Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Need help answering question for fireq

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Taafe

2024 Supporter
I'm out at the moment so I don't have enough time to write but when I told him the Jesus is true he basically said “If there was god my sister would be here still”

His sister died of cancer at 38 and I don't know how to respond.

What can I tell him?

I'm out at the moment so I don't have enough time to write but when I told him the Jesus is true he basically said “If there was god my sister would be here still”

What can I tell him?

Logically the Q would be whether human death denies that deity is. Would my entire family being vaporised by nuclear war, deny E=MC2? But no matter how reasonable it is to accept that cats exist, if you are a mouse you might prefer not to be reasonable (Atheism is a safe sunless haven). As to human death, we all die (circumstances of age and pain vary), and after that the judgement. The lass who died might now be enjoying life with God far better than she ever enjoyed life on earth. For me, the facts of the Big Bang and of Evolution, reasonably point to deity beyond creation and creating within. But there are many non-reasonable ways into theism in general and Christianity in particular (eg sehnsucht; miracle). Us mice can come to love the cat.

What can I tell him?

Emotion is not often very rational. Emotion certainly doesn't always reflect truth well, either. And so, it can be very difficult to speak the truth to someone who is so emotionally wound-up. They want something that addresses their emotion, not something of the mind, something rational. What they need, though, regardless of their feelings, is the truth.

What is the truth in regards to your friend? That the death of his sister in no way proves Jesus is not true (though, I'm not sure what "Jesus is not true" means...). What makes your friend think that the death of his sister proves "Jesus is not true"?

God gives life without asking our permission and He has the right as the Giver of All Life to be the Taker of it, too. And God takes the life He gives when it suits Him to do so, our permission to take life of no concern to Him whatever. This is, in part, what it means for God to be God.

What can I tell him?
Hello Taafe.
Tell him the saddest day of my life was when my daughter died at 29.

Tell him any human parent who loves their child(ren) desires that live to never end and thank God it doesn't. 🙂

Tell him Jesus died around age 33 (5 years younger than his sister.) Only the cancer that killed our dear Lord was the hate man has for God.

Thank you and God bless for your daughter. I really couldn't imagine the pain you went through.

He's totally against God but his heart has really hardened since his sister passed.

Emotion is not often very rational. Emotion certainly doesn't always reflect truth well, either. And so, it can be very difficult to speak the truth to someone who is so emotionally wound-up. They want something that addresses their emotion, not something of the mind, something rational. What they need, though, regardless of their feelings, is the truth.

What is the truth in regards to your friend? That the death of his sister in no way proves Jesus is not true (though, I'm not sure what "Jesus is not true" means...). What makes your friend think that the death of his sister proves "Jesus is not true"?

God gives life without asking our permission and He has the right as the Giver of All Life to be the Taker of it, too. And God takes the life He gives when it suits Him to do so, our permission to take life of no concern to Him whatever. This is, in part, what it means for God to be God.
I understand what you are saying and I agree 100% but im trying to think of something to say that doesn't anger him.

I understand what you are saying and I agree 100% but im trying to think of something to say that doesn't anger him.
Sounds like he's already angered and at this time is taking it out on God. God can handle it. We live in a fallen world and bad things happen due to the sin that has entered. What he really needs to understand is that God is there with open arms waiting to give him peace and comfort when he's ready to accept it.

Jesus said,
28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Matthew 11:28-29 NKJV

What can I tell him?
Taafe, first I am sorry for your friend's sister.

38 years is enough time to live a full life. School, marriage, children are all achievable within 38 years. If she had children in her 20s, then she saw them through most of their formative years.

As for when God calls a person home, it is not for us to say. God could very well have called this lady home as an act of mercy. Which is better, alive and well in paradise, or alive on earth and everyday suffering excruciating pain and effects of radiation with no chance of getting better.

Love for a sister makes us ask, "Why God?"

Love for His children let's God say, "Come home."

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Thank you and God bless for your daughter. I really couldn't imagine the pain you went through.
Thank you much. It's worse than anything I've felt. It's also why I'm thankful I'll see her again without sickness.
Some cancers are thought to be the result of
living in an area where the environment was polluted with chemicals.
He's totally against God but his heart has really hardened since his sister passed.
Yeah see that's how you know he's probably never heard or understood the gospel. God surely loves our family members more than we do. He loved people who planned and carried out His murder.

It's a terrible thing to see loved ones suffer through no fault of their own. It really goes back to the false idea that, "If God was good there would be no suffering."

There may be many purposes why one individual goes through pain l know Jesus had billions of reasons and never should have felt pain a day in His life. I know that very gently shut my mouth.

I’m a new Christian and the main reason why I didn’t think we had a loving God is because of all the evil and death around us.
But now I understand that God loves us more than anything.
As humans we have a shared suffering that we all experience at many points in our lives. The only way through it is our love and trust in the Lord.
My friend and his wife at church have had 3 miscarriages and 1 stillborn and I always think how do they cope and yet the love and praise they give to our God at worship is awe inspiring.

Reactions: WIP
Taafe, first I am sorry for your friend's sister.

38 years is enough time to live a full life. School, marriage, children are all achievable within 38 years. If she had children in her 20s, then she saw them through most of their formative years.

As for when God calls a person home, it is not for us to say. God could very well have called this lady home as an act of mercy. Which is better, alive and well in paradise, or alive on earth and everyday suffering excruciating pain and effects of radiation with no chance of getting better.

Love for a sister makes us ask, "Why God?"

Love for His children let's God say, "Come home."

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

The only certainty on God's earth is death, yet most of us question it every single time especially if we think they have been taken too soon.

And even though I know this myself I still question it when I hear of someone's loss. 🤔

The only certainty on God's earth is death, yet most of us question it every single time especially if we think they have been taken too soon.
I think this is an important consideration. We never know when our time has come. It could be before I finish typing this for all I know. For this reason, we must always be ready. Are you ready? Here are a couple things Scripture says about this.

1 “Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.
2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise.
3 For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them,
4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps.
5 As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept.
6 But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’
7 Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’
9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’
10 And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut.
11 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’
12 But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour."
Matthew 25:1-13 NKJV

16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully.
17 And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’
18 So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry." ’
20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

21 So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
Luke 12:16-21 NKJV

Thank you! I’ve read the Gospels but I don’t understand the parable of the 10 virgins and the bridegroom. Please can you explain briefly what is actually means?

Sorry if this is obvious I’ve only just become a follower of Christ and I’m currently working my way through the whole Bible.

Thank you! I’ve read the Gospels but I don’t understand the parable of the 10 virgins and the bridegroom. Please can you explain briefly what is actually means?

Sorry if this is obvious I’ve only just become a follower of Christ and I’m currently working my way through the whole Bible.
There are no dumb questions. The parable of the 10 virgins are a continuation of a theme that started in Matthew 24:36. I urge you to start reading there.

He's talking about always being prepared. Prepared for what? Prepared for when our time has come. It is foolish to think we can live our lives in sinful rebellion and expect that at the last minute speak some prayer or request forgiveness and it be granted. Our lives - the way we live, the way we talk, the way we think - all project what is truly in our hearts. Like Jesus said, "Those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man." (Matthew 15:18-20 NKJV) We aught to live every minute of every day as if it is our last because we, like those 10 virgins, do not know at what hour, minute, or second our time will come to stand before the throne of judgement and give a reckoning (Matthew 25:31-46).

Remember, there's a difference between believing and really believing. What I mean is Satan and all his demons believe all too well and yet none of them will be saved because despite their belief in God, they remain in rebellion. We must put our trust, faith, and love - all of it - in God. This is the greatest commandment. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength (Mark 12:30) even more that we love our parents, brothers, sisters, children, and yes even our own lives (Matthew 10:37-39).

So, in the parable of the 10 virgins only five of them were truly prepared to meet the groom.

I hope this helps.

My Younger brother blamed me for my dad's death in 2011. I didn't respond to it. Human side does funny things.
Any one who claims to be Christian, has to grow up.
Jeremiah chapter 18 . Potter and the clay. God only works with soft clay. It can be marred and molded. Fit for service.
But hard clay God can't use. It's not pliable. Hard clay won't submit to God's will.
Some people don't mature. They are stagnant. Thier spirtual baby's.

There are some people you cant reach. They are set in their ways, and hard headed.

My advice. I would avoid the topic.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back