Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Dead Will Hear the Voice of the Son of God - John 5:25

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

SolaScriptura

2024 Supporter

These words are spoken by Jesus Christ, to the Jews who wanted to stone Him to death, for, not only working on the Sabbath Day; but, for also calling the Father His OWN, in a very Unique and Personal way.

The passage can be seen, especially from verse 16, where we read of the Jews being enraged by Jesus’ actions and words, and Jesus’ conversation with them.

There is no indication in this chapter, that any of these Jews ever believed on Jesus as The Messiah, and Saviour.

The words in verse 24 and 25, are also directly addressed to these wicked Jews:

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live”

It is very clear to those who are interested in what the Bible ACTUALLY teaches, that here, Jesus is saying that even these Jews, who wanted to murder Him, had the ABILITY to HEAR the Gospel Message for their salvation! This is AGAINST the FANCIFUL THEORY of the so called “Reformed”, who say that God has only made it possible for the “elect”, to HEAR the Gospel! Jesus Himself calls out their UNBIBLICAL NONSENSE!

Note, that even though ALL the spiritual dead with indeed be able to HEAR, it is ONLY those from these who actually HEAR, as in OBEY and ACCEPT what Jesus is saying, who will be saved!

Jesus goes on to tell these same Jews:

“But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life” (38-40)

Some important points made here by Jesus. Firstly, it is clear that those who Jesus is speaking to, these Jews, were in no way “saved”, as “His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe”. Secondly, these same Jews, Jesus says, were searching the Scriptures to find eternal life, so they were SEEKERS. Thirdly, they were SEEING in the wrong place! Because the very Scriptures that these were SEARCHING for eternal life, Speak of Jesus Christ. Fourthly, these Jews were UNWILLING to go to Jesus Christ, so that they could also have eternal life. The Greek here cannot be taken to mean, “they could not” come to Jesus, because God had not ENABLED them to, as some would distort!

In fact, in verse 34, Jesus tells these same Jews, “Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved”. Jesus clearly WISHED that they would get saved, as He was speaking to them for this very purpose.

It is GROSS ERROR for anyone to teach, that only the “elect” are ABLE to hear the Gospel for their salvation, and the rest are spiritually damned. Jesus Himself destroys this HERSEY!

SolaScriptura

It is very clear to those who are interested in what the Bible ACTUALLY teaches, that here, Jesus is saying that even these Jews, who wanted to murder Him, had the ABILITY to HEAR the Gospel Message for their salvation!

False thats your false assumption and interjection. Man naturally doesnt have the ability to spiritually hear the word of God, he must first be of God, Jesus says who can hear spiritually Jn 8:43,47

43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Just another thread for all of us to argue about. Once again is the assumption that because Jesus said something to these people that they had the ability to obey.

You quote one passage and then assume that it means what you think it should mean, even though it contradicts clearer passages.

John 5:46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

Jesus is giving a rhetorical question here where the expected answer is "they can't."
If you believed Moses you would believe Me
You do not believe Moses
Therefore you cannot believe me.

Romans 11:7 What then? What the people of Israel sought so earnestly they did not obtain. The elect among them did, but the others were hardened, 8 as it is written:
“God gave them a spirit of stupor,
eyes that could not see
and ears that could not hear,
to this very day.”

Romans 9:18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden
23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Notice those whom He called from the Jews and Gentiles. Not all Jews and Gentiles, but some from.

Until you are able to receive, acknowledge, welcome, what Scripture really teaches, you will spend your time on here arguing with people rather than really studying to make yourself approved.

Just another thread for all of us to argue about. Once again is the assumption that because Jesus said something to these people that they had the ability to obey.

You quote one passage and then assume that it means what you think it should mean, even though it contradicts clearer passages.

John 5:46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

Jesus is giving a rhetorical question here where the expected answer is "they can't."
If you believed Moses you would believe Me
You do not believe Moses
Therefore you cannot believe me.

Romans 11:7 What then? What the people of Israel sought so earnestly they did not obtain. The elect among them did, but the others were hardened, 8 as it is written:
“God gave them a spirit of stupor,
eyes that could not see
and ears that could not hear,
to this very day.”

Romans 9:18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden
23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Notice those whom He called from the Jews and Gentiles. Not all Jews and Gentiles, but some from.

Until you are able to receive, acknowledge, welcome, what Scripture really teaches, you will spend your time on here arguing with people rather than really studying to make yourself approved.

Deal with the passages as quoted in the OP. Try to disprove what I have shown from the very words of Jesus Christ. It is very clear to those who don't have a theological "bent", like the "Reformed/Calvinists"

You are arguing your personal views and misusing Scriptures to do so!

These words are spoken by Jesus Christ, to the Jews who wanted to stone Him to death, for, not only working on the Sabbath Day; but, for also calling the Father His OWN, in a very Unique and Personal way.

The passage can be seen, especially from verse 16, where we read of the Jews being enraged by Jesus’ actions and words, and Jesus’ conversation with them.

There is no indication in this chapter, that any of these Jews ever believed on Jesus as The Messiah, and Saviour.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live”

It is very clear to those who are interested in what the Bible ACTUALLY teaches, that here, Jesus is saying that even these Jews, who wanted to murder Him, had the ABILITY to HEAR the Gospel Message for their salvation! This is AGAINST the FANCIFUL THEORY of the so called “Reformed”, who say that God has only made it possible for the “elect”, to HEAR the Gospel! Jesus Himself calls out their UNBIBLICAL NONSENSE!

Note, that even though ALL the spiritual dead with indeed be able to HEAR, it is ONLY those from these who actually HEAR, as in OBEY and ACCEPT what Jesus is saying, who will be saved!

“But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life” (38-40)

Some important points made here by Jesus. Firstly, it is clear that those who Jesus is speaking to, these Jews, were in no way “saved”, as “His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe”. Secondly, these same Jews, Jesus says, were searching the Scriptures to find eternal life, so they were SEEKERS. Thirdly, they were SEEING in the wrong place! Because the very Scriptures that these were SEARCHING for eternal life, Speak of Jesus Christ. Fourthly, these Jews were UNWILLING to go to Jesus Christ, so that they could also have eternal life. The Greek here cannot be taken to mean, “they could not” come to Jesus, because God had not ENABLED them to, as some would distort!

In fact, in verse 34, Jesus tells these same Jews, “Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved”. Jesus clearly WISHED that they would get saved, as He was speaking to them for this very purpose.

It is GROSS ERROR for anyone to teach, that only the “elect” are ABLE to hear the Gospel for their salvation, and the rest are spiritually damned. Jesus Himself destroys this HERSEY!
No scripture you have shown says the spiritually dead has the ability to hear. Now they do when Christ makes them alive, raises them from the dead, like the physically dead Lazarus signified. If it wasn't for Jesus miracle work, Lazarus had no ability to physically hear Jesus voice. So if a spiritually dead person ever believes, it wasn't by their own natural ability, but it was done by the resurrection power of Christ. Jn 11:25

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Jesus was the resurrection before He actually died and rose again in time.

Deal with the passages as quoted in the OP. Try to disprove what I have shown from the very words of Jesus Christ.
But is wasn't the passages you quoted that was the problem. It was your false assumptions.
Jesus is saying that even these Jews, who wanted to murder Him, had the ABILITY to HEAR the Gospel Message for their salvation!
He says nothing like that.
You are referring to John 5: 24-25
24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

Just saying "whoever hears" is not the same as "everybody has the ability to hear."

I refuted your assumption that those Jews had the ability to hear with Jesus own words.
Joh 10:26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

The above is as clear as a bell.
My sheep hear my voice
you are not of my sheep
Therefore (the because in verse 26) you do not hear and thus do not believe.

Again, clear teaching from Jesus that refutes your human assumptions of "free will."

But is wasn't the passages you quoted that was the problem. It was your false assumptions.

He says nothing like that.

You are referring to John 5: 24-25
24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

Just saying "whoever hears" is not the same as "everybody has the ability to hear."

I refuted your assumption that those Jews had the ability to hear with Jesus own words.
Joh 10:26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

The above is as clear as a bell.
My sheep hear my voice
you are not of my sheep
Therefore (the because in verse 26) you do not hear and thus do not believe.

Again, clear teaching from Jesus that refutes your human assumptions of "free will."

Your ASSUMPTIONS are NOT what Jesus clearly said

You don't like what He says :yes

I showed passages by Jesus saying things that you do not like. I made no assumptions. I only showed logical links.

Read John chapter 5 again, verses 16 to the end. You will see that Jesus is talking mainly to the Jews who wanted to stone Him and says to them that they are able to hear the Gospel Message for their salvation, but they choose to reject Him.

All very clear to anyone who is not blinded by their views

Read John chapter 5 again, verses 16 to the end. You will see that Jesus is talking mainly to the Jews who wanted to stone Him and says to them that they are able to hear the Gospel Message for their salvation, but they choose to reject Him.

All very clear to anyone who is not blinded by their views
Says nothing of the sort

I searched through my computer Bible for "able to hear the Gospel Message for their salvation" and it isn't in there anywhere. So you must be making them up.

Actually, I shortened it down to just "able to hear" and all I got was:
Mar 4:33 And with many such parables He spoke the word to them as they were able to hear it.
Cross referenced with:
Joh 16:12 "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

You will see that Jesus is talking mainly to the Jews who wanted to stone Him and says to them that they are able to hear the Gospel Message for their salvation, but they choose to reject Him.
I will accept that they were able to hear with their ears what Jesus was saying. This proves it:
Joh 11:47 Then the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council and said, "What shall we do? For this Man works many signs. 48 If we let Him alone like this, everyone will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and nation."

They heard political things, not spiritual things.
From Robertson's Word Pictures:
Only if the people take Jesus as their political Messiah (Joh_6:15) as they had once started to do. This is a curious muddle for the rulers knew that Jesus did not claim to be a political Messiah and would not be a rival to Caesar. And yet they use this fear (their own belief about the Messiah) to stir themselves to frenzy as they will use it with Pilate later.

Joh 6:15 Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone.

They were not hearing the gospel, they were hearing political threats to their jobs.

I searched through my computer Bible for "able to hear the Gospel Message for their salvation" and it isn't in there anywhere. So you must be making them up.

Actually, I shortened it down to just "able to hear" and all I got was:
Mar 4:33 And with many such parables He spoke the word to them as they were able to hear it.
Cross referenced with:
Joh 16:12 "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
Jn 5:25-28

25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
These scriptures show that man doesnt have the ability to hear spiritually,
Jn 5:25 shows that the spiritual dead, without the voice of the Son of God causing the hearing, it would be none,
And Vs 28 shows that the physically dead couldnt hear without the voice of the Son of God,
Just like Lazarus, naturally he wouldnt have had the ability to hear the voice of the Son of God, it was a Miracle

Jn 11:40-47

40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.

42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

44 And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

45 Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

46 But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done.

47 Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.

I will accept that they were able to hear with their ears what Jesus was saying. This proves it:
Joh 11:47 Then the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council and said, "What shall we do? For this Man works many signs. 48 If we let Him alone like this, everyone will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and nation."

They heard political things, not spiritual things.
From Robertson's Word Pictures:
Only if the people take Jesus as their political Messiah (Joh_6:15) as they had once started to do. This is a curious muddle for the rulers knew that Jesus did not claim to be a political Messiah and would not be a rival to Caesar. And yet they use this fear (their own belief about the Messiah) to stir themselves to frenzy as they will use it with Pilate later.

Joh 6:15 Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone.

They were not hearing the gospel, they were hearing political threats to their jobs.

So Jesus Christ is mistaken?

I agree with you. I also believe the dead who hear and live is the 1st resurrection.Jesus

And Vs 28 shows that the physically dead couldnt hear without the voice of the Son of God,
Just like Lazarus, naturally he wouldnt have had the ability to hear the voice of the Son of God, it was a Miracle
Yes, Jesus says several times:
Joh 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 6:65 And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father."

John 6:37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.

John 6:45 It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT BY GOD.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

Let's put these together.
No one comes to Jesus unless the Father draws them.
No one comes to Jesus unless it has been granted by the Father
Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Jesus
The "drawing" and "being granted" is equivalent to hearing and learning from the Father.
Only those who hear and learn from the Father come to Jesus.
The good and necessary inference from the above is that not everybody has been given to Jesus by the Father. (All that the Father gives Me will come to Me)
Therefore, those Jews Jesus was talking too were not given to Jesus by the Father. They were not His sheep.

John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
John 10:29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.
John 6:37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me
John 6:39
This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.

Again, the Father has given certain people to Jesus as sheep.
All the Father gives to Jesus will come to Him.
It is the Father's will that Jesus lose none of them.
Therefore, Jesus does not loose any sheep.
Then what all about all the lost? Logical answer - they were not Jesus sheep
Joh_10:26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.

But people will still stick their "whosoevers" and "whoevers."

No, you are mistaken. Don't put your assumptions in the mouth of Jesus.

OPEN your eyes to what the BIBLE ACTUALLY SAYS!

WHO is Jesus speaking to in John chapter 5, verses 16-47?

It is the Jews who wanted to murder Him!

It is to THESE that He says that they CAN HEAR the Voice of the Son of God. This means that ALL humans are ABLE to HEAR the Gospel Message for their salvation; and EVERY SINGLE ONE has the ABILITY to either ACCEPT or REJECT this Message

Anything else is humanistic RUBBISH!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back