Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Modern Apostles??

huh

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I never thought about it. Maybe I'm nieve............?

If there were, who would they be? Could you name a few you would consider to be Apostles?

There are two types of apostle in the New testament.

The Apostles of the lamb, or Apostles of Christ. The qualification for this type of Apostolship is laid out in the Book of Acts:
Ac 1:22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

As we see, such Apostles could only exist in the first century of the church!

The second types are Apostles of the Church. These are men sent as emissaries of the gospel in order to plant churches. The latter are not equal in stature to the former. Sadly many of the so-called Modern Apostles believe that somehow they are the same as Apostles of the lamb!

Scripture warns us against such:
2Co 11:12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Scofield said:
Do you believe in modern apostles?

Howdy, Mr. Schofield! It's been a while!

I voted NO because by a strict definition, we Catholics reserve the word "apostle" to those where chosen by Jesus in the New Testament. In other words, the last of the apostles died with the death of John.

Timothy, for example, was not choosen by Christ, he being a diciple of Paul, yet he is a successor to the apostles by a "laying of on hands" thus making him a bishop, but he is not an apostle.

I have no objections to the use of "apostle" loosely as a discription of one who preaches theh gospel with great zeal, so long as it is a figure of speech that does not equate the person with the apostles of the New Testament.

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Christus Vincit! Christus Regnat! Christus Imperat!

Hay Bill,

Those who see themselves as apostles or the succors of the apostles with the same power are: the pope, cardinals, bishops, and priests. Names of prots Benny Hinn, Kenneth Haggen, Finnis Dake, etc.

In this line of thinking what is the scope of power that these “modern apostles†have?

Pro 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Are you saying your open minded? Then why post sarcasm…sarcasm is a defensive response for most people, how about you? If you on the defense how can you claim to be open minded, for defensiveness means your defending something.

I'm not close minded but certain of what I believe and that’s the difference between you and I.

Scofield said:
Pro 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Are you saying your open minded? Then why post sarcasm…sarcasm is a defensive response for most people, how about you? If you on the defense how can you claim to be open minded, for defensiveness means your defending something.

I'm not close minded but certain of what I believe and that’s the difference between you and I.

Sarcasm? Defensive?

You asked me why I was on this thread. I told you.

:angel:

"...whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." Matt 5:22

Scofield said:
Pro 4:24 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.

Yep, go put your head in the sands. :lol:

One more time...

Scofield said:
One more time...

Sarcasm is funny. I like funny.

Yeah, I'm open-minded.

Scofield said:
Hay Bill,

Those who see themselves as apostles or the succors of the apostles with the same power are: the pope, cardinals, bishops, and priests. Names of prots Benny Hinn, Kenneth Haggen, Finnis Dake, etc.

In this line of thinking what is the scope of power that these “modern apostles†have?

I don't know about Benny Hinn, Kenneth Haggen and others I do not recognise, but at least the others you mentioned do not call themselves apostles. I don't know of any of them claiming the same "powers" of an apostle, since at least they do not consider their writings as divinely inspired scripture, whereas the writings of the apostles are so considered. Other then that, I really do not know of what other "powers" the apostles had, other then any special "charismatic gifts" God may have given them.

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Regina Angelorum, ora pro nobis!

...but at least the others you mentioned do not call themselves apostles.

Why or how do they call themselves apostles and lack the same gifts? If they are indeed apostle then there writings would be inspired as the 12 original apostles are…wouldn’t it makes sense that they fit the same mold?

Scofield said:
...but at least the others you mentioned do not call themselves apostles.

Why or how do they call themselves apostles and lack the same gifts? If they are indeed apostle then there writings would be inspired as the 12 original apostles are…wouldn’t it makes sense that they fit the same mold?

Schofield, you misunderstood what I said.

The pope, his cardinals, bishops and even priests do not consider themselves apostles, because they are outside of the apostolic era, they were not hand-picked by Christ to be among his original 12.

Again, the only apostles we know of were the original 12, Mathias who replaced Judas, and Paul, whom Christ picked from heaven.

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Regina Angelorum, ora pro nobis!

I apologize Bill, I must have missed it. What does it mean to be apart of the “apostolic church†if the Catholic Church doesn’t have apostles leading it? Couldn’t the claim be made for any church with even the thinnest lines of succession?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back