Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sabbath Linked Scriptures

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Greetings Walter and Debbie,
  • Luke 4:16. 16 He went to Nazareth, where he had …
  • Mark 2:27. 27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath …
  • Matthew 24:20. 20 Pray that your flight will not …
  • Revelation 1:10. 10 On the Lord’s Day I was in the …
Christ is the True Sabbath Rest Matthew 11:25-30, Hebrews 4.

Kind regards
Trevor

Here is another quote from a scientific article.

Mammalian pineal gland: 7-Day Rhythmic Activity In their
researchon rats at London University in 1975, Vollrath, et al. [1]
confirmed the fact that the mammalian Pineal Gland undergoes
prominent circadian changes in function, which are quite dependent
on environmental lighting conditions. They reported that there are
indications which suggest that the Pineal Gland of rats kept in their
laboratories exhibited in addition to 24 hour cycles, characteristic
7-day cycles. It was unclear to them whether the rhythms were
caused by internal or external factors and whether the rhythm was
just a peculiarity of rats kept under environmental conditions of
their laboratory. The finding that concerns us for the purposes of this
discussion however, is that HIOMT enzyme activity under natural
lighting conditions was HIGHEST on Saturdays and lowest on
Thursdays; the Thursday values being six times lower than those on
Saturdays. A gradual decrease in enzyme activity was noted between
Saturdays and Thursdays. A striking increase occurred between
Fridays and Saturdays.

Greetings Gary K,
God created us with seven day biological rhythms. These are irrefutable evidence of creation and our need of the Sabbath.
There is no Scriptural evidence that the Gentile believers now are under a mandatory Sabbath Law. They worship God 7 days a week and they find their rest in Christ, the true Sabbath Matthew 11:25-30 and Hebrews 4. Consider also 2 Corinthians 3 which contrasts the New Covenant with the Old Covenant, which Paul calls the ministration of death because no one could keep the Law.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings Gary K,

There is no Scriptural evidence that the Gentile believers now are under a mandatory Sabbath Law. They worship God 7 days a week and they find their rest in Christ, the true Sabbath Matthew 11:25-30 and Hebrews 4. Consider also 2 Corinthians 3 which contrasts the New Covenant with the Old Covenant, which Paul calls the ministration of death because no one could keep the Law.

Kind regards
Trevor
What's that have to do with what I posted about the circaceptian cycles?

Sounds to me like you want to deny the truth of the circaceptian cycles in our bodies by changing the subject.

Greetings again Gary K,
What's that have to do with what I posted about the circaceptian cycles?
Sounds to me like you want to deny the truth of the circaceptian cycles in our bodies by changing the subject.
Nothing, and your information could be of interest to some.

I was guarding against that such a fact had something to do with WHAT DAY is acceptable, the subject of this thread, and your observation does not really affect this. Speaking of the working week, it appears that many under the Law actually worked and possibly worked hard six days a week and then they had a day of rest. They were most probably much healthier than most in this modern society.

I worked a 7 day shift-work for two years, rotating 7x 8 hour afternoon, 7x night and 7x day, a cycle that has now been replaced and improved. I do not recommend shift work for physical and mental health and social reasons, as I experienced. Nevertheless it was a good job and interesting. I was fortunate to spend my last 20 years on a 9 day fortnight with a better and more interesting job and spent most of the spare Mondays working on my hobby farm and we are now eating some of the fruit from these old trees.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again Gary K,

Nothing, and your information could be of interest to some.

I was guarding against that such a fact had something to do with WHAT DAY is acceptable, the subject of this thread, and your observation does not really affect this. Speaking of the working week, it appears that many under the Law actually worked and possibly worked hard six days a week and then they had a day of rest. They were most probably much healthier than most in this modern society.

I worked a 7 day shift-work for two years, rotating 7x 8 hour afternoon, 7x night and 7x day, a cycle that has now been replaced and improved. I do not recommend shift work for physical and mental health and social reasons, as I experienced. Nevertheless it was a good job and interesting. I was fortunate to spend my last 20 years on a 9 day fortnight with a better and more interesting job and spent most of the spare Mondays working on my hobby farm and we are now eating some of the fruit from these old trees.

Kind regards
Trevor
That's not my observation. That's the observation of scientific researchers starting in the late 1950s. It's irrefutable by now.

Greetings Walter and Debbie,

Christ is the True Sabbath Rest Matthew 11:25-30, Hebrews 4.

Kind regards
Trevor
Hello TrevorL, No Sir, Not in the way you are saying is not the way I'm saying with scriptural proof rightly divided as He did and explained Himself.

Love, Walter

Greetings Walter (and Debbie),
Hello TrevorL, No Sir, Not in the way you are saying is not the way I'm saying with scriptural proof rightly divided as He did and explained Himself.
I do not see the need to answer the Sabbath question in further detail. You would have examined both sides over many years, and I find the Sabbath claims having no real Scriptural support. The main proponents of this theory is the SDAs, but I imagine that in the USA there are other Sabbath keeping adherents.
Revelation 1:10. 10 On the Lord’s Day I was in the …
One reference that may not be readily answered by others, but I consider "the Lord's Day" represents the fact that the Apostle John was transported in vision to the Kingdom, and then he looked back at the events that would occur to bring about the end result, the Apocalypse of Jesus Christ. The "Lord's Day" is not the weekly Sabbath as John would have spent much more time than one day receiving all the visions.

The general summary of our area is that there are about 6 Churches, the Catholics have a Mass on Saturday night and another early Sunday morning and the impression is so that Catholics are not in any way restricted for sport and other activities on Sunday. The CofE is finished by 9am and consists mainly of about 20 old people over the age of 80 y.o. The SDA Church is quiet on Sunday, and I have not driven past on Saturday, as it is on a back street. EG White in her book The Great Controversy claims that the real controversy of the Last Days will be the Sabbath Question, and the SDAs will be persecuted when the Catholic Church proclaims Sunday as a compulsory Sabbath. According to the book, Christ will return and rescue the Sabbath keeping SDAs and take them to heaven, and then destroy all the rest of mankind and desolate the earth for the 1000 years. The SDAs will then be king/priests for the 1000 years by examining the books to see why all the wicked will be rejected at the end of the 1000 years. I am not sure if you are SDAs and consent to this teaching by their prophetess.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings Walter (and Debbie),

I do not see the need to answer the Sabbath question in further detail. You would have examined both sides over many years, and I find the Sabbath claims having no real Scriptural support. The main proponents of this theory is the SDAs, but I imagine that in the USA there are other Sabbath keeping adherents.

One reference that may not be readily answered by others, but I consider "the Lord's Day" represents the fact that the Apostle John was transported in vision to the Kingdom, and then he looked back at the events that would occur to bring about the end result, the Apocalypse of Jesus Christ. The "Lord's Day" is not the weekly Sabbath as John would have spent much more time than one day receiving all the visions.

The general summary of our area is that there are about 6 Churches, the Catholics have a Mass on Saturday night and another early Sunday morning and the impression is so that Catholics are not in any way restricted for sport and other activities on Sunday. The CofE is finished by 9am and consists mainly of about 20 old people over the age of 80 y.o. The SDA Church is quiet on Sunday, and I have not driven past on Saturday, as it is on a back street. EG White in her book The Great Controversy claims that the real controversy of the Last Days will be the Sabbath Question, and the SDAs will be persecuted when the Catholic Church proclaims Sunday as a compulsory Sabbath. According to the book, Christ will return and rescue the Sabbath keeping SDAs and take them to heaven, and then destroy all the rest of mankind and desolate the earth for the 1000 years. The SDAs will then be king/priests for the 1000 years by examining the books to see why all the wicked will be rejected at the end of the 1000 years. I am not sure if you are SDAs and consent to this teaching by their prophetess.

Kind regards
Trevor
So you go directly from liking my post about the biological evidence for the Sabbath to denying it? I don't think I understand your behavior.

Greetings again Gary K,
So you go directly from liking my post about the biological evidence for the Sabbath to denying it? I don't think I understand your behavior.
I am not sure if I particularly liked the exact point that you seem to be making, but I will let you be the judge of that. I like any field of science when it is properly understood and established. Physics and Mathematics were my specialty. One thing I have found, is that the more you know about some of these fields, the more you realise there is so much more to learn, and it often raises many more difficult questions. One of these days I will ask my son-in-law some of these as he is a University Lecturer and my daughter is a High School Science teacher. I have a large number of my daughter's books, but some I have never opened.

I find that some people who hold a particular doctrine will add something outside the Bible to substantiate their present convictions. By you stating here "the Sabbath" I am a bit cautious that this may be your agenda as the thread is to prove that we should keep the Sabbath, not just that any day is acceptable, such as some form of worship on a Sunday. I do not accept that the Sabbath is binding on the Gentile believers today and I do not "keep" Sunday as a Sabbath. I most probably stated this before, I worked a 9 day fortnight and had plenty of Rest time in my 2 1/2 days off.

Perhaps you should add your post to a science forum where it properly belongs.

Kid regards
Trevor

Greetings again Gary K,

I am not sure if I particularly liked the exact point that you seem to be making, but I will let you be the judge of that. I like any field of science when it is properly understood and established. Physics and Mathematics were my specialty. One thing I have found, is that the more you know about some of these fields, the more you realise there is so much more to learn, and it often raises many more difficult questions. One of these days I will ask my son-in-law some of these as he is a University Lecturer and my daughter is a High School Science teacher. I have a large number of my daughter's books, but some I have never opened.

I find that some people who hold a particular doctrine will add something outside the Bible to substantiate their present convictions. By you stating here "the Sabbath" I am a bit cautious that this may be your agenda as the thread is to prove that we should keep the Sabbath, not just that any day is acceptable, such as some form of worship on a Sunday. I do not accept that the Sabbath is binding on the Gentile believers today and I do not "keep" Sunday as a Sabbath. I most probably stated this before, I worked a 9 day fortnight and had plenty of Rest time in my 2 1/2 days off.

Perhaps you should add your post to a science forum where it properly belongs.

Kid regards
Trevor
This is the correct forum. Do you really think all eleven scientific teams that have studied this over the last 60+ years have all been composed of only Adventists?

I can demonstrate from scripture and Ellen White's writings that what she taught is scriptural. Want to see the evidence?

Greetings again Gary K,
I can demonstrate from scripture and Ellen White's writings that what she taught is scriptural. Want to see the evidence?
I have briefly read what E.G. White says about the Controversy of the Last Days, that it will be the Sabbath Question, and I think she says that there will be a proclamation that all should obey the Sunday Sabbath, and as a result the SDAs will be persecuted, but Jesus will return and rescue the SDAs and destroy the wicked. Now that is the general impression that I gained from the latter part of her book "The Great Controversy". In order to be accurate, I should actually quote her words, or possibly you can quote them, and then prove them from the Bible. I have a "SDA Box" of their literature, and will find the Book tomorrow. In the meantime, I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again Gary K,
I brought down the SDA Box this afternoon. My two main SDA reference books in this Box are:
SDA's Answer Questions on Doctrine 1957 (purchased in a 2nd Hand Bookshop)
SDA's - A Biblical Exposition of 27 Fundamental Doctrines (given to me by a friend at work after I had given him one of my fellowship's books, which explained my understanding of the Gospel)
I also did the full Correspondence Course "The Prophetic Code" and received a certificate at the end, even though some of my answers had some "corrections" in red ink.

I obtained E.G. White's book "The Great Controversy" as a result of answering a full page advertisement by the local SDA's and the Topic was something like The Impending National Sunday Law. I received as a result of my response the E.G. White Book, and also a small booklet "National Sunday Law - A Shocking Glimpse Behind the Scenes. Forces unite amid stupendous crisis" by A Jan Marcussen. I also received a DVD which has a recording of a talk by Doug Batchelor titled "The Final Events of Bible Prophecy". The paper advertisement (which I cannot now find) and both of these two items seem to endorse the teaching of E.G. White that the Sabbath Question will be an important factor of the End Times.

I would like to quote a few portions from the Book, "The Great Controversy" and ask,
1. "Where in the Bible is this taught?"
2. "Do SDA's consider these words as inspired, and that these events will happen as detailed?"
3 "Or that E.G. White simply embellished the story, and possibly used as a background the situation that could have been partly relevant in her day, but these facts and background are obviously not relevant to the actual End Times of Today?"

Chapter 39 "The Time of Trouble" runs from page 391 to 404, and we would need to read the whole chapter to gain an insight to all that she suggests will happen. She believes that a National Sunday Sabbath Law will be introduced and as a result the SDA's who obey God's Law, especially the Fourth Commandment will be persecuted.

For example on page 392, and she puts this in the present tense, after setting the scene earlier:
"As the Sabbath has become the special point of controversy throughout Christendom and religious and secular authorities have combined to enforce the observance of the Sunday, the persistent refusal of a small minority to yield to the popular demand will make them objects of universal execration." ....
"a decree will finally be issued against those who hallow the Sabbath of the Fourth commandment, denouncing them as deserving of the severest punishment and giving the people liberty, after a certain time, to put them to death".

I could quote much more, as she embellishes this concept, but the above could be sufficient. Could I ask, "Where in the Bible is this taught?"

Kind regards
Trevor

Saturday 3-9-24 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Adar 27 5784 78th. Winter Day

Bible Verses about The Sabbath - Great Powerful Scriptures

• Luke 4:16. 16 He went to Nazareth, where he had …
  • Mark 2:27. 27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath …
  • Matthew 24:20. 20 Pray that your flight will not …
  • Revelation 1:10. 10 On the Lord’s Day I was in the …

So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. Luke 4:16

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.” Mark 2:27-28

But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened. Matthew 24:19-22

I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, Revelation 1:10

Do you believe the sabbath is a "special" day and that the church should observe each sabbath the way it was required of the children of Israel under Moses?

JLB

So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. Luke 4:16

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.” Mark 2:27-28

But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened. Matthew 24:19-22

I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, Revelation 1:10

Do you believe the sabbath is a "special" day and that the church should observe each sabbath the way it was required of the children of Israel under Moses?

JLB
Good question JLB, Good morning, Yes, it is a sign between Him and us. Ezekiel 20:12

Love, Walter

Last edited:
Good question JBL, Good morning, Yes, it is a sign between Him and us. Ezekiel 20:12

Love, Walter

“Therefore I made them go out of the land of Egypt and brought them into the wilderness. And I gave them My statutes and showed them My judgments, which, if a man does, he shall live by them.’ Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the LORD who sanctifies them. Ezekiel 20:10-12

“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Exodus 31:13-15

• You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people.

Do you believe the New Testament Church is under the law of Moses?

Please explain how the Church under the New Covenant is to keep the Sabbath?

JLB

Do you believe the New Testament Church is under the law of Moses?
The law of Moses is supposed to be understood as the laws of God, Jesus came to fulfill, but we see in these end times some are not in obedience, as we are to follow his steps. 1 Peter 2:21

Please explain how the Church under the New Covenant is to keep the Sabbath?
We believe that as in Genesis 2:1-3 is what we are supposed to go by, Christians under the new covenant are not in full obedience, because of Mark 7:1-23.

Love, Walter

Greetings again Gary K,

I brought down the SDA Box this afternoon. My two main SDA reference books in this Box are:
SDA's Answer Questions on Doctrine 1957 (purchased in a 2nd Hand Bookshop)
SDA's - A Biblical Exposition of 27 Fundamental Doctrines (given to me by a friend at work after I had given him one of my fellowship's books, which explained my understanding of the Gospel)
I also did the full Correspondence Course "The Prophetic Code" and received a certificate at the end, even though some of my answers had some "corrections" in red ink.

I obtained E.G. White's book "The Great Controversy" as a result of answering a full page advertisement by the local SDA's and the Topic was something like The Impending National Sunday Law. I received as a result of my response the E.G. White Book, and also a small booklet "National Sunday Law - A Shocking Glimpse Behind the Scenes. Forces unite amid stupendous crisis" by A Jan Marcussen. I also received a DVD which has a recording of a talk by Doug Batchelor titled "The Final Events of Bible Prophecy". The paper advertisement (which I cannot now find) and both of these two items seem to endorse the teaching of E.G. White that the Sabbath Question will be an important factor of the End Times.

I would like to quote a few portions from the Book, "The Great Controversy" and ask,
1. "Where in the Bible is this taught?"
2. "Do SDA's consider these words as inspired, and that these events will happen as detailed?"
3 "Or that E.G. White simply embellished the story, and possibly used as a background the situation that could have been partly relevant in her day, but these facts and background are obviously not relevant to the actual End Times of Today?"

Chapter 39 "The Time of Trouble" runs from page 391 to 404, and we would need to read the whole chapter to gain an insight to all that she suggests will happen. She believes that a National Sunday Sabbath Law will be introduced and as a result the SDA's who obey God's Law, especially the Fourth Commandment will be persecuted.

For example on page 392, and she puts this in the present tense, after setting the scene earlier:
"As the Sabbath has become the special point of controversy throughout Christendom and religious and secular authorities have combined to enforce the observance of the Sunday, the persistent refusal of a small minority to yield to the popular demand will make them objects of universal execration." ....
"a decree will finally be issued against those who hallow the Sabbath of the Fourth commandment, denouncing them as deserving of the severest punishment and giving the people liberty, after a certain time, to put them to death".

I could quote much more, as she embellishes this concept, but the above could be sufficient. Could I ask, "Where in the Bible is this taught?"

Kind regards
Trevor
You are focusing on one section of her writings. She has a much broader scope to her teaching. Herr overall message is to trust God completely and that when we do He gives us not only the desire, but also the ability to obey His law. The second thing you are focusing on is rule keeping. IOW, legalism.

Jeremiah 31: 31 ¶ Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

So what is the result of the NC? That we will know God as individuals. No one will have to teach another participant in the NC who God is.

Notice the exact parallel John 17.

John 17: 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

So what is the result of having God's law written in our hearts? Eternal life. That is the inescapable conclusion.

So what does Ellen White say in relation to this?

All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with
Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our
thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to
His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our
own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest
delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege
to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through
an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with
God, sin will become hateful to us. Desire of Ages p. 668

So where does scripture or Ellen White leave room for legalism as a means of salvation? Both say it is God who worketh within us both to will and to do His good pleasure. In my experience it is Sunday keepers who focus on legalism, not genuine Sabbath keepers.

I freely admit the Adventist church has been legalistic for a long time it rejected the above concept in 1888. In doing so it rejected Ellen Whites writing as a whole for the concept is found throughout her writings. It also rejected the work of the HS in the human heart at the same time. However we have had ministers teaching this since the late 1970s and currently have many ministers teaching this.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back