Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What does 2 Cor 1:22 and 5:5 mean?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

FreeGrace

2 Cor 1:22
Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. KJV

"sealed" - sphragizō
1) to set a seal upon, mark with a seal, to seal
1a) for security: from Satan
1b) since things sealed up are concealed (as the contents of aletter), to hide, keep in silence, keep secret
1c) in order to mark a person or a thing
1c1) to set a mark upon by the impress of a seal or a stamp
1c2) angels are said to be sealed by God
1d) in order to prove, confirm, or attest a thing
1d1) to confirm authenticate, place beyond doubt
1d1a) of a written document
1d1b) to prove one’s testimony to a person that he iswhat he professes to be

"earnest" - arrhabōn
1) an earnest
1a) money which in purchases is given as a pledge or down payment that the full amount will subsequently be paid

2 Cor 5:5
Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. KJV

NIV: 1:22 - set his seal of ownership on us,and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

5:5 - Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

NASB: 1:22 - who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.
5:5 - Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge.

I've never found the KJV to be "reader-friendly" in this century. So I included 2 other translations.

So, what does this "seal" or "pledge" refer to? It is clear that God gives the Holy Spirit to those who believe, as a pledge, or seal. I've given the lexicon meanings of both "seal" and "earnest (pledge).

I believe these verses are directly related to Eph 1:13,14 and 4:30:

1:13-14
13In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory. NASB

4:30
Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. NASB

Keep in mind Rom 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. NASB

As well, recall Rom 11:29 - for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

This thread is about the meaning of 2 Cor 1:22 and 5:5, in light of these other verses. This is not a debate about whether OSAS is true or false. It IS about how to understand 2 Cor 1:22 and 5:5 in light of the other verses given.

So, for those who reject OSAS, please exegete 2 Cor 1:22 and 5:5, as well as Eph 1:13, 4:30 and Rom 11:29.

If they are not related verses, please explain specifically why not.

These verses mean we become joint heirs with Christ of the inheritance of the kingdom of God as we are promised eternal life with the Father. The Holy Spirit bares witness that we are of Christ through the Spiritual renewal of John 3:3-7 and Romans 10:9, 10. The only way to lose this inheritance is if we grieve the Holy Spirit by denouncing Christ as Lord and Savior.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Rom 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

These verses mean we become joint heirs with Christ of the inheritance of the kingdom of God as we are promised eternal life with the Father.
Actually, Rom 8:17b says that we become joint or co-heirs with Christ IF we suffer for His name.

I was looking for an explanation of the sealing of the Holy Spirit and "deposit/earnest" for the "day of redemption". If one is sealed for the day of redemption, are there any verses that teach that the sealing of the Holy Spirit can be broken. If so, how?

The Holy Spirit bares witness that we are of Christ through the Spiritual renewal of John 3:3-7 and Romans 10:9, 10.
The OP is dealing with the verses given. No need to bring in more verses.

The only way to lose this inheritance is if we grieve the Holy Spirit by denouncing Christ as Lord and Savior.
Are there any verses that say so? Also, what do you mean by "losing this inheritancer" specifically?

FreeGrace: Actually, Rom 8:17b says that we become joint or co-heirs with Christ IF we suffer for His name.

I think I already said that so we do agree on that verse.

I believe the verse you might be looking for how that seal can be broken is found in Matthew 12:31-33

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

BTW, why do you have a problem with others displaying other verses to back themselves up with scripture? The ones I posted were to show how the Holy Spirit bares witness that we are joint heirs with Christ.

These verses mean we become joint heirs with Christ of the inheritance of the kingdom of God as we are promised eternal life with the Father. The Holy Spirit bares witness that we are of Christ through the Spiritual renewal of John 3:3-7 and Romans 10:9, 10. The only way to lose this inheritance is if we grieve the Holy Spirit by denouncing Christ as Lord and Savior.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Rom 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Being sealed with the Spirit is our positional sanctification. Being joint-heirs with The Lord Jesus Christ is the result of our experiential sanctification in time or this life. If we suffer (undeservedly) with Him, we are rewarded with being joint-heirs with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Rom 8:17~~ On the one hand we are heirs of God(positional sanctification) on the other hand we are Joint-heirs with Christ(experiential sanctification.)

We cannot lose the sealing of the Spirit or the gift of God of becoming children of God.

We can lose the inheritance of Being joint-heirs with the Lord in His Kingdom.

John 14:15-17 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of truth..........Sealed with the Holy Spirit

We are justified at the time of repentance and Spiritual renewal. We then grow in Spiritual maturity as we are now risen with Christ and seek those things from above. Progressive sanctification is only accomplished by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who teaches us all things and brings us into Spiritual maturity. Ultimate sanctification is the future glorification when we are transformed into the likeness of Christ and come before the Lord as holy.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Paul taught to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling for it's God that works in us which is a progression that on the day of redemption we stand blameless before God, Philippians 2:12, 13.

I believe the verse you might be looking for how that seal can be broken is found in Matthew 12:31-33

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
Except for one, uh, small thing: there is no mention of a seal, or of anything breaking. So, no, this passage does not teach that the seal can be broken.

And, the context of that passage was only applicable to those it was directed to; the unbelieving Jews who claimed that Jesus was demon possessed. They had the Messiah right in front of them, performing miracle after miracle to demonstrate His power and authority, and they rejected it.

BTW, why do you have a problem with others displaying other verses to back themselves up with scripture? The ones I posted were to show how the Holy Spirit bares witness that we are joint heirs with Christ.
Which had nothing to do with the OP. I am looking for those who reject OSAS to exegete the verses I provided, because, to me, those verses clearly indicate that the Holy Spirit seals all who have believed until the "day of redemption", which seems a real clear promise that those who have been so sealed remain saved.

I'm not sure what your view is on that.

We are justified at the time of repentance and Spiritual renewal.
The Scriptural words aren't "renewal", but regeneration, born again, new birth. No one is "renewed". Rather, believers are reborn.

Paul taught to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling for it's God that works in us which is a progression that on the day of redemption we stand blameless before God, Philippians 2:12, 13.
Which tense of "salvation" here do you think Paul was referring to: past, present, or future salvation?

Except for one, uh, small thing: there is no mention of a seal, or of anything breaking. So, no, this passage does not teach that the seal can be broken.

And, the context of that passage was only applicable to those it was directed to; the unbelieving Jews who claimed that Jesus was demon possessed. They had the Messiah right in front of them, performing miracle after miracle to demonstrate His power and authority, and they rejected it.

Which had nothing to do with the OP. I am looking for those who reject OSAS to exegete the verses I provided, because, to me, those verses clearly indicate that the Holy Spirit seals all who have believed until the "day of redemption", which seems a real clear promise that those who have been so sealed remain saved.

I'm not sure what your view is on that.

I dove into a study on the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I had to change what I believed on it. I believe you are 100% correct, that it can't happen in this dispensation(church age). It was for the unbelieving Jew when Jesus was in the hypostatic union, performing miracles and was accused of doing them in the power of satan.

I dove into a study on the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I had to change what I believed on it. I believe you are 100% correct, that it can't happen in this dispensation(church age). It was for the unbelieving Jew when Jesus was in the hypostatic union, performing miracles and was accused of doing them in the power of satan.
Exactly!

2 Corinthians 1:2;5:5;Ephesians 1:13-14
The Holy Spirit is God's seal on His people.He claims us as His very own.The gift of the Spirit is an assurance of our heavenly inheritance.It is because the Spirit has sealed us that we are assured of our salvation.No one can break the seal of God.

In all of your verses used when the "sealing" of the Spirit is mentioned, they are all culminative aorist tenses.

The culminative aorist looks at the action from the standpoint of the finished or complete work. So when a believer is sealed with the Spirit, it said from the vantage of the finished work. If we could be "unsealed" it would not be said from the vantage of the complete or finished work.

They are also all in the passive voice.....the subject is being acted upon for their sealing.

They are all in the indicative mood.....a dogmatic statement of fact and is doctrinal in nature......A dogmatic statement of bible doctrine.

.....the subject is being acted upon for their sealing.

Being acted upon by who?

2 Corinthians 1:21 (LEB) Now the one who establishes us together with you in Christ and who anoints us is God, ...

No wonder it's stated as dogmatic and as a completed work.

2 Corinthians 2:15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved ...

How about this verse Paul says next about HS sealed people? Are we the active aroma of Christ to God now (present tense)? And if so, does not God view things of Christ as pleasing to Him from an everlasting vantage point?

Being acted upon by who?

2 Corinthians 1:21 (LEB) Now the one who establishes us together with you in Christ and who anoints us is God, ...

No wonder it's stated as dogmatic and as a completed work.

2 Corinthians 2:15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved ...

How about this verse Paul says next about HS sealed people? Are we the active aroma of Christ to God now (present tense)? And if so, does not God view things of Christ as pleasing to Him from an everlasting vantage point?
2 Cor 2:15~~"we are"......which is EIMI in the Greek is a static present and is a condition that is the Status-quo existence. A condition that perpetually exists. The aroma is what Christ did on the Cross for the person who put his/her faith in Christ alone.

In all of your verses used when the "sealing" of the Spirit is mentioned, they are all culminative aorist tenses.

The culminative aorist looks at the action from the standpoint of the finished or complete work. So when a believer is sealed with the Spirit, it said from the vantage of the finished work. If we could be "unsealed" it would not be said from the vantage of the complete or finished work.

They are also all in the passive voice.....the subject is being acted upon for their sealing.

They are all in the indicative mood.....a dogmatic statement of fact and is doctrinal in nature......A dogmatic statement of bible doctrine.
:confused2

I think one wants to be confused??? I just have the very basics of Greek and am a idiot and it makes sense to me.

Honestly Reba, what is confusing about it? Because if you got it, you would no longer be on the fence about eternal security.

The culminative aroist in the Greek of "sealed" tells us that God said this from His omniscience of knowing the end result and saying it from the end result of being sealed. Which means that the sealing is finished and complete and NOTHING can change that fact. He said it from the finished perspective.

The Passive voice of "sealed" is God doing the sealing of the believer and God alone. God Seals us........a seal that CANNOT be broken by mere man.

The indicative mood of "sealed" says that it is the ultimate truth. It is Dogmatic. Nothing will change this. Once sealed always sealed. And it is blasphemous to say that we can be unsealed. the indicative mood sets it in stone. If we say otherwise, we are changing this dogmatic, indicative, solid and forever TRUTH.

gr8grace3
partly my reply was a silly way of saying i dont get it... the truth is i would have to look up a a lot of that ...

i just looked culminative aorist and am just as confused...You stated you have very basic Greek that is 100 % more then i have..
Being willing to show my ignorance i would hope would not come back to me in subtil rudeness..

The Passive voice of "sealed" is God doing the sealing of the believer and God alone. << this i have to study think about etc. Why is passive capitalized?

God Seals us........a seal that CANNOT be broken by mere man.<<< this i totally understand...

I will do us both a favor and not let ya know i dont 'get it'.

gr8grace3
partly my reply was a silly way of saying i dont get it... the truth is i would have to look up a a lot of that ...

i just looked culminative aorist and am just as confused...You stated you have very basic Greek that is 100 % more then i have..
Being willing to show my ignorance i would hope would not come back to me in subtil rudeness..

The Passive voice of "sealed" is God doing the sealing of the believer and God alone. << this i have to study think about etc. Why is passive capitalized?

God Seals us........a seal that CANNOT be broken by mere man.<<< this i totally understand...

I will do us both a favor and not let ya know i dont 'get it'.
I did not mean to be rude sister. I just encourage you to "look it up" ......I had to. I think we all have to. And it makes us better students of the word.

Sorry about capitalized letters, I get to typing to fast. And it is habit.

I meant not to offend. But when it comes to eternal security and loss of salvation it divides. We all CANNOT grow in the Lord if we do not have eternal security solidified in our minds. And it truly pangs me to see believers that have been in the lord for years and believe that they can lose salvation. They are missing out on SOOOOO much. We CANNOT grow spiritually if we spend our lives trying to keep ourselves saved!!!! Our view of scripture will be completely skewed if we do not see ourselves as eternally secure in Christ.

This doctrine is of the utmost importance to the believer if the believer wants to "see" the scriptures as they are and grow in the Lord and Have rewards and crowns to cast in front of our Lord.

I did not mean to be rude sister. I just encourage you to "look it up" ......I had to. I think we all have to. And it makes us better students of the word.
ok :)

Sorry about capitalized letters, I get to typing to fast. And it is habit.
i did not know if the capitalizing the word was important to your explanation ..

I will leave this for those who have a better understanding of the how you are saying what you say...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back