Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Struggling with finding the right church or domination.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Clueless

Hello everyone,

This week I posted a Welcome tread on the forum to explain a little bit about my past faith, disbelief and how I found my way back to God.
You don't need to read the above post in order to answer my questions, but it might give you some insight in my recent life, to help you form your answer.

As Christianity is not new for me, the different dominations and churches are. Over the past year I have visited a few churches including the local Cathedral, another Catholic church near my home, two several protestant churches (dutch reformed > Calvinist and Lutheran), as well as a JW church. I wanted to visit an eastern orthodox church, but have not been able to get there in my city yet.

I have gotten to a point where I need to make a commitment to a church, maybe not so much to be part of specific religious domination, but to be able to surround myself with like-minded people, as well as being able to contribute to the local society. I understand that ''belief'' or ''faith'' itself is not enough, in order to become a more complete and moral human being, I should participate in the communities and I would like to join a biblical class as well as getting baptized.

This is the part where I struggle. I see the value of the major groups; catholics, eastern orthodox and protestant groups very well. Were it seems to me that the protestant group is less dependant on rituals and focus more on the biblical text, which is something that fits my individualitic mind and heritage. At the same time, catholisism or eastern orthodox, seems to value traditions more and long standing religious classic ways of life. Which attached a lot to my political and society view and conservative opinions.

Feel free to tell me ''pick A because of this and that'' but I'd also appreciate some advice that is practical. Like advice to read up on something, or who to speak to inside of the different communities to find this out. I don't want to be ''pulled into'' something by someone. Obviously the eastern orthodox will tell me their church is supreme, while my catholic housemate will say his church is supreme.

I hope you all understand what I'm asking! If not, I'll be happy to clarify.

Of course I meant ''denominations'', I see I wrote ''domination''.
"Freudian slip" ?

Decide what you want to give to God, and He will show you where to go.
If that is 10%, you will end up with the catholics or protestants.
If it is 50%, you will end up with one of the many unaffiliated "churches".
But if it is 100%, you will find God's church by Christ Jesus.

And welcome to the site, if I missed you earlier.

Hello everyone,

This week I posted a Welcome tread on the forum to explain a little bit about my past faith, disbelief and how I found my way back to God.
You don't need to read the above post in order to answer my questions, but it might give you some insight in my recent life, to help you form your answer.

As Christianity is not new for me, the different dominations and churches are. Over the past year I have visited a few churches including the local Cathedral, another Catholic church near my home, two several protestant churches (dutch reformed > Calvinist and Lutheran), as well as a JW church. I wanted to visit an eastern orthodox church, but have not been able to get there in my city yet.

I have gotten to a point where I need to make a commitment to a church, maybe not so much to be part of specific religious domination, but to be able to surround myself with like-minded people, as well as being able to contribute to the local society. I understand that ''belief'' or ''faith'' itself is not enough, in order to become a more complete and moral human being, I should participate in the communities and I would like to join a biblical class as well as getting baptized.

This is the part where I struggle. I see the value of the major groups; catholics, eastern orthodox and protestant groups very well. Were it seems to me that the protestant group is less dependant on rituals and focus more on the biblical text, which is something that fits my individualitic mind and heritage. At the same time, catholisism or eastern orthodox, seems to value traditions more and long standing religious classic ways of life. Which attached a lot to my political and society view and conservative opinions.

Feel free to tell me ''pick A because of this and that'' but I'd also appreciate some advice that is practical. Like advice to read up on something, or who to speak to inside of the different communities to find this out. I don't want to be ''pulled into'' something by someone. Obviously the eastern orthodox will tell me their church is supreme, while my catholic housemate will say his church is supreme.

I’d start with the basic premise of C S Lewis of common Christianity, a shared corridor which leads to denominational living rooms. Indeed, there is only one church (Mt.16:18), and many denominations (rooms) within the church. For various reasons I do not believe that Witnessism remains within the church.

Nor are all local churches within any given denomination (eg Baptist; Catholic; Elim; Mennonite; Nestorian; Orthodox; Salvationist), necessarily Christian. As in politics, one might support a Party yet not its local representative—or vice versa.

Convenience is a big thing. Why opt for a church 100 miles away, when a good church is on your doorstep? But as said, not all churches are equal. Each will have pros and cons, such as the makeup of its congregation. I admit that I suffer from Westernism, with its pick’n’choose mentality, which might have horrified Peter & Paul, let alone John. But perhaps the freedom to be fussy has some virtue unobtainable in the early C1. The balancing question is how well we will be able to bless a church we join as members, not as consumers.

Doctrinally there are Statements of Faith to consider, a big let down for Witnessism, Mormonism, and one or two others I’d call Christian Identity Cults. A feel of what to look for credally is pretty handy as a start. But as some say, not all Conservatives are conservative: what is the chick within the shell? Look for a denomination and local representative (ie church) which puts God before the world, and what he has said (and says) before politics (eg Correctivism; Communism). Under Nazi Germany there was a “Confessing Church” (a bad name but a right idea).

Spirit: does the church exhibit a love for God, a joy in corporate ‘worship’, and a helping hand to others, or is it dull and insular?

If you have a spouse, and perhaps children, do they fit (if appropriate)? A good start is important, and settling into a church more so.

I’d start with the basic premise of C S Lewis of common Christianity, a shared corridor which leads to denominational living rooms. Indeed, there is only one church (Mt.16:18), and many denominations (rooms) within the church. For various reasons I do not believe that Witnessism remains within the church.

Nor are all local churches within any given denomination (eg Baptist; Catholic; Elim; Mennonite; Nestorian; Orthodox; Salvationist), necessarily Christian. As in politics, one might support a Party yet not its local representative—or vice versa.

Convenience is a big thing. Why opt for a church 100 miles away, when a good church is on your doorstep? But as said, not all churches are equal. Each will have pros and cons, such as the makeup of its congregation. I admit that I suffer from Westernism, with its pick’n’choose mentality, which might have horrified Peter & Paul, let alone John. But perhaps the freedom to be fussy has some virtue unobtainable in the early C1. The balancing question is how well we will be able to bless a church we join as members, not as consumers.

Doctrinally there are Statements of Faith to consider, a big let down for Witnessism, Mormonism, and one or two others I’d call Christian Identity Cults. A feel of what to look for credally is pretty handy as a start. But as some say, not all Conservatives are conservative: what is the chick within the shell? Look for a denomination and local representative (ie church) which puts God before the world, and what he has said (and says) before politics (eg Correctivism; Communism). Under Nazi Germany there was a “Confessing Church” (a bad name but a right idea).

Spirit: does the church exhibit a love for God, a joy in corporate ‘worship’, and a helping hand to others, or is it dull and insular?

If you have a spouse, and perhaps children, do they fit (if appropriate)? A good start is important, and settling into a church more so.
Hey Vinny, Thank you for taking the time to reply and sending me such an extensive answer. Some of the tips and advice you give definitely will help me, like reading a book.

My point is certainly not to treat God, Jesus or religion like consumerism. However, in a modern day society, especially as someone who is relitavely new to (not to the concept) but of making a commitment to a Church, it can all be quite confusing. I feel like a lot of people are pulling me from sides and my whole point of the questions was that I do not want to be pulled into making a stupid decision for myself.

I believe mormons is a quite American thing (well never heard of a mormon in my country, but they are probably there). Something like JW i see a lot of horrific stories in our news, documentaries etc. Where people can get lifelong bans and get kicked out and ignored by communities, and I'm sure Christ didn't talk about cancelling people because of the intrepetation of a verse in the testament.

I'll start with reading that book you suggested. And also speak to the local representetives in the close churches, to see what they can do for me and how they will answer my questions. I'll defintly take your advice into consideration. Thanks for the serious answer.

"Freudian slip" ?

Decide what you want to give to God, and He will show you where to go.
If that is 10%, you will end up with the catholics or protestants.
If it is 50%, you will end up with one of the many unaffiliated "churches".
But if it is 100%, you will find God's church by Christ Jesus.

And welcome to the site, if I missed you earlier.
Freudian slip, I think it's more of language barrier xD. As a non-native speaker I'd like to believe that my English level is quite sufficient, but in spelling or grammar I have difficulties, talking is a lot easier, the typo's and spelling mistakes don't manifests itself there :tongue

Thanks for the welcome. Although I do not understand your comments about the percentages. Care to elaborate for me?

Were it seems to me that the protestant group is less dependant on rituals and focus more on the biblical text, which is something that fits my individualitic mind and heritage. At the same time, catholisism or eastern orthodox, seems to value traditions more and long standing religious classic ways of life.
Accurate observation. It gets down to the question: What is truth? Both sides will explain why they're right with long explanations of 'this' and 'that'. So, what is truth?

Feel free to tell me ''pick A because of this and that'' but I'd also appreciate some advice that is practical.

Obviously the eastern orthodox will tell me their church is supreme, while my catholic housemate will say his church is supreme.
So true. What is truth?

You might hap-haphazardly come to the truth by semi randomly talking to an intelligent, informed, smooth talker who happens to preach truth or you might put you trust in a person with similar skills who does not speak the truth.

Assuming you've decided to follow some yet to be determined Christian denomination ...
I guess the first thing you must decide: What is the source of truth?

This question has two possible answers that I am aware of:
1) Tradition (the R.C. church) which says the official channels of the R.C. church will determine truth including the inclusion of the apocrypha as part to the Bible
2) Sola Scriptura ... the only source of truth is the Bible

I am more familiar with #2 (sola scriptura) so I can only speak of the next step based on the premise that all truth is only found there.

Next problem (assuming you believe Sola Scriptura is the only source of truth) ...
The Problem Defined
Theology introduces us to an unseen world, one far greater and more enduring than the world we see and touch. This means that doing theology is the most important task that any human being can undertake.

The Bible is to the theologian what nature is to the scientist, --a body of unorganized or only partially organized facts. It is necessary, therefore, if we are to know all the facts on any given subject for us to gather together the scattered teachings and to construct them into a logical and harmonious system. The function of systematic theology is to unfold the Bible using revelation and reason; where the former trumps the latter. It is the orderly collecting, scientifically arranging, comparing, exhibiting and defending of all facts from any and every biblical source concerning God and His works. Ideally, all facts forming a doctrine are harmonious; on occasion not all the facts are harmonious for man is finite and God is infinite. Isaiah 55:8 (AMP) “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts higher than your thoughts. Author Unknown
Next Question

..... so, where does one get one's hands on a Systematic Theology book and how do I know that one author of the subject gets it right? Well, you can't know that a particular author gets it all right, but by reading 3 or 4 Systematic Theology books by various authors you can contrast situations where there is disagreement. Given the subject is Systematic Theology one can expect that each area covered will have plenty of scriptures to back it up. Scripture is the foundation of truth if one believes Sola Scriptura is the source of truth.

So, assuming you think my explanation to be worth investigating further I would suggest you read:
Wayne Grudem - Systematic Theology_ An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine
Note: Grudem does mention other people's thoughts on various subject matter. If you answer this post and make a request, I can email you a copy of said book. If you read Grudem and agree that this is an interesting avenue to investigate further I could give you other authors who have written Systematic Theology books. If your an organized academic your study might be enhanced by making notes IMO.

Truth is a difficult thing to find and no one finds it unless: 1 Cor. 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. Take advantage of scholars for God gives us teachers to aid us (which gets us back to the question of which teachers teach truth)

Aside: I read your "Back to Jesus" thread. You write very well for someone for which English is a second language. Interesting story. Your question shows wisdom. Hope you find truth. Few do. "small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Hello everyone,

Asked God to lead you.
For myself I realize its not so much the church but like minded people.

There are a lot of people who go to church but not all who go to church are the church.

You come together to encourage one another in good works. Maybe to see who has a need among you. Or to confess your sins in a safe place. But the reality in my opinion is to go out doing good. So maybe be a part of those in a specific ministry. Bible study too or even a small group. Why did people meet at houses? Maybe a group in your neighborhood.

Ultimately trust God for yourself. Committ to Him..and find people who want to do the same.

Freudian slip, I think it's more of language barrier xD. As a non-native speaker I'd like to believe that my English level is quite sufficient, but in spelling or grammar I have difficulties, talking is a lot easier, the typo's and spelling mistakes don't manifests itself there :tongue
Your use of English is really quite good !
Thanks for the welcome. Although I do not understand your comments about the percentages. Care to elaborate for me?
Some just want you in a seat on Sunday.
Some "churches" require a certain level of participation from its members, whether financially, or a personal presence in select organizations within the "church".
Others require more, or less, participation, time, or money.
God's church requires your entire life.

If you will submit to God, you will realize that all you have is from Him anyway, so not of as much value as you once thought.
If you will "be there" for God, He will "be there" for you.

Accurate observation. It gets down to the question: What is truth? Both sides will explain why they're right with long explanations of 'this' and 'that'. So, what is truth?

(...)

Aside: I read your "Back to Jesus" thread. You write very well for someone for which English is a second language. Interesting story. Your question shows wisdom. Hope you find truth. Few do. "small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Hey Fastfredy0, I really appreciate your long answer. I'm going to think about what you said. I'm definitly going to reply back to you in more detail, but currently I'm travelling abroad so I don't have all the time currently.

I can say that I'll that i'll be interested in that book.

It happens to be that when reading the bible I do make notes and I made a note recently about the verse from Matthew 7:13-14 about the narrow road.

I had an interesting thought there which I wrote down in my diary ''The ironical symbolic is that when you see an escalator next to stairs, usually the escalator is the narrow path and the stairs the wide path. The irony is that the much used escalator is the symbol of stuffed capitalism and laziness. Where the healthy path, the not overlooked path is the stairs and often skipped just out of convenience''.

In a few days I have more time to grab my laptop and I'll get back to you about the rest of your post.

Thanks <3

Hello everyone,

First you need to pray and ask the Holy Spirit to lead you to where you need to be for your Spiritual learning and fellowshipping with other Spiritually born again Christians. Ask to read their statement of faith and ask if they believe in the Trinity of God as this is very important. Make sure the Pastor is approachable being able to answer any questions you have. Never rely on the Pastor (mere man) to teach you unless they have been called and anointed by the Holy Spirit to teach. You can tell by what they preach/teach as you take the scriptures they give and read them for yourself to know what they teach lines up with the word of God as many will twist the scriptures adding to and taking away from them as Jesus warned us of the false Preacher/Teachers that are out there. Feel free to use the Q&A forum here in the forums as there are no stupid questions, but at times stupid answers, LOL. We are here for you and will help you in any ways we can.

God bless and have a great day.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back