast the birds are called to ?
I don't think that at all.
Yes, I do. It is in the same part of the vision. If it weren't for John getting distracted worshipping the angel, then it would have immediately followed that heaven opened, Jesus appeared, and dinner was served. All in the same sequence of events.

I am curious about what you think it will be like and why?

Yes, I do. It is in the same part of the vision. If it weren't for John getting distracted worshipping the angel, then it would have immediately followed that heaven opened, Jesus appeared, and dinner was served. All in the same sequence of events.
John's guide seems to end his oration in verse 9, with..."And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God."
I see verse 11 starting an entirely new phase of Rev 19.
I am curious about what you think it will be like and why?
By "it", do you mean the feast ?
As the words of Rev 19's feast are all very symbolic to begin with, I don't think any of it is literal.
The "wife" of v7 is the church by Christ Jesus.
Why would the church eat v19's kings of the earth and their armies ?
They have been offered to v18's fowls of the air.

17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice, saying to all the birds that fly in midheaven, “Come, assemble for the great feast of GOD ...
What does the Word of GOD reveal: The Word is GOD, self-executing, understand?
Isaiah 60:1-5 & 8: --> 1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee. 2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth(Israel, the clay-Is.64:8 combined with Genesis 1:9), and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee. 3 And the Gentiles(the waters-Genesis 1:9 combined with Revelation 17:15) shall come to thy light, and kings(Revelation 1:6) to the brightness of thy rising.

4 Lift up thine eyes round about, and see: all they gather themselves together, they come to thee: thy sons shall come from far, and thy daughters shall be nursed at thy side.

5 Then thou shalt see, and flow together, and thine heart shall fear, and be enlarged; because the abundance of the sea (abundance of the waters/peoples. nations, and multitudes of all tongues-Revelation 17:15) shall be converted unto thee, the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee.
8 Who are these that FLY as a cloud, and as the doves to their windows?

Revelation 12:10-14 that was written about 60/65 years after JESUS ascension, help us to understand the prophecies of Isaiah above described:

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven
(heaven? Ephesians 1:3-8), Now is come salvation, and strength, and the KINGDOM OF OUR GOD(Revelation 11:15-18 combined with 1Corinthians 15:24-26 and Luke 20:35-36.Take a look), and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our GOD day and night.

11 And they overcame him by the BLOOD of the Lamb, and by the Word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens(the celestial environment of the OT and NT-Ephesians 1:3-8), and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth(Israel, the clay-Is.64:8-the dry land-Genesis 1:9)and of the sea(waters-Gentile nations-Revelation 17:15)! for the Devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
13 And when the dragon(Revelation 12:9) saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

14 And to the woman(to the Church of the Lord) were given two WINGS(OT and NT-the Bible) of a great eagle, that she might FLY into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished(by the Word of GOD, the Word is GOD) for a time, and times, and half a time(1260 days, caught up), from the face of the serpent.

There will be WAR against three unclean spirits like frogs-Revelation 16:13-15- , and one of the seven heads of the Beast of sea(waters-Revelation 17:15) will be wounded mortally.(Revelation 13:3).. By the way, the next Pope is the lasst to be elected.

Be careful and get ready

John 20: 1-22

20 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.

4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.

5 And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.

6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,

7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.

9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.

11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,

12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.

14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Spirit:

Back